New installation: Fibaro, Qubino or Zipato after all?

Forum and Topics about Z-Wave devices.
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

New installation: Fibaro, Qubino or Zipato after all?

Post by MindBender »

Our old home, equipped with Xanura S/X10 and HomeSeer installation is sold. The day before transfer, another dimmer broke down, but we were able to fix that by replacing it with a regular switch.

Now I have the choice to equip my new house with domotica gear. Aside from the question whether I should actually do that, I'm wondering what modules to select if I do. I was first considering Fibaro modules, but their dimmer only seem to work with loads over 25 Watt. Qubino dimmers seem to do fine starting from 4 Watt and have a lower power consumption of 0.7 Watt versus 1.5 of Fibaro modules. And advantage, because we only have LED illumination in our house.

Does anybody want to share their experiences with these modules? I am interested in your considerations, but also experiences on reliability: With my Xanura installation, I had to replace a module every two months for the first 2...3 year. I'm not looking forward to doing that again.

And what controller should I use? I have a HS3 license, but I never liked it very much. It's slow, not very reliable and ugly. I love the Zipato tile, but I would like to have something like that as control panels in my rooms, not as the controller of my whole house. The Fibaro HC2 looks nice, but I'm reading a lot about bugs. Any experiences here?
Bastiaan

Re: New installation: Fibaro, Qubino or Zipato after all?

Post by Bastiaan »

First of all, my Xanura modules work for 10-15 years without a single problem. I am gradually replacing some dimmers and switches and tried Duwi, fibaro and Qubino. My experience with the first batch of zwave was not too good but since Zwave plus and the HS zwave boxes it got better. Qubino is well made it seems, does not make noise but does not always work well with HS3. Fibaro has a bit more support and since their version 2 it seems easy to handle and keeps working fine. Not sure of the wattage I have on them but it is less than 25 and working ok.
In normal use I hardly notice any difference. Guess it will mainly be decided by the control box you use. Only time will tell if they keep working.
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

Bastiaan wrote:First of all, my Xanura modules work for 10-15 years without a single problem.
Experiences vary. The first two years were dramatic, after that it stabilized. The switches can easily be repaired, because it's usually just the capacitor that dried out. The dimmers are a bit harder. I had one that completely melted, but still worked. X10 remains inherently unreliable, regardless whether you name it S10. I've been hunting down poorly designed wall adapters, LED lights and small appliances that caused so much interference that the modules even ignored their local switches. And they were acoustically LOUD. It was like hearing crickets everywhere. Needless to say; I have no regrets letting them go.
Bastiaan wrote:I am gradually replacing some dimmers and switches and tried Duwi, fibaro and Qubino. My experience with the first batch of zwave was not too good but since Zwave plus and the HS zwave boxes it got better.
Hm, thanks for the warning. I have ordered a couple of Qubino flush dimmers. For switches I might select Fibaro.
As an interface, I ordered an Aeon Labs Aeotec Gen 5 Z-stick. It seem to be the industry standard.
Bastiaan wrote:Qubino is well made it seems, does not make noise but does not always work well with HS3. Fibaro has a bit more support and since their version 2 it seems easy to handle and keeps working fine. Not sure of the wattage I have on them but it is less than 25 and working ok.
I like the potted design of the Qubino. That is; If they don't break down. Because if they do, they'll be impossible to repair. The Xanure modules broke down easily, but were also easy to fix. Though the potting will keep them silent.
I think I'm going to toss HS3. I've got an HS3 pro license, but I never liked it; It feels like amateuristic software, kept together with tape, staples and paper clips. The UI is ugly, poorly designed and unresponsive. However, it interfaces with nearly anything one can think off, so it's not yet a done deal. I would prefer a fibaro HC2, but I will never get that to communicate with exotics like my heat pump.
Bastiaan wrote:In normal use I hardly notice any difference. Guess it will mainly be decided by the control box you use. Only time will tell if they keep working.
I guess you're right. Thanks for the heads up; I appreciate it.
Bastiaan

Post by Bastiaan »

There are several HS people here that tried Fibaro but also found it buggy and limited. Than you might be better of with a ugly but versatile tool like HS. It has been very stable lately. And yes it's a lot more work to get a good looking interface but I like a screen in every room so I can see the door camera when someone rings or a caller I'd etc..
I am also building a new house ( in Thailand) and of course with the same thoughts and doubts. Also looked at KNX but found Zwave cheaper and more simple. Going to make DIN rail boxes in most rooms with the quibino devices.If something better comes up it is an easy change. Also putting devices that heat up in tiny spaces seems recipe for disaster, especially in the tropics. :D
May be I can advice you to talk to Enver here on the forum or make an appointment with him http://HAshop.nl. He knows HS and Fibaro and is one of the people that stayed with Fibaro so he can tell you "the otherside" of the story. Don't forget to share your experience here.
John

Post by John »

MindBender wrote:
Bastiaan wrote:First of all, my Xanura modules work for 10-15 years without a single problem.
Experiences vary. The first two years were dramatic, after that it stabilized. The switches can easily be repaired, because it's usually just the capacitor that dried out. The dimmers are a bit harder. I had one that completely melted, but still worked. X10 remains inherently unreliable, regardless whether you name it S10. I've been hunting down poorly designed wall adapters, LED lights and small appliances that caused so much interference that the modules even ignored their local switches. And they were acoustically LOUD. It was like hearing crickets everywhere. Needless to say; I have no regrets letting them go.
Bastiaan wrote:I am gradually replacing some dimmers and switches and tried Duwi, fibaro and Qubino. My experience with the first batch of zwave was not too good but since Zwave plus and the HS zwave boxes it got better.
Hm, thanks for the warning. I have ordered a couple of Qubino flush dimmers. For switches I might select Fibaro.
As an interface, I ordered an Aeon Labs Aeotec Gen 5 Z-stick. It seem to be the industry standard.
Bastiaan wrote:Qubino is well made it seems, does not make noise but does not always work well with HS3. Fibaro has a bit more support and since their version 2 it seems easy to handle and keeps working fine. Not sure of the wattage I have on them but it is less than 25 and working ok.
I like the potted design of the Qubino. That is; If they don't break down. Because if they do, they'll be impossible to repair. The Xanure modules broke down easily, but were also easy to fix. Though the potting will keep them silent.
I think I'm going to toss HS3. I've got an HS3 pro license, but I never liked it; It feels like amateuristic software, kept together with tape, staples and paper clips. The UI is ugly, poorly designed and unresponsive. However, it interfaces with nearly anything one can think off, so it's not yet a done deal. I would prefer a fibaro HC2, but I will never get that to communicate with exotics like my heat pump.
Bastiaan wrote:In normal use I hardly notice any difference. Guess it will mainly be decided by the control box you use. Only time will tell if they keep working.
I guess you're right. Thanks for the heads up; I appreciate it.
Which is the interface type of your heat pump?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

Bastiaan wrote:There are several HS people here that tried Fibaro but also found it buggy and limited. Than you might be better of with a ugly but versatile tool like HS. It has been very stable lately. And yes it's a lot more work to get a good looking interface but I like a screen in every room so I can see the door camera when someone rings or a caller I'd etc..
So HS still sucks, but there's still no better alternative? That was the motto I bought it with, many years ago...
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

John wrote:Which is the interface type of your heat pump?
It's a Nibe (F1145-PC), which has an Ethernet interface, I think.
John

Post by John »

Ethernet is possible. I went for Modbus with the same heating pump. As to my understanding the token was only valid for a limited amount of time (I believe 2 hours) but that was at the end of 2013 so maybe the limitation is not longer there

MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

John wrote:Ethernet is possible. I went for Modbus with the same heating pump.
What do you mean by that? Are Ethernet and ModBus options that need to be installed? The manual mentions Ethernet, so I kind'a assumed it comes with an Ethernet interface standard.
John wrote:As to my understanding the token was only valid for a limited amount of time (I believe 2 hours) but that was at the end of 2013 so maybe the limitation is not longer there
?
John

Post by John »

I think the new versions have standard an Ethernet card. Does the manual also indicate after how many minutes your password will expire? Or is this not applicable anymore?

---
John

Return to “Z-Wave Forum”