Problems with Aeon Labs USB stick and Homeseer

Forum and Topics about Z-Wave devices.
abl

Post by abl »

I've installed a few (Merten) Z-wave devices last days and today received my Aeon Labs USB stick. When trying to initialize this in Homeseer it keeps giving me error messages ('Unable to find interface, no response from controller'). I've tried putting the stick in other USB ports but that didn't help. Anybody an idea?
abl

Post by abl »

After some trial and error I managed to get Homeseer acknowledging my z-wave device. Unfortunately an other error pops up; 'Interface version is 5, which is unsupported'. I looked at the Homeseer support site and there it was suggested that Homeseer doesn't support this version of the library yet'. What does this mean?

p.s. the trial and error: it proved to be that you should select the 'COM interface' and let the comport number be equal to that in the hardware devices under 'Ports COM/LPT' showing 'Silicon Labs CP210x...<b>COM</b>X'. By right clicking this device you can change the comport if you like.
mhn

Post by mhn »

It means that you stick has the new version of the Z-Wave protocol.

The new ones should be able to upgrade firmware. Maybe it can be downgraded to?
EzHome

Post by EzHome »

The dongle has the new 5.02 sp3 ZDK protocol, dont't know for sure this can be solved with the Beta from Homeseer. Is there anything on the forum about this?
I'm not running Homeseer but Vera supports it without any problem also in the older firmware.

Let's make z-wave EZ
EzHome

Post by EzHome »

I think the beta supports it, Homeseer is selling the new version on it's website

http://store.homeseer.com/store/Z-STICK ... 47C66.aspx

Let's make z-wave EZ
abl

Post by abl »

Can I download somewhere an older firmware version so that I can start playing around with Homeseer? (btw I'm running 2.3.0.19 version of Homeseer)...
EzHome

Post by EzHome »

For this moment the only available firmware is with the 5.02 sp3 ZDK protocol, the older ones can not be loaded on the new stick.
I will publish the new firmware releases on the Aeon-Labs.nl website as soon as they will be available.

@Arno: I'll try to figure out if the new Beta supports it, there are several approvements in it so that might solve your problem now.

Keep you posted.

Let's make z-wave EZ
abl

Post by abl »

@ezHome: thanks...

I tried to get things going with an older version of Homeseer (2.0.2041) and I succeeded to get Z-wave to be initialised. In the first instance it detects 3 z-wave nodes. However when I want to 'Manage' these from Interface tab there are two error message: 'Try ... power of the device' (very quick message so I can't precisely say what the error message is) and 'Waiting for device information.... Use your remote to start sending the information' and it goes on forever without doing anything.

The procedure I followed (when the COM-port of my Aeon Z-stick is known in Homeseer) is to:
- Firstly reset the controller (succesful in first instance).
- Secondly to take the stick and connect with other devices (one click on the stick and three-click on the Merten switch). The Merten device starts blinking and the stick starts to show a blue light for 3 seconds instead of blinking.
- Thirdly take back the stick to the pc and try to learn devices. Than the system is not able to learn devices and keeps saying 'Waiting for device information'.

What am I doing wrong?
EzHome

Post by EzHome »

What device are you adding, is it a batt. powered device or is it your blinds device?
EzHome

Post by EzHome »

Found this on the Homeseer board:

Library version 2.78 and ZDK 5.02 is supported in HomeSeer Beta Release 2.3.0.112 and later.

Maybe it's a good thing to just update to the current Beta release 2.3.0.120

Let's make z-wave EZ
abl

Post by abl »

I just reinstalled the Homeseer software (version 2.3.0.12). And it recognizes my Aeon Labs stick. I'm also able to see that the interface Homeseer sees 5 nodes (6 including the static controller. But how can I setup devices in Homeseer that are able to control my Z-wave devices?
abl

Post by abl »

@ezHome; I don't have any battery powered devices (just 1 screen controller, 1 dimmer and 3 switches; all Merten)
EzHome

Post by EzHome »

okay great, so that did solve it!

I don't understand you question about setting up devices which are able to control z-wave devices?
abl

Post by abl »

Yes, that did indeed solve it (thanks for the solution again).

Under 'Interfaces - Node Info' I can see 6 Node numbers that correspond to the Z-wave devices I have in my home.

My question is how can I control these in Homeseer as they don't pop up in the 'View Devices' sheet?

I just tried the 'Import Devices' function and I think this has done the job.
EzHome

Post by EzHome »

Correct, you have to "Import Devices" beneath "Controller Functions", now you can control the devices and add them to your romms/floors.

With this function you import the devices which are stored on the z-stick.

(Just downloaded a trail from Homeseer, maybe I have you buy the software for testing)

Let's make z-wave EZ

Return to “Z-Wave Forum”