Aeon Labs Multi Sensor information / availability

Forum and Topics about Z-Wave devices.
airox

Re: Aeon Labs Multi Sensor information / availability

Post by airox »

Snelvuur:
You can choose between batteries or providing it with power by usb. I have them powered on through USB right now in my livingroom and both sleepingrooms as a replacement for JeeNode motion sensors. Providing it with USB power gave me the possibility to have it send sensor reports every 30 or 60 seconds. This makes it much more accurate and gives me nice detailed graphs. Doing this on batteries would drain them way to fast.

They are running a day now. They are happily reporting their sensor values right now. However the temperature readings are way to high (32,35,36 degrees celsius). I'm not sure if this is because of the USB voltage (batteries give 4x1,5V = 6V versus 5V on usb) or if this is because of the temperature inside the housing being higher then outside.

Gonna e-mail aeotec about this. Otherwise I need to configure an offset in my Z-wave driver to get the readings right.
marck

Post by marck »

Hi Airox,

How is the Multi Sensor performing at the moment? Compatibility with Homeseer etc. Temp, humidity and motion reliability. Battery life.
Yees. Sounds that we are waiting for a small review :D

Rg
Marck
airox

Post by airox »

Small review then ;-)

I'm not running them with Homeseer. So I can't say about the workings with Homeseer. My homemade driver hasn't had any issues with them so far.
I did have some issues with odd temperature readings though. My sleeping room sensor registrered 85,6 °C. And no ... this is not because of the things happening there ;-)

The lux sensors is a little bit to sensitive, but probably only because the sun is falling on it directly at certain times of the day. I still need to mount the sensors a bit better.
Sitting at the kitchen table about 4 meter away doesn't trigger the sensor. This is in the wall mounted option.

I can't say anything about battery life. I opted for putting them on USB adapters. So I never have to worry about the energy level anymore.

Concluded, they are working fine for my daily home automation purposes. If anyone wants a review of integration with Vera contact me, a collegeau of mine is using them in this setup.

Greetings!
marck

Post by marck »

Thanks for the review :wink:

Just a few questions.

1. The distance of 4 meter; does that mean that you are to close or to far away from the sensor.
2. What do you mean with an USB adapter. Have you connected the sensor with an USB cable to a computer? Lot's of cables I would think.

Actually I come a bit to the conclusion that the sensor still needs some work, referring to the 86 degrees, lux sensor and the distance of 4 meter.
randomname1929
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by randomname1929 »

airox wrote:Small review then ;-)

I'm not running them with Homeseer. So I can't say about the workings with Homeseer. My homemade driver hasn't had any issues with them so far.
I did have some issues with odd temperature readings though. My sleeping room sensor registrered 85,6 °C. And no ... this is not because of the things happening there ;-)

The lux sensors is a little bit to sensitive, but probably only because the sun is falling on it directly at certain times of the day. I still need to mount the sensors a bit better.
Sitting at the kitchen table about 4 meter away doesn't trigger the sensor. This is in the wall mounted option.

I can't say anything about battery life. I opted for putting them on USB adapters. So I never have to worry about the energy level anymore.

Concluded, they are working fine for my daily home automation purposes. If anyone wants a review of integration with Vera contact me, a collegeau of mine is using them in this setup.

Greetings!
I am the colleague that airox was talking about... :)

What I did:
-Upgraded my 4-in-1 sensor to the latest 1.18 firmware
-Contacted Vera support to get a special beta firmware wich support for the 4-in-1
-Create a script for Vera V3 to log all sensor activity to a mysql database
-Create website that provides a REST-like API tot access the logged sensor-data in the database
-Create a website that uses Google Chart Tools to represent the data

This is the result (X-axis spans over last 48 hours, of course this is configurable):
http://postimage.org/image/4ocicvga9

I set-up my 4-in-1 device so it is polled every 1800 seconds. I log everything I get back from the sensor, even if the values would have been the same for sequenced sensor values for a specific sensor (hum/temp/lum/pir). What I see is that Vera considers same values for the same sensor as being a duplicate, so an event is not thrown and the value is not logged to the database.

My conclusion is that the 4-in-1 sensor works pretty good, for all the sensors. The only sensor that behaves a bit unexpected is the light sensor. In full daylight it very quickly goes to a value of 1000. If you want to measure bright lights, this is probably not the best option, but for the situation where it gets dark, you can get some pretty relevant values.

The PIR graph is not veru useful or relevant, but its included anyway :-)

HTH anyone. If you have some questions, please ask.
marck

Post by marck »

Thanks for your reply, and the graphs, very helpful and clear.

Just curious, where is the sensor situated, since the volatility of e.g the temp and humidity is very significant. Temperature jumps from 17 /18 degrees to almost 40 degrees within 1 hour, and during 24 hours the temp jumps from below 10 to 40 degrees. In addition, humidity falls from 55% to about 30% also within one hour.

Rg
Marck
randomname1929
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by randomname1929 »

marck wrote:Thanks for your reply, and the graphs, very helpful and clear.

Just curious, where is the sensor situated, since the volatility of e.g the temp and humidity is very significant. Temperature jumps from 17 /18 degrees to almost 40 degrees within 1 hour, and during 24 hours the temp jumps from below 10 to 40 degrees. In addition, humidity falls from 55% to about 30% also within one hour.

Rg
Marck
Thank you.

The changes in the sensor values are caused by myself influencing the sensor voluntarily :D. E.g: placing it on a heater, hanging it outside the window (where it is currently colder then inside the house) and breathing into the humidity sensor :)

This was how the sensor was positioned:

http://postimage.org/image/wl42gwkr7/

I have another sensor in a closed environment with a server running in the environment and hardly any light. This resulted in the following graph:

http://postimage.org/image/zbdee3hg3/

The empty PID chart was cause because there has not been any movement in the last 2 days. The empty humidity chart is something I have to further explore. Maybe the humidity value is just very stable in the closed environment?
marck

Post by marck »

Thanks. This clears things up :D

Rg
Marck

Return to “Z-Wave Forum”