Raspberry pi

Forum about Domotiga Open Source Home Automation for Linux.

Moderator: RDNZL

FoRMaTC

Re: Raspberry pi

Post by FoRMaTC »

I completly have had it, after numerous reboots, system stuck etc I stopped putting energy in the Pi
stevepyle
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by stevepyle »

Don't give up........ Nearly took a hammer to my Pi :D,even undertaken the USB power hacks and shorted out the poly fuses to no avail the Pi would lock up after a few hours with a RFXcom TRX, jeelabs dongle, CC128 all powered from a belkin powered 7 port hub , disabled eth0 (as per pendul's previous post) and used a compatable wifi dongle installed to one of the USB ports of the Pi it would lock up after 8 hours! arghhhh....

But I think I have finally cracked it, :shock: simply I decided to connect everything including the wifi dongle to the same USB hub and it's now been 3 days logging and running fine, !!!

Hope this helps others
egbertje
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by egbertje »

I dont know to ask in this topic, or to start a new one. Does anybody have succesful used a bluetooth stick directly connected to the Pi's usb port?
I have installed an bluetooth stick (Cambridge radio / should work), installed drivers (apt-get install bluetooth bluez-utils blueman).
I can see that bluetooth is running, and hcitool scan sees an Bt device.
But when i start bluetooth manager in wheezy, nothing happens and in Domotiga i cant pair to my phone.

Anyone?
Homeseer 3 on andere Intel Nuc/Win10
Plugins Imperihome Jowihue Rfxcom Pushover P1
RFXcom V3 Visonic Powermax+ some KaKu
rihiveli
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by rihiveli »

Hi,

I had same problem of freeze and network lost. Yesterday, I did the solution explained by caldimerda on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:20 pm here http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 0&start=50

Now it works, like a charm !

Also, I launch Domotiga with GUI because when I launch DomotigaServer only, web interface failed to connect 75% of time.
pendul
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by pendul »

Rihiveli, thanks for the information! I must say am a bit surprised that it was solved with stable code because what I understood from the discussions, that the Broadcom chip itself was also quite buggy, but so much better to hear that a solution is near.

I have got a quick question: can you tell us, how long your system is running stable since your upgrade? I am asking because I think it is useful the develop some sort of raspberry pi configuration that can run uninterrupted for a long time (let say several weeks or so). Mine is stable for some weeks now, but occasionally some hick ups due my usb hub ( a cheap one from the local computer store which I am going to replace with this one: http://thepihut.com/products/7-port-usb ... spberry-pi).

I have also got a more general questions for everyone here: Maybe it is a good idea to tell which usb-devices are stable and which are not.

For me the Rfxcom Rfxtrx433 and the Current Cost Envir are stable. The rfxtrx433 is directly attached to the raspberry pi, the Envir to an usb-hub.

The Velleman K8055N is not but that is due to an error in the library itself (I a getting a divided by 0 error, did had any time to debug it).

Greetz

Pendul

BTW @stevepyle is your system still stable?
rihiveli
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by rihiveli »

Hi,

I never reboot since the upgrade last monday morning so approximatively 48h and domotiga is up and running. Previously, it never worked more than 2 hours...
ti
I just have Rfxtrx433 directly plugged on Raspberry and I use standard lan port.
hellbringer
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by hellbringer »

stevepyle wrote:Don't give up........ Nearly took a hammer to my Pi :D,even undertaken the USB power hacks and shorted out the poly fuses to no avail the Pi would lock up after a few hours with a RFXcom TRX, jeelabs dongle, CC128 all powered from a belkin powered 7 port hub , disabled eth0 (as per pendul's previous post) and used a compatable wifi dongle installed to one of the USB ports of the Pi it would lock up after 8 hours! arghhhh....

But I think I have finally cracked it, :shock: simply I decided to connect everything including the wifi dongle to the same USB hub and it's now been 3 days logging and running fine, !!!

Hope this helps others
Have you updated the firmware of your RPi?
I see a lot off issues that I had that I no longer have after a firmware update. Like: sometimes after some use the rpi was not pingable, apparently the network connection stopped working.
Also the issues with USB, had a similar issue that would freeze the rpi.

For everyone that uses a Raspberry Pi: UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE
Just do a google search for rpi-update hexxeh (https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update)
This solves a LOT of known issues.
See also: http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting, a good place to find solutions.
MartinF
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by MartinF »

hey

question do you install gambas from source or use the pkg from apt-get ?
vanisher

Post by vanisher »

I did install gambas from source. Takes a while :-)
jonbanjo
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by jonbanjo »

I've an rfxcom trx attached to my pi for reasons of location (otherwise I'd have to have another PC on 24/7 to use the rfxcom where I want it) but I'm just running socat to provide a tcp socket on it. I updated the firmware before I started using it and have had no network or USB problems.

I did consider running automation software on it but I have a server that has to be on 24/7 anyway and (although I guess one could argue it's a waste of a pi only providing a socket) it made more sense to me to run it on the rather more powerful machine.

This setup works with Domotiga but only in serial mode. To do that I use socat again.

On the pi:
>socat FILE:/dev/ttyUSB1,b38400,raw TCP-LISTEN:<port>,fork,reuseaddr

On the computer with Domotiga:
>socat pty,link=/home/jon/ttyS0,b38400,raw TCP:<pi ip>:<pi port>

Set Domotiga up to use the serial port created by socat.

Return to “DomotiGa Forum”