Special status of the Circle+

Plugwise Forum about Plugwise devices and the Source software.
Lennart

Post by Lennart »

Hi all,

While experimenting with Plugwise to use a dedicated plug as a power failure monitor (as discussed here: http://www.domoticaforum.eu/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1864), I found out that if your Plugwise network is up and running, you can just remove the Circle+ and the other Circles will still be able to communicate with the Stick. I always thought that only the Circle+ could communicate with the Stick? I guess the special status of the Circle+ is only in building the network?

Lennart
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

:-) new to me too!
LittleBit

Post by LittleBit »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I found out that if your Plugwise network is up and running, you can just remove the Circle+ and the other Circles will still be able to communicate with the Stick. I always thought that only the Circle+ could communicate with the Stick? I guess the special status of the Circle+ is only in building the network?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">The circles are ZigBee based nodes
and meshing is implemented in each segment.
A segment is max. 64 ZigBee nodes.
Because the Stick is also a node, max. 60 Circle's is common practice.
Every node (circle or stick) has communication links with each other.
So you can remove Circle+ and communication continues.
The Circle+ is special,
because it has a battery and is the time-source.
Every ZigBee segment requires 1 Circle+.
So after a power-failure,
the Circle+ is the Master who instructs all other nodes
about the time info.
If you remove Circle+ and there is a powerfailure all data is probably in panic; you may test this for us ;-)

With best domotica regards,
petermdevries

Post by petermdevries »

Does anyone know whether it's technically possible to have more than one circle+ within one network?

I've just bought a 2nd hand home basic set, so now I have 2 circle+ and I would like to use one of them as a normal circle. Will that work?

Same question for an additional the stick. Could be handy to have one server running and have the possibility to run source from another pc for example just to view some statistics for example.

Peter

Return to “Plugwise Forum”