Powerusage Plugwise

Plugwise Forum about Plugwise devices and the Source software.
Verkenner

Powerusage Plugwise

Post by Verkenner »

On januari 6 I connected Plugwise (With http-server On) beside HomeSeer on my Win-XP-Desktop. From that moment the usage of my desktop was approximately 5 watt more. See chart.

btw: the spikes in the chart are caused by the nightly Active-Backup. I backup HomeSeer at 04:00 uur to a Network drive.

Verkenner
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Powerusage Plugwise

Post by Digit »

Funny.... I can see from my CPU chart that the Plugwise source is causing my CPU to go up between 2 and 4%; it's the heaviest task that is running.
tazdevil
Starting Member
Starting Member

Powerusage Plugwise

Post by tazdevil »

And every circle is using 1 watt of power. So if you're using plugwise for standby killing, the standby usage must be at least 3 watt otherwise it won't help you that much.
Lennart

Powerusage Plugwise

Post by Lennart »

I thought power usage of the circles is 0.6W for the ones that are switched on and 0.2W for the ones that are switched off, according to specs? Did you measure the 1W yourself?

Lennart
tazdevil
Starting Member
Starting Member

Powerusage Plugwise

Post by tazdevil »

I plugged a circle in a circle and after a day there was a horizontal line very close to the 1 watt. Ok 0,95 watt is possible. All the time the circle was switched on. I'm going to measure it again when switched off.
Lennart

Powerusage Plugwise

Post by Lennart »

@Verkenner: As the stick is connected through usb (500mA @ 5V max.), that could account for a maximum of 2.5W. The other few Watts may be due to the software continuously eating some extra CPU cycles.

Lennart
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Powerusage Plugwise

Post by Digit »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tazdevil</i>
<br />And every circle is using 1 watt of power.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Strange. During installation i 'stacked' them all for some time, so i should have measured 9-10W at the first one, but i didn't...
tazdevil
Starting Member
Starting Member

Powerusage Plugwise

Post by tazdevil »

The chart shows about 0,5 watt for a cicle that is switched off. Export to excel shows values from 0,000472 to 0,000491.
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Powerusage Plugwise

Post by MindBender »

Most electricity consumption meters are notoriously inaccurate under 3 Watts. And the way some stand-by power supplies work makes measuring their actual consuption very difficult: Some are inductively coupled, others consume relatively much periodically.

Please note that stand-by killers on a modern TV are next to useless: Philips for example goes thourgh great efforts to reduce their stand-by consumption to 0.1 Watt. No stand-by killer kan beat that.
Duckyduck
Starting Member
Starting Member

Powerusage Plugwise

Post by Duckyduck »

Don't have the exact figure here, but we've measured (power analyser) 3 power "stages".
- Just plugged in, relay off, something in the range of 0,3..0,4W
- Just plugged in, relay on, 0,7W
- A few seconds after plugging in, relay on, 1W (probably the radio is on here)
If the latter is the case(radio on), then probably standby is about 0,6W relay off and 1W relay on..

The implemented HW has a pretty accurate measurement circuit based on a Microchip power-measure chip. Haven't tested the measure accuracy.
Reinder

Powerusage Plugwise

Post by Reinder »

Information above is correct.
The plug uses with relay on 0,7W and with relay off 0,4W.

Return to “Plugwise Forum”