Z-Wave second try

Forum and Topics about Z-Wave devices.
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Z-Wave second try

Post by TANE »

Hi all,
At the moment I'm testing the new zwave devices. The one from elekhomica and mypowershop)

The problem started with the USB drivers..it cost me 2 hours to find the correct drivers..there is no cd or url link with the correct drivers..
finale after 4 reboots it's working.

Good thing is that the USB interface will also work as master...you can directly add devices..no need for master remote anymore.

The signal from the USB device is very weak...it will not reach the upper floor in my house..this problem can be easily solved via adding extra device somewhere on the second floor.

Homeseer is doing a great job as bridge between X10/A10 and Zwave.

more update soon...
DJF3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Z-Wave second try

Post by DJF3 »

I very interested in your findings.. Have to select a vendor for all switches in my new house (sw=Homeseer2). Unfortunately the number of devices from Z-Wave is not that big (no micromodules for example). (I did find a US site that sells European z-wave modules for $ 38!)

-Can you keep using your cheap, small and easy to fit X10 remotes? (how fast is the translation through RFXCOM receiver / Homeseer?)
-Wall switches still are somewhat pricey (about the same as Xanura)
-How does the Z-wave stuff integrate with HS and all other components (RFXCOM receiver/transmitter, Sensors for temp/hum/alarms, etc)

Cheers
DJ
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Z-Wave second try

Post by TANE »

@DJ

- X10 remotes will work only via events in HS
- Wall switch price is about 40% lower than xanura complete set.
- Zwave works fine with HS same possibilities as x10 and other products.

The two way communication in zwave is done via poll.
The HS poll time in 300 seconds you can change this for every device to 1 second in device settings.
Don't know what the effect of this will be on the total system.
There is another way for two way communication via associations...don't know if this will work with the USB device.

The bad thing about this is...
When you turn on a light switch HS will know this after 1 second.
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Z-Wave second try

Post by Digit »

Chak,

Do i understand you right that your polling interval determines how quick you're informed about changes inside Z-Wave devices? Is this only in HS or is this due to Z-Wave design?

Robert.
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Z-Wave second try

Post by TANE »

I not 100% sure but...this looks like a zwave problem.
Associations can solve the problem...if this will work. for my transmitter...:S

Associations
Use this screen to create and remove associations between devices.
Associations allow Z-Wave transmitters such as certain wall switches and motion detectors, to send commands directly to Z-Wave devices such as lamp modules, appliance modules, and wall switches.
Refer to the documentation of your devices to know which group number to use.
If you would like to set up an association between a transmitter and HomeSeer, you may also do this from the device properties page of the transmitter.

Select the Source (Controlling) Device
(Transmitter, Wall Switch, Motion Sensor, etc.)
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Z-Wave second try

Post by Digit »

Hmmm,

My first thought about associations would be that they make you less flexible as in not controlled dynamically by a piece of software but as a hard-coded setting in your Z-wave devices. I wouldn't mind (yet still wouldn't like it either) a 1 sec delay on switches, but for motion detectors and alike this would be totally unacceptable. Just as the need for polling is too...guess i have to start doing some reading on Z-Wave.

Robert.
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Z-Wave second try

Post by TANE »

The USB device what is available in Holland is also not allowing any associations.
I agree with you....hardcoded associations will make you system totally not flexible.
I'm sure this problem can be solved if you have an intelligent zwave pc interface.
flexer

Z-Wave second try

Post by flexer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DJF3-2</i>
<br />Unfortunately the number of devices from Z-Wave is not that big (no micromodules for example). (I did find a US site that sells European z-wave modules for $ 38!)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

There are other manufacturers of Zwave compatible devices. A good europe based company and very well known is Merten. Check it out on http://www.merten.de/html/en/9055.html . They have a lot of devices available, even the micromodules.

Regards,

Flexer
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Z-Wave second try

Post by TANE »

@Flexer
do you have any information available about?
price,
webshops..
flexer

Z-Wave second try

Post by flexer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chak</i>
<br />@Flexer
do you have any information available about?
price,
webshops..

I've a pricelist available of all components. Prices are on the same level as Xanura devices. I've not seen the products available at webshops. The dutch distributor redirects end-users to local dealers (elektrotechnische bureaus / installatiebedrijven).

Regards,

Flexer
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Z-Wave second try

Post by TANE »

Merten is known as qualitey company
Hoop there products will be availible soon.
DJF3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Z-Wave second try

Post by DJF3 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Digit</i>
<br />Hmmm,

My first thought about associations would be that they make you less flexible as in not controlled dynamically by a piece of software but as a hard-coded setting in your Z-wave devices. I wouldn't mind (yet still wouldn't like it either) a 1 sec delay on switches, but for motion detectors and alike this would be totally unacceptable. Just as the need for polling is too...guess i have to start doing some reading on Z-Wave.

Robert.

But you could "hardcode" the Z-Wave device to point to a Z-Wave number that gets different results based on other criteria in HS2 right?

1 sec delay is only for 100% realtime status info, so if you have a motion detector that you want to turn on a light you don't have this 1 sec delay because you don't care about the status right?

Tnx!
DJ

PS. I'm still thinking about getting all z-wave devices in my new house (in 1 month)
DJF3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Z-Wave second try

Post by DJF3 »

<i>Does anyone know what the delay is if the PC USB interface cannot reach a module far away?</i>

So PC interface on the attic sending out Device A1 ON and this is a device that cannot be reached. It has to go through A3 and A6 to get there. How long does it take?

<i>Will any Z-Wave device pass on a signal or do you need specific devices?</i>

<i>Has anyone tried to use Z-Wave modules together with "spaarlampen"? What lamps can be used and how does dimming work?</i>

Thanks!
DJ
Esteban
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Z-Wave second try

Post by Esteban »

@DJF3-2:
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Will any Z-Wave device pass on a signal or do you need specific devices?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Every device acts as a repeater, this is what creates the mesh network.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Has anyone tried to use Z-Wave modules together with "spaarlampen"? What lamps can be used and how does dimming work?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I use Z-Wave Appliance Modules to turn energy-saving bulbs (spaarlampen) ON and OFF. If what you're asking is if you can dim 'spaarlampen' with a Z-Wave Lamp Module the answer is no.

Unless you're asking if you can just turn them ON or OFF with a dimming module, of that I'm not sure. But I know they advise against it. I think energy-saving bulbs need a 'burst' of current to turn them on. As a Lamp Module turns up the current gradually this is probably why it doesn't work.

In order to dim Energy-saving bulbs (spaarlampen) you have to buy special ones that can dim. There is a thread about them on the forum.

http://www.domoticaforum.eu/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=666

Z-Wave module dimming works as follows: you press the button on the module once to turn the light on (it returns to its previous dimming setting) Next if you press the button and keep it pressed the light will dim. If you release the button for a millisec and press it again the light-level goes up again.
Bart
Starting Member
Starting Member

Z-Wave second try

Post by Bart »

"Panasonic joined to the Zensyss investors. This means that the next generation of Panasonic A/V devices will possible use Z-Wave to transmit commands instead of IR or RF. As a bonus well have a possibility to control whole house using just one remote and a simple way to integrate A/V equipment into one home automation solution."

http://www.cepro.com/article/panasonic_ ... _in_zensys

Maybe it's a trigger for more z-wave aimed at the european market/frequency............

Return to “Z-Wave Forum”