Is a circle plus required to detect other modules?

Plugwise Forum about Plugwise devices and the Source software.
Art
Starting Member
Starting Member

Is a circle plus required to detect other modules?

Post by Art »

Here's the situation: I'm rebuilding my plugwise network after a nine month renovation of my home. Got the old pc out of storage as well as the box of circles, started plugging them in, everything works nicely like before. But I seem to have misplaced the sense and scan units. :oops: They weren't in the box with the rest of the stuff and source tell me it hasn't seen them since march 2012 so I take it they aren't in the house but still in one of the four storage locations where I have yet more stuff in boxes.
Rather than rummage through every single box at all four locations I figured I could narrow down the search by bringing the pc running source (a laptop, fortunately) to each location and see if the missing units show up in the software. No such luck. Of course this might simply be because the batteries have run down or I didn't give it enough time, but I wonder: should I have brought the circle+ along?

Will source reconnect to sense and scan units that it knows about even if a circle+ is not present?
rances

Re: Is a circle plus required to detect other modules?

Post by rances »

Are you sure you havn't removed the batteries before the modules went to storage?

As far as I know, each scan and sense need to be connected to their parent module (circle it was connected throug the first time). I think this must be the same circle each time you want to reconnect the scan or sense modules. If the batteries are not dead, this could be the problem. I'm afraid you'll need to build up the whole network at the location, to see the scan and sense modules back online.

However, I'm not 100% sure about this. Have a look at the manual.

EDIT: Found some info in the manual:
Neem de Scan mee naar de locatie waar deze geplaatst moet
worden. De Scan dient te allen tijde in contact te staan met zijn
‘parent’ (bijvoorbeeld een Circle), anders kan er geen communicatie
plaatsvinden...
Communicatie binnen het netwerk
De Scan maakt contact met één van de Circles in uw netwerk. Deze Circle geeft de meetgegevens door aan de andere Circles. Als de Circle waarmee de Scan contact probeert te maken, niet beschikbaar is, zal verbinding worden gemaakt met een andere Circle. Dit kan enkele seconden duren. Om de Scan te kunnen gebruiken hoeft de computer niet ingeschakeld te zijn.
The parent Circle can be another Circle from the same network too. Not necessary the first paired. But it seems you can't connect to the stick directly. I think you should build up a network of at least one circle. I'd take the Circle+.
Art
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Is a circle plus required to detect other modules?

Post by Art »

I think so too. Thanks!

Return to “Plugwise Forum”