Tip: Affordable LCD terminal

Forum about all kind of Touchpanels & Displays.
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TEN</i>
<br />While we're at it:
Does anyone know a WiFi/WLAN card to work in the eClients' PCMCIA slot?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Yes, the Orinoco gold cards should work out of the box, though I didn't try it myself. The Eizo manual mentions a couple of other cards to work too, I cannot recall them now.

Please not that the eClient has a PCMCIA slot, not a PC-Card slot. The may appear alike, but there's a world of difference between them: The first is basically a 16-bit ISA bus in a card form factor, the latter is a 32-bit PCI bus in a card form factor. PC-Card usually have a golden strip at the connector edge, so you should be able to recognize them: They will nog work in you eClient, not even if you are able to install the drivers.

Unfortunately PCMCI cards incorporating WPA encryption are very scarce, but they do exist.
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TEN</i>
For me, even bit-by-bit copies of the original CF card to any other CF cards of an identical or larger size (albeit manufactured some 3 years later) would not work - according to your post of course they might after changing the settings in the somewhat hard to reach BIOS setup.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
If it's any help to you, I send you an image file (made with Linux DD) of a 32MB card (that has GRUB installed on it) which should work on any card that supports LBA mode. But AFAIK USB CF-Card readers require a card to support LBA too, so such a non LBA mode capable card - if it exists - would be close to useless....
TEN
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by TEN »

Has anyone had success in printing to a network printer through the dialog (much like the one shown in http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/c/0015.asp) invoked by Ctrl-P in Internet Explorer?

It should be possible according to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms925098.aspx and http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/wce/20/redirector.htm - if SMB/NetBIOS is running (or can be enabled) on the eClient.

Similarly, there should be a way to access network file paths as \\HOST\SHARE.
TEN
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by TEN »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MindBender</i>
the Orinoco gold cards should work out of the box, though I didn't try it myself. [...]
Please not that the eClient has a PCMCIA slot, not a PC-Card slot [...] basically a 16-bit ISA bus in a card form factor<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I got hold of one of these, which is indeed recognized by the eClient 630L (even without reboot) but does not seem to find any APs - will try again with an external antenna (needs <i>rarissime</i> Lucent MC plug) as soon as I get it.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Unfortunately PCMCI cards incorporating WPA encryption are very scarce, but they do exist.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">...and do actually work in the eClients?
If anyone has gotten a WPA-enabled model to work in this machine, I am certainly not the only one curious to learn the precise type.
eto
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by eto »

I recenlty acquired 30 of these Eizo 630L-N machines, and would like to install more software on it. I'm following this thread, because there is not much other information available...

If possible, could you share any URL's you have on more information on 'hacking' these machines?

I've recently got my hands on Platform Builder CE 4.2, and was able to create NK.BIN files myself. I've not been able to create a NK.BIN file that was started, but I'll keep trying ;-)

Linux is for me a good solution, if the 1024x768x16 resolution can be used... did you succeed in that?
FRankie
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by FRankie »

Recently got an EIZO 630 machine. Want to do the firmware opgrade but it's no longer available at the eizo site (link http://www.eizo-downloads.com/downloads ... /index.php , is dead.)
Can someone point me to a location where I can download this file? Thanks, FRank
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

If anyone has gotten a WPA-enabled model to work in this machine, I am certainly not the only one curious to learn the precise type.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Unfortunately I managed to get my hands on this card, at a reasonable price. But I knew these cards are supposed to work because they are mentioned in the user manual of the eClient. Perhaps that's a good starting point ;-)
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by eto</i>
<br />If possible, could you share any URL's you have on more information on 'hacking' these machines?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">30?! You must have gotten really enthusiastic!<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I've recently got my hands on Platform Builder CE 4.2, and was able to create NK.BIN files myself. I've not been able to create a NK.BIN file that was started, but I'll keep trying ;-)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I have tried that path only briefly. As soon as I understood what this NK.BIN file was, I abandoned it because you probably need some platform support files to get this to work.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Linux is for me a good solution, if the 1024x768x16 resolution can be used... did you succeed in that?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Yes, and no: The OpenSuse installer works, in full resolution and color. You need to create a bootable OpenSuse CD for this and have a USB CD-ROM drive connected to the eClient. Because the eClient doesn't boot from CD-ROM, you need to duplicate the bootable part of the CD-ROM (or the first boot floppy) onto a CF-Card and boot from there.

You can also attach a floppy drive to the eClient, but you need a header connector for that and I haven't tried that.

It's also possible to connect a 2.5" IDE drive, using a fine-pitch header connector. I have those on stock, but I'm not really active in that project anymore. I've 'only' got 5 eClients ;-)
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by FRankie</i>
<br />Recently got an EIZO 630 machine. Want to do the firmware opgrade but it's no longer available at the eizo site (link http://www.eizo-downloads.com/downloads ... /index.php , is dead.)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">It seems that Eizo has removed all eClient related stuff. There's still some information in the Google cache, but all links appear to be dead. You can send me a PM.
eto
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by eto »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">30?! You must have gotten really enthusiastic!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I've created a 4x4 grid of stripped down 630's. Check http://mp12.tweakblogs.net/ for some pictures.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Linux is for me a good solution, if the 1024x768x16 resolution can be used... did you succeed in that?
Yes, and no: The OpenSuse installer works, in full resolution and color. You need to create a bootable OpenSuse CD for this and have a USB CD-ROM drive connected to the eClient. Because the eClient doesn't boot from CD-ROM, you need to duplicate the bootable part of the CD-ROM (or the first boot floppy) onto a CF-Card and boot from there.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Thanks for this information! I'll try to start booting the machine from a CF, although my experience in that field is somewhat limited.'
Is there a way to install the complete SUSE from CF card, or do I always need the CD-ROM? And do you have some hints on how to configure the BOOT config of the 630?
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">It's also possible to connect a 2.5" IDE drive, using a fine-pitch header connector. I have those on stock, but I'm not really active in that project anymore. I've 'only' got 5 eClients ;-)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Hehe... I managed to sell 10 of them for the same price as I bought 30. Good luck with your new projects!

Thanks in advance for the reply's and information!

Return to “Touchpanels, Displays & UMPC devices.”