Plugwise sense and scan

Plugwise Forum about Plugwise devices and the Source software.
spierie

Plugwise sense and scan

Post by spierie »

Plugwise just announced the scan and sense via their newsletter. They can be found on the link below:
http://www.plugwise.com/nl/idplugtype-f/products

Prices are pretty steep.... 125 euro for the scan and 99 euro for the sense, this is without shipment cost.....

I'll stick with my Jeenodes for now.....;-)
Mdamen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Plugwise sense and scan

Post by Mdamen »

Got an e-mail today as well...
Nice products, but expensive.. I was interested in looking at the protocol changes.. but not for those prices :S
pvgent
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by pvgent »

I waited a long time for these, but not at those prices.
The price of the scan is even higher than a Home Start Kit which contains a Stick and 2 Circles.
If it was priced like the Switch i might consider it.
Time to look for an alternative, maybe Jeenodes.
@spierie how are you using Jeenodes.
plugwise configuration: 1 stick, 38 circles en 2 switches.

ps: Now the price's are even higher, now it's 148,75 (125 + 19%BTW) euro for the scan and 117,81 (99 + 19%BTW) euro for the sense.
PetervdBerg
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by PetervdBerg »

Whit a configuration of 1 stick, 32 circles, 4 stealth’s and 2 switches I was hopeful waiting for the scan and the sense. But with these prices I am very disappointed.
With Express Controls EZ Motion 3 in 1 Multisensor for 79,95 you have the same. :x
hollie
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by hollie »

Pff, steep price tag. I was also awaiting the Scan but for this price I will look for alternatives.
The indicated price gives me the impression that they only focus on selling those devices to companies.

@pvgent: the scan is still listed at 125 euro incl VAT when I checked?

I am however curious if they are routing 'motion-detection' events to the Stick also. It could be that motion-events are only passed over the Zigbee wireless links to the circles and not to the host. If the messages are also passed to the host, this opens up very nice possibilities for deploying house-wide motion detection (if the price would be lower of course).
WHB
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by WHB »

Looking at the latest version of the Plugwise Source Template Engine, there is only support in it for the Sense but not for the Scan.

The change list of the documentation reads:
2.17: Added Module.Temperature and Module.Humidity for Sense.
Other than that the document does not even list this functionality in the actual Modules documentation section.

For me the Scan is the most interesting to add in my domotics system, but without any way to officially get any data out of it, it is pretty useless. The same holds for the Switch which is still unsupported in the Template Engine.

I presume you can hack around it a bit by adding some virtual groups that are switched but for such prices that should really not be necessary.
spierie

Post by spierie »

@pvgent

I use several Jeenodes through my house. A few roomnodes and serveral very simpel temperature nodes with a DS18B20 onewire sensor.
The roomnodes have humidity and temperature through the SHT11, light level through a ldr and movement through a PIR sensor. So it basically is a sense and scan in one.....
The temperature nodes are just to measure simple temps inside and outside the house.

Prices for the roomnodes are 39 euros, see http://jeelabs.com/products/room-board, so about a fifth of the cost of the Sense and Scan together!

This is all interfaced through Domotiga, a Linux based domotics program based on Gambas.
pvgent
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by pvgent »

@hollie

The wrong prices where temporary.

@spierie

Thanks for the Info, ordered a Jeenode starters pack to begin with.
How do you power de Roomnodes with a batterypack?
markvdm
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by markvdm »

I won't abandone my jeenodes either for the new plugwise tools, but I do have situations occasionally where Plugwise senses are valid options.

Is their any change domotiGa gets updated to read these? I still have to order some for testing, but I'll do that in the days to come.

Mark
hollie
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by hollie »

Hmm, those JeeNodes indeed look interesting! Another thing to put on my 'to-experiment-with' list :-)
spierie

Post by spierie »

Yes, the nodes are all powered by battery pack.

My nodes have been working for about 6mnths now and the battery voltage only has gone down about 1thenth of a volt, so it seems like it will work for multiple years on a pack.
A lot of the sketches on the Jeelabs website are optimized for very low power.

Rgds,
Michel.

Return to “Plugwise Forum”