smile and cloud computing, a spy in your network ?

Plugwise Forum about Plugwise devices and the Source software.
labium
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

smile and cloud computing, a spy in your network ?

Post by labium »

because i have a strange local network , my new smile didnt conect to easy to my network and source. i phoned the helpdesk of plugwise, who helped me perfectly out. the smile connects to their servers and accumulates the smile values for graphical presentation for the user. but he knew everything about my local network , the attached ips, the above and under networks.

is there a program like fiddler for you computer for tracing network messages ?
Darwusch

Re: smile and cloud computing, a spy in your network ?

Post by Darwusch »

You can try wireshark.
messenger6543
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by messenger6543 »

Well... we know Plugwise has made some mistakes in the past on the field of privacy...

About your personal details: If you have send your license code in the past (which provided your the FREE extended webserver, or the export to Excel that you already paid for), then they know all the details of your Plugwise network and your appliances! This means that when you say your name on the phone, they know all the details of your situation, even if you chose to send your data anomized :)

When you have a Smile in your house, you can imagine that certain network functionalities are directly linked to the (unsecure) Plugwise servers, or is this not the right way to think??
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

messenger6543 wrote:This means that when you say your name on the phone, they know all the details of your situation, even if you chose to send your data anomized
Well, this doesn't surprise me at all. And if anyone has paid attention to what Plugwise is doing from the start, I think no one can be surprised. Well, maybe some, those who still believe they live in a perfect world without thugs. Some even dared to publicly question the outcome of my previous findings, go figure..."Al is de leugen nog zo snel..." :evil:
If this is true, this is even worse than what FB, LI and the rest of the lot are doing. Just reread the official replies from Plugwise in the linked post; do their statements match with the information in the quote? Draw your own conclusion; whether they lied or not.

Have fun with Plugwise...oh, and don't forget to keep your dumb meter as long as legally possible and please say no to the EPD as well etcetera etcetera, just because you care soo much about your privacy: apparently you have a price too.

Labium, sorry for the hijack and this wasn't addressed to you at all.

Return to “Plugwise Forum”