What to buy? (for controlling KAKU)

Forum about Click On Click Off (KAKU), Home Easy and related hardware.
Jeroen Bartels
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jeroen Bartels »

Hello all,
With great respect I read about all kinds of home automation possibilities and problems on this forum. I currently have many klik aan klik uit (KAKU) switches and dimmers. After doing some research on the web I built this little sender that makes it possible to send KAKU commands using Winlirc. However making the step to a web based switch is too hard for somebody with no programming skills. After seeing the Bwired webpage I got more and more eager to upgrade my house. I will take it step by step and start off with controlling al KAKU switches in the house through the web and my PC.
Now comes the hard part: Where to invest my money.
I was thinking of buying a RFXCOM module. But whitch one? I think the LAN version would be the easiest as I have wired lan in almost every room. But should I buy the sender of buy the sender with receiver?
Software: I have a version of Homeseer 1.7. Does this version support KAKU (with the RFXCOM unit) or should I upgrade to HS2?
Is Homeseer friendly enough for somebody with computer skills but no programming skills?
Once I have this hardware and software I can start experimenting. After that well see what next step to take.
I you can give me some tips, please.
Thanx.

P.S. As I'm also new in forums I hope I placed it in the right section.
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b_weijenberg »

Welcome JayBee,

Start with the RFXCOM transmitter.
The USB version must be placed in the direct neighborhood of the PC while the Ethernet version can be placed anywhere. Both version have a virtual com port driver so for the software it makes no difference which version you select. (Note: the Ethernet version is not yet supported in Vista 64)

Using scripts it is possible to control the KAKU modules then in HS 1.7. But this needs some programming skills to create the VB scripts.

The receiver is necessary to receive the commands from remotes and wireless wall switches. This can be the KAKU remote or wall switch but also an X10 remotes, SS13 wall switches, MS13 motion sensors and light/dark sensors etc.
The receiver is also able to receive the Oregon Scientific sensors.
This enables you to switch KAKU on temperature, wind speed etc.

The optimum configuration is:
Homeseer 2 with the RFXCOM plug-in,
And an Ethernet interface (with 2 internal COM ports) with a transmitter and receiver. http://www.rfxcom.com/transmitters.htm#87005

Bert
Jeroen Bartels
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jeroen Bartels »

Dear Bert,
Thank you for the quick reply. I wil start of with the LAN sender/receiver then. That should give me enough challenges to get it to work with homeseer 1.7.
If I have any questions again I will check the forum again.
Jeroen
Jeroen Bartels
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jeroen Bartels »

Dear Bert,

I have bought the transmitter/receiver and gat it partly to work. On the supplied CD there is an tranmitter.zip program that allows you to test the transmitter. I checked with KAKU and it works fine. Lamps are going on and off. However in HS2 (with RFXcom plugin (Both trial)) there is no transmission. I have configured the com-port right and there is no tranmission from the 87005. Any idea what I've done wrong?
I see you are online so maybe you have the time to help me out.

Thanx, Jeroen

***EDIT: Never mind, I just found out that I entered devices 'outside' the RFXcom plugin and therefore commands were not sent to the RFXcom transmitter***
[:I]
KolNedra
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by KolNedra »

I've got the same "problem".
I am planning on buying some KAKU sensors, because simply they are the cheapest and for the motion sensors they look okay.
So in order to use those KAKU signals I (ofcourse) need a rfxcom receiver.
And I think a receiver AND transmitter is not necessary, because I am only using KAKU devices to send sensor signals. And I will use X10 modules to control lights etc.

So is it wise to buy a rfxcom USB receiver (USB 1 COM port, Order code: 80002) for 113 euro? Or do you guys advise to buy a LAN receiver w/ transmitter (LAN 2 COM port, Order code: 87005) eitherway, for almost double that price?

My thoughts were; I only need te receive signals and if I want to send signals later on, I can buy a seperate transmitter (which I asume is possible)
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

i rather go for the option which has the possibility to expand at a later stage, perhaps you want visionic at some point then you can still use it. Lan also means you can place it centrally in the house for best reception instead of near a pc which is with most complete home automation systems in a closet it seems :)

just my 2 cents..

// Erik (binkey.nl)
KolNedra
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by KolNedra »

Tough choise. I don't want to spend much money (yet) on these devices, because I'm just testing all things out. But on the other hand; I might upgrade in the (nearby) future and then it would cost me. I'll think about it.

thanks anyways
Jeroen Bartels
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jeroen Bartels »

I bought the 87005 LAN sender Receiver. Very happy with it.
I currently am looking for some oregon sensors to expand my new hobby.
Lennart

Post by Lennart »

Hi KolNedra,

I understand your remark about you wanting to experiment with devices and thus not wanting to spend too much money on them in this phase. However, there are in my opinion two kind of devices that you don't need experimenting with and that you should go all the way with, right from the start (or you'll end up doing it later, having to replace cheaper devices). That's RFXCOM receivers/transmitters for RF and Xanura interfaces (CTX35/PMIX35) if you want to use X10/A10. So: go for the RFXCOM LAN version, you won't regret it :-).

Lennart

Return to “Click On Click Off & Home Easy”