Tip: Affordable LCD terminal

Forum about all kind of Touchpanels & Displays.
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

I'm sorry to pollute this forum with this thread, but I didn't know where else to put it. Pieter, feel free to move it anywhere else.

Anyone interested in a 15 inch full color TFT control panel? You can get one for (way) under 150 Euro. I've been looking for an affordable solution but I find a wall-mounted iPaq a bit flimsy. But here's a better suggestion: The Eizo eClient.

It's a thin-client, running Windows CE 2.1. I don't know if it runs CE domotica applications directly, but it does run a windows Terminal Services client. In the latter case, you need a Windows NT4, 2000 or 2003 (?) server as a host, but a real fanatic already has one up and running, right?

There's even a verion available with a touch screen, though these are pretty rare. You can recognize them by the trailing LT in the type number.

There are currently 7 of them on eBay (in Germany) and 2 on Marktplaats (of which I will pick up the cheapest one this evening). Unfortunately all without touch screen, but a gyropoint mouse (made by Gyration Inc.) could make up for that.
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

I have managed to upgrade my eClient 630L with Windows CE 4.1, making it an eClient 630L-N, without the far-too-expensive upgrade kit. It now runs Internet Explorer 5 and it can connect to RDP servers using 65536 colors, instead of just 256. The upgrade also allows the use of sound connections, USB/SER/PAR connections and the use of the PCMCIA card slot.

Did I mention that ANY Windows XP version can provide RDP services and therefore this terminal client can be used to control ANY Windows XP computer?
skirkybaby
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by skirkybaby »

Hi MindBender...

I have a old 630L (We used to have a massive eClient/Citrix Installation where I work here). A few years ago we got rid of most of them, and I kept a 630L, thinking it would become handy one day. Recently Ive setup a cacti Monitoring server (http://www.cacti.net) which is web based. Unforunately Id like sound and decent colours via RDP session, which I cannot get with an Upgrade Kit, or a Citrix server, as the Citrix server's dissappered when I took them out ages ago, and were re-used for something else, Im stuck without anything useful.

Any help you could give me to get a newer version of CE on my 630L would be greatly appreciated. email : equaz0r AT hotmail.com
Tomcat
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Tomcat »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MindBender</i>
<br />I have managed to upgrade my eClient 630L with Windows CE 4.1, making it an eClient 630L-N, without the far-too-expensive upgrade kit. It now runs Internet Explorer 5 and it can connect to RDP servers using 65536 colors, instead of just 256. The upgrade also allows the use of sound connections, USB/SER/PAR connections and the use of the PCMCIA card slot.

Did I mention that ANY Windows XP version can provide RDP services and therefore this terminal client can be used to control ANY Windows XP computer?

I won't publish my upgrade instructions, but I'll be happy to help people individually.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I'm interested in the instructions on how to upgrade the E630-L client. Because i'm lucky to have an old eClient that my boss decided to replace by the HP ThinClient series, i'm looking for a way to get my eClient working with the newer CE version. The Upgrade pack is so expensive that i won't like to pay that kind of money for just a hobby. Please send me an e-mail with the instructions.
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

Below are the instructions to upgrade an eClient 630L to a 630L-N version. I'm fairly sure this procedure can also be used to upgrade an eClient eClient 630LT-GR to an eClient 630LT-GR-N too, but I haven't tried that. Feel free to sponsor me with an eClient 630LT-GR and I'll let you know ;-)
<ul><li>First download the approriate firmware from Eizo:http://www.eizo-downloads.com/downloads ... /index.php
Currently the latest firmware is 2.7.6. You may try to upgrade your eClient with this firmware using the regular Eizo upgrade procedure; The upgrade kit may just be a Windows CE license, while the upgrade procedure isn't guarded. It may just work. Please post your experience.</li>
<li>On the right hand side of the eClient is a PCMCIA slot. Sometimes it's covered by a little lid. Below this PCMCIA slot is a CF slot, holding a 32MB Eizo CF card with the firmware on it. You have to remove the back of your eClient in order to to reach this card. Remove this card from the eClient, put it in your PC (using a USB reader) and <b>backup all files</b> on it.</li>
<li>Unzip the downloaded archive using WinZip or Windows embedded unzipper.</li>
<li>Unpack the resulting file using my UnEizo command line tool: [img]images/icon_paperclip.gif[/img]uneizo.zipAfter the last file it will give an error, as also described in the forum, but that's perfectly normal. I didn't bother to make the tool perfect because I needed it only once.</li>
<li>Remove all files from the CF card, <b>except</b> for the file called <font face="Courier New">Id.bin</font id="Courier New">. This file contains the serial number of your eClient. It's no problem if you accidentally delete it, but your eClient will have serial number 0, which is very nice.</li>
<li>Copy the file <font face="Courier New">nk.bin</font id="Courier New">, as exctracted by UnEizo onto the card.</li>
<li>Create a direction called <font face="Courier New">ICA</font id="Courier New"> on the card and copy the following files, as exctracted by UnEizo, into it:
<font face="Courier New">4824.reg
adpcmC.dll
audcvtC.dll
ceicacfg.exe
ceicamgr.exe
ica.inf
icareduC.dll
Module.ini
nehttpC.dll
netcpC.dll
pdc128C.dll
pdcompC.dll
pdframeC.dll
pdreliC.dll
pdtapiC.dll
pnagent.exe
pnicon.exe
sslasock.dll
sslsdk_b.dll
tdcommC.dll
vdcamC.dll
vdcmC.dll
vdcom30C.dll
vdcpm30C.dll
vdfon30C.dll
vdlicC.dll
vdscardC.dll
vdspl30c.dll
vdtw30C.dll
vdtwiC.dll
vdzlcC.dll
wfcmoveC.exe
wficaCE.exe
wficaobj.dll</font id="Courier New"></li>
<li>Create a direction called <font face="Courier New">RDP</font id="Courier New"> on the card and copy the following files, as exctracted by UnEizo, into it:
<font face="Courier New">0031.reg
divide.exe
FN-153xEvaApp.exe
inetcpl.cpl
mstsc.exe
mstscax.dll
RasDial.exe
rdp.inf
RegEdit.exe
ssfloat.dll
taskman.exe
tsconman.exe
tsconwiz.exe
wbtcpl.cpl
wbtprncpl.cpl
wbtprnwiz.dll
wbtsetup.exe
wbtwizrd.exe</font id="Courier New"></li>
<li>Put back the CF card, turn on the eClient and you're done!</li>
</ul>
Note: You may get the urge to put in a bigger CF card, but that's completely useless. It only uses about 20MB of this card and the rest won't be used for anything. You may want to put in a <i>faster</i> CF card.

Note2: You could upgrade the amount of RAM by installing a bigger SO-DIMM. An eClient 630L has 32MB where a 630L-N has 64MB. I don't think larger memories are supported. I haven't upgraded the memory and my 630L(-N) works fine.

Note3: I'm still working on getting Linux to run on this terminal, but I could use some help...
Tomcat
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Tomcat »

Thanks. This upgrade procedure was quite simple. Didn't know that the CF card was readable on a normal PC. Anyway my 630L is now upgraded and i'm very pleased that i have a newer IE and RDP client running.
walde
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by walde »

I have a problem with the Update files form Eizo.

1. i have download the last files from http://www.eizo-downloads.com/downloads ... /index.php
2. i have download the uneizo tool
3. (my PC have windows 2000 pro)
open the commandline by cmd and have say uneizo "xxx.zip" from Eizo

but he give me a error

R:\uneizo>uneizo 630ln_276.zip
Found file:
, length: 0x0
Error: Could not output file: 630ln_276.zip

Please help !!!!

Best regards
Dirk
Tomcat
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Tomcat »

Send me you e-mail address and i will mail you an couple of RAR files of my image. Just unrar it and copy the files onto your CF card, re-insert it in your Eizo and it will work. (You might want to make a copy of your CF card if you don't trust the update and might want to revert in the future).
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by walde</i>
<br />R:\uneizo>uneizo 630ln_276.zip
Found file:
, length: 0x0
Error: Could not output file: 630ln_276.zip
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Unzip the 630ln_276.zip using WinZip (duhuh). The file that you have extracted from the zip-file can be used with UnEizo. After extracting a number of files you will receive an error; This is perfectly normal because I don't know enough about the Eizo file format to know how many files are in it and thus where to stop.
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

I know I guys who sells these terminals, upgraded and wel at 55 Euro a piece. They can be used to log on to ANY Windows XP computer, multiple sessions at a time and they have a stand-alone Internet Explorer 5 on board. Anyone interested?
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

Your first post says the LT is one with touchscreen, do you have any information about thinclient screens, with touchscreen? That would be really nice ;-)

also, if your looking for a cheap thin client only..
http://www.nowthatsit.nl/ they buy in big or second hand too.

If you see for instance: http://www.tft-solutions.nl/index.php?cat=23462

You see alot of screens, and they can be with touch sensitivity too, but how does a person connect this to a pc/thin client?
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

Nope; I have no interest in a thin client. I'm just looking for a nice TFT screen that can be easily integrated into my Domotica system. the Eizo eClient makes a good candidate because it can log onto my server and run a domotica application from there. Or it cannot logon to any server, but display a special webpage to control the house, using it's built-in Internet Explorer. They boot fast, they are energy efficient and they are available at low prices. They can even Windows or Linux themselves, but that takes a little more effort.

You can forget about the touch screen version: I've been looking for those a long time and they're pretty rare. I was once offered two of them at 120 Euro a piece but I let it go because I thought it was too expensive. At that time I didn't know about the possibility to upgrade them and I just started to look for them, so I didn't know any better. Now I'd buy them in a heartbeat.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

search on martkplaats.nl touchscreen inbouw a 12,1 inch for 140 euro (touchscreen) and some elo's. I have no clue whats good and whats not and how to get 'touch' to work on a thinclient or similar.
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

If you're looking for a 12,1 inch touch screen, you can get a new one here for that money:
http://inkoopacties.nl/ia/ttpyz1v3

I'm planting thin clients troughout my house: They're cheap, available, low power and they've got a built-in Internet Explorer 5 browser.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

I would go for 15 inch, like the elo 15 inch wall build for instance, it would come near my wall (entrance livingroom) i could then hook it up to my media pc for instance. But a thin client would be sufficient too.

Return to “Touchpanels, Displays & UMPC devices.”