Open Plugs is wise

Plugwise Forum about Plugwise devices and the Source software.
sj3fk3

Open Plugs is wise

Post by sj3fk3 »

Sometimes I'm wondering if I'm the only non Windows user in the domotica world.. But that's a different topic :)

What I would want to know is if I'm the only one that would like the Plugwise eco-system to be more open? I would love to use Plugwise on my mobile devices, but for that to work I need a web-server on a Windows system? ugh.. I know the protocol for the plugs has been reverse engineered, but wouldn't it be more like 2012 if Plugwise B.V. just released a SDK? Isn't the future for these kinds of products to be open and accessible? Keeping it closed only makes hacking it a little harder and you'll scare away the more privacy or da

Also I would consider buying their new Smile P1 device, IF and ONLY if I can read the data myself.. without the use of a Windows computer and without me having to upload my data to their server.
Kind Regards,
Greg.
Mdamen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Open Plugs is wise

Post by Mdamen »

I've attempted to go down that road before. Plugwise is not willing to share any information about their protocol.
I guess their main reason is the sleazy business model, which is based on harvesting user data. Not using their software will not allow them to harvest, so go figure.
labium
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by labium »

they have a good example in big brother google , apple etc , everbody is harvesting data , user data location data.
pvgent
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by pvgent »

@sj3fk3 Maybe the Plugwise Stretch 2.0 (release date 25 June) is a candidate for a PC/Server free solution.

plugwise.com/nl/idplugtype-f/stretch-20 ... f-25-juni# Sorry only Dutch info
sj3fk3

Post by sj3fk3 »

Mdamen wrote:I've attempted to go down that road before. Plugwise is not willing to share any information about their protocol.
I guess their main reason is the sleazy business model, which is based on harvesting user data. Not using their software will not allow them to harvest, so go figure.
Hmm, I would think that they want to keep it closed because they are afraid of competition. A view that is both flawed and destructive in the end. I think you have a far better business model if your eco-system is open (at least have an API). They might have a advantage now, but the very second a competitor (and there will be many more in the near future) launches a open version, they will lose..
Kind Regards,
Greg.
Post-IT

Post by Post-IT »

The Stretch indeed is aimed to stop using Windows as far as I discussed with the guys from PW. I hope to use the Stretch to hook my PW network to my KNX network.
Post-IT

Post by Post-IT »

Too bad they (again!) postponed the release of the Stretch lite. If I understand it correctly they needed some minor adjustments and in the end decided to then use a whole new PCB which means they have to start over. The new release date is now the same as the past few years: "omewhere this fall".

:(
labium
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by labium »

I bought a fez spider starters kit from ghi electronics , i am thinking of making it a usb host for the plugwise usb stick and a serial client to connect it to the digi serial port server , must be a piece of cake with all that gadgeteer code. So i can use the plugwise stick on a remote location. No need for all that new stuff from plugwise.

Return to “Plugwise Forum”