Multiple controllers on same network

Forum and Topics about Z-Wave devices.
gohan
Starting Member
Starting Member

Multiple controllers on same network

Post by gohan »

Hi
Is it possible to run more than one zwave controller on same zwave network? I am asking for testing purposes only in order to try those software controllers running on raspberry pi without messing around too much with a working zwave network.
mhn

Re: Multiple controllers on same network

Post by mhn »

Yes but only one of them can be primary.

And you will have some problems with routing.

I have done that kind of testing a lot. :-)

Regards
Morten
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

I once had two controllers in my network one primary and one secondary and eventually ended up with two secondary controllers and had to re-setup my network when trying to swap controllers :D

But it is possible LINK
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
gohan
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by gohan »

so basically what whould be the drawbacks of running a secondary controller? (besides the routing problems)
Like for example if I have a primary controller like FIbaro HC or a Zipabox and I want to test Domotiga or OpenHAB without interfering too much with running setup
mhn

Post by mhn »

Not much. Devices that send reports will often only send them to one controller.

My net has had two controllers most of its 7 year life. :-) Until recently it was Homeseer 2 and 3.

I have had primary problems too. But I have never rebuilt my net. I always find a way around them. Most off the time by booting the primary that doesn’t know it should be primary.

Regards
Morten

Return to “Z-Wave Forum”