Plugwise and Linux

Plugwise Forum about Plugwise devices and the Source software.
Pieterpaul

Plugwise and Linux

Post by Pieterpaul »

I am considering adding Plugwise to my home automation system. The current parts (combination of self-made drivers and xpl-perl) run on my Linux server. Since the server also acts as firewall, router, storage-server, etc., I really don't want to replace it with windows. And because the main advantage of Plugwise (compared to e.g. Xanura) is power saving, adding another server is also not an option.
I assume/know that there is no native Linux version of 'the Source'. Has anyone (succesfully or not) tried to run the Plugwise Source in Linux+Wine? Or in a virtual machine (with Windows) on top of Linux? If either approach works, I could consider Plugwise for this year's Christmas gift [:)]

Thanks, PP
Mdamen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Plugwise and Linux

Post by Mdamen »

A virtual machine should work, it's just a USB device so with for example VMware Server you can "redirect" the USB device to the guest OS, in this case a Windows installation.

I am going to inspect the protocol plugwise uses, to integrate it within my own domotica system (also linux) the plugwise kit is still on it's way. I expect to receive it tommorow [:)] Don't expect to much of it though.. I haven't even seen the device yet.

--
Maarten Damen

www.maartendamen.com
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Plugwise and Linux

Post by Snelvuur »

And that coming from a microsoft certified systems engineer :) well i hope you succeed.. would also be a nice addition to domotiga..

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Mdamen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Plugwise and Linux

Post by Mdamen »

Lol I'm not that Microsoft minded, I would rather call myself open-minded. I'm open to any system [:)]

--
Maarten Damen

www.maartendamen.com
Pieterpaul

Plugwise and Linux

Post by Pieterpaul »

My experiences with USB and VMware are not always that good, so I hope the plugwise dongle works 'properly'. This was pretty much my question: does the dongle work in vmware?
I agree that understanding the plugwise protocol (to be able to make your own driver) is much better than having to use their code. But I'm afraid that reverse engineering their protocol will take longer than december 31st, so I have my hopes on vmware/wine [;)]
t006
Starting Member
Starting Member

Plugwise and Linux

Post by t006 »

Antwoord van plugwise op de vraag of ze Linux/BSD gaan ondersteunen in de toekomst. Een klein beetje ontwijkend antwoord.

Geacht heer/mevrouw,

Helaas is er (op dit moment) geen versie beschikbaar voor linux.

Middels een virtuele omgeving (zoals Wine) schijnt het ook lastig te zijn om ons systeem te laten draaien onder Linux, aangezien dot net 2.0 (sp1) geinstalleerd dient te zijn. Op diverse fora vindt u hier meer informatie over. Mocht u dot net 2.0 (sp1) binnen Wine hebben draaien, dan moet het in principe mogelijk zijn onze software 'de Source' te gebruiken onder Linux.

Vanzelfsprekend kunnen wij dit niet ondersteunen, maar het staat u natuurlijk vrij om hier experimenteel mee aan de slag te gaan.

Mocht er een officiele versie van 'de Source' voor Linux uit komen, dan zullen we hiervan op de hoogte stellen.

Wij hopen u voldoende te hebben geinformeerd en bedanken u voor uw interesse in onze Plugwise oplossingen.
Pieterpaul

Plugwise and Linux

Post by Pieterpaul »

Dat is, zeg maar, geen antwoord [:(]
wwolkers

Plugwise and Linux

Post by wwolkers »

Well, it's an answer at least :)
UPS currently had my plugwise box, so hopefully I'll have it today! would be nice, I've got time to play tomorrow evening :)

First see how it runs under windows, then test under wine, and then see what Linux thinks about the USB dongle.
Most probably it's a USB <-> RS232 converter, which would make it a bit easier. :)
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Plugwise and Linux

Post by TANE »

USB dongle is just a converter to RS232 using FTDI chip.
Biggest challenge is understanding the network concept en encryption.
This is not a easy job..
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Plugwise and Linux

Post by Snelvuur »

they say you are free to experiment under linux. if that is the case, ask them for some protocol information.. i mean, they can at least help you out a bit if they want to support a bigger group of people.

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Mdamen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Plugwise and Linux

Post by Mdamen »

I'm making some progress with the protocol.
I am already able to switch a module on and off. I hope to release a "proof of concept" really soon. Won't have time until the weekend though [:(]

Just a little bit more patience [:)]

--
Maarten Damen

www.maartendamen.com
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Plugwise and Linux

Post by Rene »

@Maarten: Maybe you could share some of your findings and I will be assisting you as soon as my 2 sets arrive (today according to DHL).

Rene.
wwolkers

Plugwise and Linux

Post by wwolkers »

@Maarten: Nice! :) I've got my box here at work, so I'll be looking into it tonight and tomorrow.
Any chance you could share some info already? :)
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Plugwise and Linux

Post by Snelvuur »

on/off is allready a nice feature...

// Erik (binkey.nl)
RDNZL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Plugwise and Linux

Post by RDNZL »

Starting to add some Plugwise serial port code to my program now ;-)

Ron.

Return to “Plugwise Forum”