Switching delay

Plugwise Forum about Plugwise devices and the Source software.
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Switching delay

Post by Digit »

Hi there,

A couple of hours ago i made some sort of test-setup to watch the reliability and responsiveness of the Plugwise circles regarding switching. I have a KAKU motion sensor (AWST6000) switching a Circle by my HA application that uses the Source webserver.

This setup will toggle the Circle (and the lamp to which the KAKU is attached) 1-3 times a minute, just sitting behind my PC doing nothing special.

Most of the times the response is very quick, but sometimes it can take VERY VERY long, as in 5-10 seconds.

It seems as if the Circle switching commands can get queued in the Plugwise Source sometimes. And when this happens, i see the lamp switching on and back off in a very short time.

What is this?
Lennart

Switching delay

Post by Lennart »

Hi Digit,

I've also noticed a longer than usual delay (several seconds, but not 5-10, rather something like 3-5 seconds) in some cases when switching directly using the source. BTW I assume the 5-10 seconds include the KAKU -> HA software -> source delay. How much would that account for?

I couldn't determine the exact circumstances in which this happens. I guess you're right in that it may have to do something with command queueing when communicating with the plugs to poll usage data. It would be nice to get to the bottom of this, cause one of the main advantages of Plugwise (if compared to X10/A10) is speed.

BTW nice organised workshop you've got yourself there :-).

Lennart
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Switching delay

Post by Bwired »

I tried this like a lot of times, because in the beginning I had sometimes the same slow reaction.
Now switching is reacting very fast and even when the network is polled, polling you can see at the little time bar appearing under the icon.
When its polling I can sense on some clicks a very slight delay like 0.4 seconds, but never seconds.
And I poll the network with an XML which is retrieving the data of 25+ circles.

I thought Robert made a Sqookerites, a new plugwise device [:D]
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Switching delay

Post by Digit »

@Lennart:
I looked it up: KAKU -> HA -> Source takes 79 ms:

Code: Select all

828364671 RFXCOMRX: New incoming:2202426F19B0
828364750 Plugwise: GET http://192.168.10.8:8080/cc.html?applid=09&cmd=ON
@Pieter:
A what ??? :-)
I do the same polling with XML as you do, once every 2 minutes. The setup i use for testing, makes the lamp switch 350 times an hour. The times i noticed the very long delay is maybe once per hour. Maybe during the hourly update of total usage the response is extra slow? I don't know. I'll do some more testing to see if i can find out more.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Switching delay

Post by Bwired »

OK Robert,
Once every hour the charts are being updated, that could be causing the bigger delay!
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Switching delay

Post by Digit »

I can confirm now that this is true: updating the charts (where you also see the power totals change) is when the extra long delay occurs.
Lennart

Switching delay

Post by Lennart »

Thanks Robert for verifying this. I guess it is something that we can't do anything about as long as the protocol is not opened up?

BTW How much would sending all data to Plugwise HQ account for in this delay? ;-)

Lennart
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Switching delay

Post by Digit »

I really don't know; maybe ask someone that hasn't read that other topic :-)
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Switching delay

Post by Bwired »

Perhaps thats why Plugwise only updates the total usage once every hour!
I want to poll the total usage also directly from the circle, but thats not available or......
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Switching delay

Post by Digit »

Same here! An hour is much to long. And restarting the Source changes the time of the hourly update. Not handy for statistics.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Switching delay

Post by Bwired »

Lets put it on the list, I want to poll the circles and directly get the current and total power usage.

Return to “Plugwise Forum”