Type of wire for signalling Z-Wave modules

Forum and Topics about Z-Wave devices.
Woozy
Starting Member
Starting Member

Type of wire for signalling Z-Wave modules

Post by Woozy »

I was wondering what type of wire I can use for Qubino and Fibaro dimmer/switch modules? Just to be able to control the device, the manual says you need to connect a live wire via a push button switch to the switch ports. It's only for signalling of course, but since this wire has ~230V potential, is it safe to use e.g. very thin signal wire? Otherwise, can I use a lower voltage to control the module with thin wires?
fabian

Re: Type of wire for signalling Z-Wave modules

Post by fabian »

There doesn't seem to be a real sepration between S1/S2 and L(ive) or N(eutral). S1/S2 are operated by conneting them to live, so it's safe to say you're working with ~ 230V. I wouldn't use anything below 1,5mm^2. When using realy thin wires like UTP (AWG24) over long distance, the impedance increased so you'll get voltage drops.
Last edited by fabian on Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Phaeton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Phaeton »

Fabian, I gues you mean wouldn't use anything below 1,5mm? Because using utp cable with 230V doesn't look like a safe plan and is not according any regulation?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Moto G (4) met Tapatalk
groeten,
Harry
fabian

Post by fabian »

Phaeton wrote:Fabian, I gues you mean wouldn't use anything below 1,5mm? Because using utp cable with 230V doesn't look like a safe plan and is not according any regulation?
Uhuh, typo :)

I'm not sure what regulations say about this. X10 micromodules use thinner wires for local control and they also use ~ 230V.
coyote
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by coyote »

The current determines the core thickness, the voltage the isolation quality.
Since you're going to use just a couple of mA to operate the device you can get by with really thin wire.
However, make sure it is rated for at least 230V. And a thicker core adds physical strength to the wire.
Conrad has a nice 0,5mm core rated at 400V, a joy to work with in a confined space.

Return to “Z-Wave Forum”