Scan & Sense discount and new Plugwise source 2.20

Plugwise Forum about Plugwise devices and the Source software.
RdP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Scan & Sense discount and new Plugwise source 2.20

Post by RdP »

Rien
nico_gh2

Re: Scan & Sense discount and new Plugwise source 2.20

Post by nico_gh2 »

Now roll on a 20% discount and I would be willing to test the sense-scan package.

Even better would be to develop a combined device with the sense-scan features in a single small package to avoid having lots of devices in the house.
Post-IT

Post by Post-IT »

I'm sure I would buy a substantial set with some discount and the Stretch Light... can't wait to through that windows machine out the door and have a stable (wireless and affordable) sensor network to connect to my KNX system.
roheve
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by roheve »

nico_gh2 wrote:Now roll on a 20% discount and I would be willing to test the sense-scan package.
I want more circles, but waiting for a 20% discount too... The two devices are still quite expensive, even with the temporary discount. I assume they are also battery operated, so might be better to combine them. But, well, for normal users and from a commercial perspective, I think they can do it like they did. It is still a niche market, so price is less important.
nico_gh2 wrote:Even better would be to develop a combined device with the sense-scan features in a single small package to avoid having lots of devices in the house.
Temperature and light sensor components are cheap, even a PIR is not that expensive (humidity is, but that could be an option for the same device), so why not include them all. I think the most expensive part is the z-wave controller and building it into a nice case.

Possibly to get rid of batteries (build it into a pluggable device, like a circle, throug the optimal place for the motion detector does not likely have a wall-socket :) Bit perhaps the place for a ceiling-light does... (suggestion, an E27/E14 passthrough socket?, that avoids that a user needs to 'wire' it themselves). Or just wire-terminals (but that makes it a 'not consumer' product), een 'bouwmarkt' is full of those kind of electrical hardware :).

Mnn, they already have a circle with 'screw terminals', called stealth. A stealth version with the added sensors would be nice ( to avoid a battery). But the webshop does not have it.
Last edited by roheve on Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roheve
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by roheve »

Is 'source' now better usable on a small screen? My netbook screen (1024*600) is too small to see the 'schema' list, without trickery.
PietjeNL

Post by PietjeNL »

Think its bad to combine them cause then u measure the temperature and humidity on the sealing.
Normally they should be places between 1,5 and 1,8 meter off the ground for the best result (like a thermostat)
But a sense with for example light measuring would be ok for me :)
Still a combination could be possible if u place the device then on the wall. :D
nico_gh2

Post by nico_gh2 »

roheve wrote:
Is 'source' now better usable on a small screen? My netbook screen (1024*600) is too small to see the 'schema' list, without trickery.
Source 2.2 will only be released on the 1st of September so nobody will know this yet. I am not running Source on a small screen so therefore won't be able to judge it anyway.
nico_gh2

Post by nico_gh2 »

PietjeNL wrote:Think its bad to combine them cause then u measure the temperature and humidity on the sealing.
Normally they should be places between 1,5 and 1,8 meter off the ground for the best result (like a thermostat)
But a sense with for example light measuring would be ok for me :)
Still a combination could be possible if u place the device then on the wall. :D
Haven't positioned my Scan but intention is to place it on the wall at approx 1.75m height (ceiling at 2.2m). I agree it's a bit high to measure the temperature but it would do. For normal use it would indeed be better to have sense and light measurements combined.
I'm awaiting the new Source release before installing the Scan&Sense in a gixed position.

Sense measurements are varying slightly (0.1gr/0%) from a local TFA weathersensor, so not bad at all.
zonique
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by zonique »

Hmmm, the new source 2.20 is not online yet... Perhaps something's wrong with my calendar, will double-check...
T-Rex
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by T-Rex »

The text on the Dutch 'Source information page' has been changed from "Available from September 1st " to "In September 2011 the new version of Source can be downloaded." So somewhere this month instead of today.

http://www.plugwise.com/nl/idplugtype-f/source
T-Rex
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by T-Rex »

Just downloaded and installed Source 2.20 beta. Very first impression is good. Nice to be able to see the graph of the sense. However, when you click on a switch in the same window ("Rapportage" in the Dutch version) the source software crashes. I get a window "source shutting down" and the list of appliances (apparaten) disappears. Source does not completely shut down, you have to manually shut down and restart the software to be able to use it again.
Reinder

Post by Reinder »

The above reported bug (last open standing bug) is already solved :D (see release notes below)
This version is the final release candidate.

The update is also as download available:http://www.myplugwise.com/source/pwsetup_2.20beta.exe

Plugwise Source 2.20beta Release 20110912

Fixed (from 20110910)
#2501 Crash in Report view when selecting Switch
#1124 Pro: Upload blocked by proxy when using non transparent Microsoft ISA

Fixed (from 20110908)
- Some minor interface issues
- Pro: Same data uploaded repeatedly

Changes:
- Backups can now be made from within Source without BackupWizard
- Automatic backup at start-up (see Settings->Program)
- Full support for Sense and Scan, including graphs
- Support for firmware version 2.37 (no public update, release for production only)
- New group structure and introduction of group types
- Firmware preparation while Source is running
- Use of filters in list views
- Source can update itself directly without running UpdateWizard
- Setup now installs in the last used install path of Source

Known issues:
- Incomplete translations
- User manual not yet updated
- No graphs of Sense and Scan data via web server

Note: Source 2.20 and later does not support version 1 firmware (2008 and older). Use Source 2.17 to update the firmware first.
Reinder

Post by Reinder »

Just found a small issue, "in some cases after the update the Start->Program's menu is reset"
They solved this right away,.
If you experienced this, run the setup, and the Program's are back.
T-Rex
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by T-Rex »

After applying the update earlier this evening my complete WIndows start folder is wiped clean. Everything is gone. After reading your post I downloaded the bèta of the link above and started it. Now only the plugwise folder is there, all my other start menu items are still gone.
WHB
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by WHB »

Seems like 2.20 will still not allow you to get any data out of a Scan or Sense via the template engine. I would very much like to switch devices with a Scan or Sense but based on my own logic. I.e. my own software gets the Scan or Sense values (motion, temperature, humidity) via the template engine and acts upon these values.

Now I understand that getting live information from these so called SEDs is not possible, since they are not connected all the time to preserve the battery. But the Source seems to already store this kind of information after taking a quick look at its database.

It seems that there were plans for this since the release notes of 2.17 mention
2.17: Added Module.Temperature and Module.Humidity for Sense.
But this change log entry is no longer there with the 2.20 beta2.

Return to “Plugwise Forum”