Merten Radio Configurator Connect

Forum and Topics about Z-Wave devices.
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

Q: Anyone knows whether or not the Merten Radio Configurator Software works with an AEON ZWAVE stick ?
mhn

Post by mhn »

I have tryed without luck.

But I only used 30 minutes.
EzHome

Post by EzHome »

@willem, doesn't support other products only the Merten Controller
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ezHome</i>
<br />@willem, doesn't support other products only the Merten Controller
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Thanks for the feedback ...
abl

Post by abl »

Just for my clarity; it is possible to control the Merten Connect series components with the Aeon zwave stick, isn't it?!
EzHome

Post by EzHome »

Yes, Merten devices can be controlled by the Aeon-Labs Z-stick. But the Merten software can't be used in combination with the z-stick.
wellepi
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by wellepi »

Im struggling with the integration of Merten Zwave products in the VERA control box. The battery operated radio buttons dont work. As a workaround I was thinking to add the VERA control box as primary controller into the MERTEN radio configurator connect tool and to have the Merten buttons configured by this tool. I know I have to order a MERTEN zwave usb stick to do so, but at least this could solve my problem and provide me also the advantages of the VERA control box. Does anybody know if zwave products of other zwave manufacturers (and more specifically the VERA control box) can be included into the MERTEN radio configurator connect tool?
Pieter
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

Hi Pieter,

I have a similair problem with HS i.e. The Radio RF buttons are added to HS, but it is impossible to associate a button with another device. I guess Merten has a trick to keep the devices powered on during configuration. I might be tempted to get a Merten ZWAVE stick to try it out.

I briefly examined the Merten Code it seems to look for a specific (USB) ID. I don't believe Merten created their own interface, most likely OEM of an other well known manufacturer.
EzHome

Post by EzHome »

It can be done in Vera to add these kind of devices as a secondary controller. But only one button of the two can be used to control a scene.
Seems like there are lots of problems with using these batt. powered devices.

I have seen one work with all the four buttons and thats the Qees Wall.
For this moment I don't know if that's because of the Qees Wall or the Qees Master. In about 2 weeks I will know for sure and I can help you to answer the question.

If Vera can be added as a primary controller into the Easy Connect software....... Don't think so but not for sure

Let's make z-wave EZ
mhn

Post by mhn »

You can connect all the devices to Veras net, and then make associations directly from remote/buttons to dimmers/switch.

You will not get scenes, but you can control light.

I use a Duwi remote that way.

Regards
Morten
wellepi
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by wellepi »

Morten,

Interesting but I dont understand what you mean. The problem is that when I connect the Merten two Button controller (4 channels) to Vera, only the 0 position of the left button is recognised by VERA when using scenes as explained for battery operated controllers in the wiki.
Can you explain how you "<i>make associations directly from remote/buttons to dimmers/switch</i>"?

Pieter
mhn

Post by mhn »

Hi Pieter.

Z-wave works fine without a master. What I mean is that you can connect it all to the same net with your master as primary. (your masters net.)

The remotes, that do not work with the master, can connect to devices as if there where no master. And then both remote and the master can control the device.

Hmm that might not make it more easy to understand. :-)

An example.

My Innovus House Control can not understand my Duwi remote.

I connect the Duwi remote to House Controls net. House Control do not understand anything but "there is a new device on my net".

Then I go to the room, where I what to use the remote and make associations between remote and the devices in the room, the way the remote wants to do it. Now the remote can control the devices in the room.

And House Control can still control the devices in the room.

Both master and remote controls the devices, but they will newer be able to work together. Hence the remote will never start a scene on the master. And the master will never tell me, that the remote needs a new battery.

But the remote doesn't end up in the "can not use" box. :-)

Regards
Morten
wellepi
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by wellepi »

Hi Morten,
Lets recap. In your case Innovus House Control is the primary controller of your network.
1. You add first the Duwi remote control to the house control. (In this case the Duwi will be a secondary controller) The house control cannot communicate with it but at least its part of the same network.
2. I suspect that you also add the device in the room to the Innovus House Control. Otherwise this device would not be part of your network
3. Then you go to the device in the room and peer the remote control directly with the device. With Merten devices you can only do this when you first reset the remote control and the concerned receiver and then peer them directly. Once a remote control is added to the house control, it is configured as secondary controller and cannot act anymore as a primary controller unless you reset it. In that case a new network is created and the house control will no longer be able to control the device in the house. I initially tried out this possibility with VERA and Merten devices, but there is no way to cheat the network.

An alternative that works is to use the remote controller as primary controller and to copy the network into the home Control. (VERA foresees this possibility) In this case the Home control will act as secondary controller and is able to communicate with the network. The disadvantage of this set-up is that every time you want to add a device you will have to add it to the primary controller (battery powered button) and then copy the network into the home control in order to make it aware of the changes. No devices can be added directly to home control. In this case I willl never be able to connect devices that are not recognised by the remote control.
VERA also allows to do a controller shift so that the home control becomes primary controller but this must also be supported by the MERTEN controller and up till now I dont now how.

Pieter.
mhn

Post by mhn »

Hi Pieter.

I have never tried a Merten "remote". So I am not sure what they can do.

(Except Merten Connect Radio Transmitter flush-mounted 4-gang, and I tested that with a Vera firmware that was really bad. No remotes worked at that time. I do not test for direct connections. I test if they work with the masters.)

But I think you have to forget the primary/secondary controller way of thinking.

My House Controller sees my Duwi as a controller. But thats all.

I am still able to connect it to devices directly.

With Merten my guess is that you bring the remote to the device, and triple click the right button on the remote and triple click the dimmer. (If the dimmer is Merten)

I tried to read a Merten manual. But they don't use much text on non-Merten setups. :-)

Regards
Morten
wellepi
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by wellepi »

Morten,

Indeed with Merten you have to triple click the device to peer it. But once it is peered you cant peer it anymore with another controller. Up until now I could not find a push button that works with VERA.

Pieter

Return to “Z-Wave Forum”