Starting Member

Zwave and EthernetOverPower

Post by dekooning »

Hi all,

I have the following Z-Wave-setup:
-2x Fibaro dimmer;
-1x Fibaro double relay;
-4x Duwi 05437 ("Tussenstekker");
-1x Duwi 05439 ("Tussenstekker Dimmer").

I also have 4 Netgear XAV5591 Gigabit Powerline adapters for distributing my 120Mbps internetconnection throughout the house.

And now strange things happen:
-My network-speed drop to 60Mbps when the Fibaro's are live. (When I throw the circuitbreaker, network-speed is a full 120Mbps).
- The Duwi Tussenstekkers turn themselves off spontaneously. However in Homeseer they stay "on" and the led also is yellow.

Does anybody know of problems with combining so called powerplugs and zwave-devices?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Jasper
xanhoera

Re: Zwave and EthernetOverPower

Post by xanhoera »

It looks like your're not alone: http://zwaves.nl/viewtopic.php?f=19&p=414 (and looks like not only DUWI plugs have the problem)
Any X10 plugs in your setup as well?
menno26
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by menno26 »

That's funny, recently I bought the powerline adapters from Sweex.
I use these to connect my IP cam's to the home network. After a while I discovered that sometime the cam was loosing it's connection so I put a Duwi switch in between the socket and the powerline to give it a reset. But I quickly found out that this was nog possible. The powerline could not see the other ones in my house... It sometimes mattered if I reversed te polarity, N and L1 but the connection was very poor. The whole setup resulted in more problems than a solution.

I now removed the on/off switching function (Duwi) from the camera...

So, does this has something to do with the modulation freq of the powerline? Like the same technique is used in modulating X10 on the 220V. Or is there an oscillator in the powerline that is interfering with the zwave freq? I assume the problem must lay in this direction...
dekooning
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by dekooning »

UPDATE:
The Duwi's turned out to be defective. I RMA'ed them and the new ones don't turn on or off by themselves.

The problem with the Fibaro's and EthernetOverPowerline, however, remains.

It looks like the dimmers and the dual switch cause so much noise on the powerline that throughput is really slow. I used to have the full 500Mbps (sync) the XAV5501's can deliver. With the Fibaro's installed it more like 60....

I will try reversing polarity tonight, see if that makes any difference.

Also, will contact Fibaro customer service to check if this is a known problem.

Keep you posted!

Return to “Z-Wave Forum”