rebuilding a zwave network

Forum and Topics about Z-Wave devices.
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

rebuilding a zwave network

Post by Willem4ever »

Last year I attempted to move my primary zwave controller (aeon version 1) to a new controller (aeon version 2) after a few failing attempts I ended up with two secondary controllers (i guess something went wrong in the zwave protocol). The network has been stable for months now (not been adding any devices) but unable to make changes or to add new devices to the network. I've been emailing with aeon and basically there is no way to revert back to my previous state which leaves the only resolution and rebuild my zwave network. Obviously I don't want to re-enter all my zwave devices (34) and change events etc. So I'm looking for tips/ thoughts / feedback etc.

Step 1: is to re-learn all my devices on my new controller using a temporary homeseer system as a first step. This will leave me with my devices on the new controller with new node ID's.
Step 2: is to change the node id for my existing devices on my production system to the new node id.

This should leave my events etc. Would like to hear what you guys may have done to rebuild your networks. It is something I'm not looking forward to but I have to do it sooner or later.
AshaiRey

Re: rebuilding a zwave network

Post by AshaiRey »

Hi,
I am not familiar with z-wave tech so bare with me if i am saying something stupid here.
Isn't it possible to just add the new device and then use the re-route devices option found on the homeseer tools page to give them the old internal device id's so the events and such will keep working?
Bram
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

Not sure what you mean with the re-route devices option ....
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

A device in HomeSeer has a system generated ID. If you create a new device to replace and other then events won't work because they respond to the system id. Since the new device has a other internal ID events won't trigger. Not even if you name the device the same with all other setting indentical.
On the tools page in HomeSeer there is a page where you can rerout the internal ID of one device to an other device so you won't have to recreate the events.
Bram
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

Ahh, you mean the replace devices option. That just might work ... for ZWAVE you have a homeseer device code which are attached to a node id, I would expect when you assign the new new node id would solve my problem as well. Will run a few trials and see where it takes me.

Return to “Z-Wave Forum”