Errors while polling certain circles

Plugwise Forum about Plugwise devices and the Source software.
richard naninck

Errors while polling certain circles

Post by richard naninck »

Talked about my problem with several people and none seem to understand why this happens.. so maybe the guys from Plugwise can pitch in.

I wrote my own software which actually made this problem visible. After staring at a serial sniffer while running Source, the problem occurs, but it isn't that much obvious in Source. You can see it in Source when looking at the times of last contact. Some circles are updated much faster than others and the faulty ones may not be updated for many minutes.

My setup contains 15 plugs all in close proximity however 3 of them are in the cellar. My software is setup to poll the plugs always in the same order. The next poll message is sent after receiving either a good reply or an error (00E1).

When I poll the 12 plugs (excluding the ones in the cellar) all seems fine. I send a message and in 100% of all polls a valid reply is received very quickly. The problem starts when polling one or more circle(s) which are located in the cellar. Mostly those Circles don't reply and a 00E1 is returned. That I can understand BUT: other Circles (which polled 100% valid before polling the cellar Circles) now start having tourble as well. I don't change anything in my network. All Circles are plugged in all the time. It's just a matter of polling them or not.

I more or less fixed it by introducing a Retry loop for polling Circles that return an error. When an error producing Circle is polled up to 7 times in a row, most of the time somewhere in those 7 tries, a good reply is received. That's fine however it slows my polling frequency down!

In short:
15 Circles always plugged in. When 12 circles excluding the cellar Circles are polled all is well a 100% of the time with speedy replies, but when taking plugs 13 through 15 in the loop, I introduce errors on most of the circles even the ones not located in the cellar which were OK before.

The questions are:
1. Why are Circles replying OK in one situation and start having trouble when certain Circles are included in the polling loop.
2. Why do I get errors at all. A MESH network with all Circles in reach of each other shouldn't produce errors at all. The response could take longer in certain cases, but...

BWired knows what I am talking about so pitch in any time to make this difficult to describe story an easy one for the Plugwise experts.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Errors while polling certain circles

Post by Bwired »

I think I have the same problem!
During developing of my driver I have seen this problem.
im still not using my driver, but its high on my list to implement this.
I think the current source software also has this problem, many times is see some circles not being updated within a minute.
Get back on this after I use this driver.

Return to “Plugwise Forum”