No drivers in linux kernel

Forum about Domotiga Open Source Home Automation for Linux.

Moderator: RDNZL

ronaldkelleners
Starting Member
Starting Member

No drivers in linux kernel

Post by ronaldkelleners »

Hi there,

I am trying to use a radxa rock as domotiga server, problem:

Ubuntu--> something strange with php installation / apache .. not getting it working correctly within the domotiyii interface.

Debian, domotiga running fine, web interface running fine, except there are no drivers to support the uart of the Zwave stick S2, and the ftdi chipset of the rfxcom reciever ...

Anyone tips ?

Kernel version 3.0.36, in kernel 3.2 all the drivers are instaled, is there a way to boot tis kernel or copy the drivers ?

thank Ronald
emvee
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: No drivers in linux kernel

Post by emvee »

Ubuntu--> something strange with php installation / apache .. not getting it working correctly within the domotiyii interface.
A bit too less information to say anything useful (at least for me).
Questions:
jeroen_

Post by jeroen_ »

ronaldkelleners wrote:Kernel version 3.0.36, in kernel 3.2 all the drivers are instaled, is there a way to boot tis kernel or copy the drivers ?
You cannot just copy over drivers like in Windows, this as Linux does not have a driver model like windows, hence they are required to be compiled against the same version, this to make sure that they end up in the kernel tree as source instead of being able to keep them separate.

As you mentioned Ubuntu, check with:

Code: Select all

dpkg --list| grep linux
which kernels are currently installed. The upgrade process should take care of informing grub that there is a a new kernel (by updating /boot/grub/grub.cfg). You'll need to reboot to get it though.

You can check which ones are there with:

cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg  |grep menuentry
or just reboot, which should get you a menu ;)
thomas7
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by thomas7 »

Hello,

i am using MK902 (Cortex A9 RK3188 1,8 GHz) with linuxium.

I had to build the driver for the Aeon Stick by myself but it is very easy.
Kernel: 3.0.36+

Sources are open, just download the kernel sources, symlink it to /lib/modules/3.0.36/build
then you can download the Aeon Lab Sources from their page and just make the cp210x.ko module ;)

Hope this helps you.
emvee
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by emvee »

@thomas7:

Thanks for these instructions!

I have added based on it some text on https://www.domotiga.nl/projects/domoti ... s_Stick_S2 but things are not 100% clear to me:
symlink it to /lib/modules/3.0.36/build
Where do you have to do this?
just make the cp210x.ko module
how to do that exactly.

Feel free to update the Wiki if you want.
thomas7
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by thomas7 »

Hi,

ok so first you need your Linux Source.
The Sources depends on the exact Device and of course the Image you use.

Here is an example with an MK902 and (almost same as MK802IV and some others) with Ubuntu 12.04 (Kernel 3.0.36+) called Linuxium.

So for me i had to download the sources here: https://github.com/linuxium/3188-SRC-AP6210
Unzip the sources.
As sources are still in your homefolder, but you need it at /lib/modules/3.0.36+ we do not copy it, we hast link it.

maybe create build folder if not exist then
sudo ln -s /home/linuxium/install/kernel /lib/modules/3.0.36+/build

Now we have a "pointer" from the sources to the build directory.

Remember, you need your own linux sources for your image/device.

Now download here http://aeotec.com/z-wave-usb-stick/1358 ... ivers.html
The Driver for Linux 3.x.x
Unzip ist
Enter the directory Linux_3.x.x_VCP_Driver_Source
just type in:
make

This should be all, your cp210x.ko will be build in some seconds.

Test the new module:
sudo insmod cp210x.ko
Check with dmesg if you have now created ttyUSB0

Autostart it:
Copy the cp210x.ko to /lib/modules/3.0.36+/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/cp210x.ko
enter sudo depmod

Now you are finished, enjoy it ;)

I hope that was OK, if not i can try my best to explain better. And sorry for my bad englisch, it is not my mother-language.
sirkhoi
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by sirkhoi »

Hi all,
I am a newbie in the world of home automation. Right now I am using RAspberry Pi B+, freshly installed with Raspbian Debian Wheezy. I have problem installing the driver for Aeon Z-Stick S2, but I didn't succeed so far.
I have downloaded the Linux 3.x.x VCP driver, unzip it and run make command, but it didnt work. The error was there is no "build" directory in /lib/modules/3.18.7+/build

If I tried to create a build there, then run make again then another error: no rule to make target modules,

In the previous posts, I saw you guys have to download the source first, then have a pointer to the build directory. I dont know what is the source in my case.

Thank you very much, please help me since it is part of my thesis work for graduation.

Many thanks
jeroen_

Post by jeroen_ »

According to:
http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/dr ... x.c?v=3.18

that cp210x driver is already in the kernel tree since 3.3, thus likely you do not need to do this.
It is likely a module though, hence you'll need to load it.

On my box:

root@raspberry:~# find /lib/modules/ -name "cp210x*"
/lib/modules/3.12.26+/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/cp210x.ko
/lib/modules/3.18.7-v7+/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/cp210x.ko
/lib/modules/3.18.7+/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/cp210x.ko
Hence, just try loading that.

See also:
https://www.domotiga.nl/projects/domoti ... s_Stick_S2
which states:
"The stick works out-of-the-box on Raspbian, Cubian, Ubuntu and many other Debian based distributions. "

otherwise....
sirkhoi wrote:Hi all,
I am a newbie in the world of home automation. Right now I am using RAspberry Pi B+, freshly installed with Raspbian Debian Wheezy. I have problem installing the driver for Aeon Z-Stick S2, but I didn't succeed so far.
I have downloaded the Linux 3.x.x VCP driver, unzip it and run make command, but it didnt work. The error was there is no "build" directory in /lib/modules/3.18.7+/build
You need to install the relevant kernel package for building new modules. Either linux-source-3.18 or linux-headers-3.18.xxx; do a 'apt-cache search | grep linux-source' or 'apt-cache search | grep linux-headers' to figure out which packages you likely need. You likely also want to install linux-kbuild-3.18 (or depending on the version you have).
If I tried to create a build there, then run make again then another error: no rule to make target modules,
Creating a directory does not create all the actual files, like the Makefile that contains the instructions. You'll need to install the packages, see above.

Return to “DomotiGa Forum”