New Zwave products from Fibaro

Forum and Topics about Z-Wave devices.
xanhoera

Re: New Zwave products from Fibaro

Post by xanhoera »

jrkalf wrote:Can anybody tell me if these Fibaro switches allow for power metering as well. Or is this purely just switching?
I believe they have no power metering features. This is, at least I think, a feature the Aeon Lab micro modules do have.
(A bit off topic, but the Aeon Labs micro modules still aren't available yet? Amazing :-) )
jrkalf

Post by jrkalf »

xanhoera wrote:
jrkalf wrote:Can anybody tell me if these Fibaro switches allow for power metering as well. Or is this purely just switching?
I believe they have no power metering features. This is, at least I think, a feature the Aeon Lab micro modules do have.
(A bit off topic, but the Aeon Labs micro modules still aren't available yet? Amazing :-) )
Too bad. I've seen those switches too in a CES 2011 presentation on a blogsite too :(
cepro.com/article/tiny_z-wave_adapter_m ... tch_smart/

That thing would be awesome.
I do still wonder why manufactorers don't implement this feature by standard and only do this for plugs :(
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem!

Fibaro HC2, various z-wave switching, alerting, detection modules.
ELV FHT80b heating system.
hto
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by hto »

I'm curious if anyone from the UK has had a go with this in 2-wire mode, with a wiring setup like this: http://www.x10-hk.com/store/manual/plcb ... 67s-2w.pdf - I have quite a few of these PLCBus modules installed in the ceiling (or in the light fitting itself, which is very neat), which offer a reasonably good setup, but it does not have some of the benefits of z-wave (it does not report its status when switched locally, for example, so it always has to be polled - not ideal with PLCBus as the control unit buzzes when it polls).

Essentially, this wiring setup is a normal UK one - the module can not be installed behind the wall switch as it is only a switched live (no neutral). I have a momentary switch (normally closed) on the wall, and the unit knows that if I use the switch to break the circuit, it toggles its status from off to on or vice-versa. Can these modules do this?

Thanks!
jrkalf

Post by jrkalf »

hi HTO,

I've just been playing with the switches from Fibaro.. so the binary switch ones. They can do both pushbutton and bi-stable switching according to the manual. I'm using a bi-stable solution at my house. I have to flip the switch to turn it on and flip it back to turn it off.

hto
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by hto »

Hi jrkalf,

Thanks for the info... so do you have the module installed in the ceiling with just a switched live behind your bi-stable switch, or is the module installed behind your switch?
jrkalf

Post by jrkalf »

To get somewhat of a feel of how small Fibaro switches really are. I had them lined up next to my FS20 WS1 (wall insert switch) switches which already were quite small:

I'm pleased by this solution.

Sooty

Post by Sooty »

hto wrote:I'm curious if anyone from the UK has had a go with this in 2-wire mode, with a wiring setup like this: http://www.x10-hk.com/store/manual/plcb ... 67s-2w.pdf - I have quite a few of these PLCBus modules installed in the ceiling (or in the light fitting itself, which is very neat), which offer a reasonably good setup, but it does not have some of the benefits of z-wave (it does not report its status when switched locally, for example, so it always has to be polled - not ideal with PLCBus as the control unit buzzes when it polls).

Essentially, this wiring setup is a normal UK one - the module can not be installed behind the wall switch as it is only a switched live (no neutral). I have a momentary switch (normally closed) on the wall, and the unit knows that if I use the switch to break the circuit, it toggles its status from off to on or vice-versa. Can these modules do this?

Thanks!
You can install the Fibaro dimmers behind the switch but not the relay modules as they need a neutral wire. I am in the UK with standard live + swithed live behind the switch I have the dimmers installed this way. You can squeeze the module into a 35mm back box but 45mm is a much nicer fit. I had to replace some of my back boxes with 45mm which was not a 5 minute job as all the walls are solid brick (no plasterboard here).

I'm using MK Grid momentary switches as the inputs, but you can also use bi-stable switches no problem. There is a parameter to change the switch type.

To use the relays (switches) in a lighting application where there is no neutral wire at the switch you would have to install them at the light fitting location assuming the neutral wire is present in the ceiling. In the UK it is normal for the ring to loop from one ceiling rose to the next with the switch wires running from the ceiling rose to the switch. For this setup, you would need to move the switched live at the ceiling rose from the lamp to S1 on the relay. Connect live to L, neutral to N, link L and I and connect the lamp live to O.

From experience this is a lot easier to achive for the upstairs lights when access is available from the loft. I was in a friends new house a few weeks ago that had 8 downlighters installed in the kitchen when the house was originally built 1 year ago. I expected the ring connection point for the switch to be behind one of the downlights but after removing all 8 fittings it became obvious that this was not the case. The connection point was actually located in the next room and to get access to it we had to remove a section of the bedroom floor. Not funny.

Paul..
Uriel

Post by Uriel »

A interview Ihomeautomate had with Fibaro, for the interrested: (posted on 5-1-2012)

ihomeautomate.eu/2012/01/05/interview-w ... nd-future/
SteveMSJ
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by SteveMSJ »

I was excited when I read about these Fibaro modules as I am in the process of migrating from X10 to Zwave and thought I would be able to get the same functionality as my AIX12 modules. I have initially bought a 1x3kW and a 2x1.5kW to play around with in Homeseer HS2.
I’m testing the 2x1.5kW at the moment. In Homeseer it appears as 4 devices:
1. ‘Root Device 2’ with No status
2. ‘Child 2 Switch Binary Inst 1’ with On/Off status and control
3. ‘Child 2 Switch Binary Inst 2’ with On/Off status and control
4. ‘Child 2 Switch Binary’ with On/Off status and control
The on/off control buttons for inst 1 and inst 2 operate the respective relays, the 4th one just duplicates the operation of inst 1.
Initially I have no status updates if the switches are operated locally but I can manually poll successfully.
I am only able to set associations for the root device! If I associate group 3 to Homeseer then the log shows status updates when switch 1 is operated locally but the status of the device doesn’t update in Homeseer. There are no log entries if switch 2 is operated.
Manually polling works but setting an auto poll of say 10 seconds for the root device doesn’t do anything.
I have also tried associating groups 1 and 2 to Homeseer with no success.
Reading through this thread gave me the impression that some people have got the status updates to work. What am I doing wrong?
Steve
Henk_J

Post by Henk_J »

I don't think you are doing something wrong Steve. Fibaro switches and Homeseer are a no-go. Dimmers work well, even with status update.
SteveMSJ
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by SteveMSJ »

This is a real shame as, if the status updates would work with Homeseer, these switch modules would be ideal and at a reasonable price.
I hope it is a Homeseer problem, that may be resolved, rather than a problem with the modules themselves.
Steve
xanhoera

Post by xanhoera »

SteveMSJ wrote:This is a real shame as, if the status updates would work with Homeseer, these switch modules would be ideal and at a reasonable price.
I hope it is a Homeseer problem, that may be resolved, rather than a problem with the modules themselves.
Steve
I guess this workaround is feasible: http://www.domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.p ... =75#p51698 (?)

Anyway, it would be nice if someone actually could confirm there is a difference in update status behaviour between dimmer and binary switch.
Somewhere in this thread it has been confirmed that it now works? I probably misunderstood that statement:
http://www.domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.p ... =15#p51271

I believe Tane's original thread @ homeseer board mentioned binary switch as well: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.ph ... post986676
jrkalf

Post by jrkalf »

xanhoera wrote:
SteveMSJ wrote:This is a real shame as, if the status updates would work with Homeseer, these switch modules would be ideal and at a reasonable price.
Steve
I guess this workaround is feasible: http://www.domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.p ... =75#p51698 (?)

Anyway, it would be nice if someone actually could confirm there is a difference in update status behaviour between dimmer and binary switch.
Somewhere in this thread it has been confirmed that it now works? I probably misunderstood that statement:
http://www.domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.p ... =15#p51271

I believe Tane's original thread @ homeseer board mentioned binary switch as well: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.ph ... post986676
I can't say for Tane's results as I don't use homeseer but domotiga. I use open-zwave in domotiga and it does a poll every 30 seconds to see the status and works well, so there is status reporting. Or do you mean status updates as in "pushed" status updates from the switch towards the master controller?

SteveMSJ
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by SteveMSJ »

Yes it is pushed status updates that are not working with the Fibaro switches in Homeseer. It apparently works with the dimmer module but I don't have one of those. Manual polling works but setting an auto poll doesn't seem to work.
Steve
jrkalf

Post by jrkalf »

I haven't seen that happen either with the fibaro switch. Polling works great, but when I use a mono-stable switch to switch the fibaro it doesn't send an update towards the network automagically. I don't know if it's the fact that domotiga currently only supports basic zwave support and not the "advanced type" that seems to be necessary to switch multi_instance switches.

Return to “Z-Wave Forum”