Unforgivable! Plugwise stealing data !!!

Plugwise Forum about Plugwise devices and the Source software.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Unforgivable! Plugwise stealing data !!!

Post by Snelvuur »

Just as bad huh?

Do i really have to go into this argument which is already going for soooo long.
Most users dont even notice/care about these statistics. In the current plugwise setup you have a option to turn it off clear and open (no hidden registry)

You are actually replying to a post i made 1 year ago.. much have changed since.

If you want to fight the crime fight it to the persons that make it not me. I am just a geek my standards are different.
// Erik (binkey.nl)
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

In my opinion nothing has changed.

The most important thing is that it is still not clear what is happening to most buyers, who think they're buying an innocent, "green" product.
I guess most of the forum members will know what is happening with their data by now, but don't forget that larger group of Plugwise users.
They want to ease their mind and buy a product that is propagated as helping the environment; very good for your 'green image'; don't use your mind but use your wallet, that's much easier, right?

So they buy the product at some webshop where they aren't informed, (a recent example: http://shop.tane.nl) cause even the webshop owner doesn't know; or worse, the webshop owner decides not to inform you at all!
Then Plugwise is installed and 99% doesn't bother to carefully read the license. Now that's a pity; cause that is the only way to find out what is going on.
No other way. And that's wrong.

And how about the implications of disabling the upload; buying a product that includes software without rights to updates (even the problem solving ones, and we've seen a lot of them again, lately... :( ) is like buying a product without guarantee. Where would you ever do that for?

In my opinion, not being informed about (and therefore not complaining about) privacy issues is something completely different then not caring about.
PietjeNL

Post by PietjeNL »

According to some forums they changed there way of collecting data, if u dont want to u could disable it and asfar as i see it has not send a bit.
Please someone try and confirm to see if they indeed stopped collecting data without letting us know.

If they want its easy to see where the ip comes from, maybe not by address but for sure they can collect info on the area.
Just use for example whoisip and put there ur ip and see how close it comes to the area u live in.
chilwd
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by chilwd »

I'm new to domotica and in the process of selecting the best system for my home situation.

I put plugwise solution on my "to buy" list but must admit after reading this topic removed it from the list. As a (new) consumer I have serious issues with companies who hide this kind of data-mining activity from their buyers. Just my 2 cents.
YogiBear75
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by YogiBear75 »

Guys,

Just for the record,Plugwise can only get your data if you use their Source software.
If you use Linux / Perl / Python / C++ or whatever, nothing is send.
And you can always block the data going out of your network via a Firewall.
The Source software should NEVER make a connection with the Internet. (Windows Firewall rule)

But I still want to know as to WHAT Plugwise is willing to do with the data....
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Hi All
For a long time its possible now in the Plugwise software to not send your data to plugwise.
I can assure you that if you don't want to participate no data is send to Plugwise!
Just go to Settings and then Personal data, you will be seeing the below screen.
On first install of the source software it will lead you to this as well.
plugwise.jpg
plugwise.jpg (115.19 KiB) Viewed 6582 times
http://www.bwired.nl Online Home, Domotica, Home Automation. Weblog. http://blog.bwired.nl
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

If someone is still using an older version of the Source (like me), there's also a /noio command line parameter IIRC.
I think I've read that somewhere some time ago; don't know if that still works with newer versions though :P

About WHAT Plugwise is doing with the data? All for the benefit of their users of course, that's what they said, right?
I'm still waiting for that portal where i can view totally awesome charts and statistics of my own data and compare my fridge with the 'world average'. Where is it ?? :lol:
Or at least see that it's being used for some good purpose. But i didn't see any of that either.

Neh.. the data is just being used for their own purposes i guess; as all companies do that gather our information without us users actually realizing it ;after almost 20 months i would say that's a fair conclusion. And you know: not allowing upload means no support or upgrades.
Noel

Post by Noel »

I did not know about the " /noio" option. I found a patch (or was it a crack :D ) that fixed the upload data problem. It even fixed the serial number input option :-)
This "lets call it fix" was for the old version of Source.

Anyway. I'm not having any problems with Plugwise as I'm not using it anymore.
--
Maak nu je eigen video bericht online.
Anyone interested in time travel meet me here last Thursday!!
ıɟ ʇ,uɐɔ noʎ buıɥʇʎuɐ ʇɹɐʇs ɹǝʌǝu

Return to “Plugwise Forum”