Washroom Ventilation

Forum and Topics about Z-Wave devices.
DrDoo

Washroom Ventilation

Post by DrDoo »

Hey Everyone,

I have a simple home aitomation setup.
Homeseer and some zwave modules, dimming, switching etc.

Im about to renovate a washroom. I can open a window. And have a direct pipe in the ceiling to the roof (already there).
Electricity already in place.

Im still pondering on whcih route to take.
1) Just buy a ventilation unit with hygrostaat (English?). Supposed to automatically switch on/off with specific humidity.
2) Or think of something to measure electricty consumption for my dryer, and on that base an event to switch on/off a standard ventilation unit with a timer to keep the ventilation unit run longer the the dryer is on for.

Still looking at the DUCO as well...but not sure if this can be controlled by homeseer.
(need a new central ventilation unit as well)

Gr
Michiel
Jeroen Bartels
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Washroom Ventilation

Post by Jeroen Bartels »

I use a hygrometer (oregon) in the bathroom to trigger my central ventilation system as well.
High humidity triggers a switch that turns my central ventilation to speed 3.
The perilex plug from the central ventilation has 5 wires. 3 of them are for the speed. Speed one, two and three.
Speed one is always on. Speed 3 is switched on by kaku switch. You can still keep speed one connected too.
You could trigger by humidity and/or temp.
Good luck.
**Jeroen**
DJF3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DJF3 »

Hi,

You can use humidity based ventilation with the chance that it:
- will also start ventilating when humidity is high
- kicks in too late if it starts only at high humidity

Power consumption (Plugwise module?) could be a good way to start the ventilation. You could have a timer to decide when to stop or use a humidity level to stop the ventilation.
START: based on power
STOP: based on humidity

About central ventilation: http://www.domoticaworld.com/projects/ventilation/

DJ
OWK

Post by OWK »

@ DrDoo

I did some some testing using humidity and found that on a 29c degree day humidity is higher than a 20c day. At the start I had set the 'On' and 'Off' humidity to 65%. But on a warm day that was met without using the shower.
Setting the On to 75% worked better on those warm days, but sometimes misses a shower and does not switch on. All depending on the location of your sensor. Close to the shower peaked 98%, so you need a wether resistant sensor...

Since the hot water pipe to the shower in our house is accessible at the boiler, seperated from the rest of the warm water pipes in the house, I'm now planning on attaching a temperature sensor to the hot water pipe that messures the water running to the shower. Still not sure what kind onf sensor that will be...

OWK
Domotiga
Cubietruck, Ubuntu server 1.0.2
RFXcom LAN, home brew ground plane antenna
KaKu
DrDoo

Post by DrDoo »

Thanks all for the suggestions.
I think i might go for a dual system.

1 based on power consumption and 1 based on humidity.
Might be a while....washing room still in renovation.

Things to do;
1) Buy RFXcom (For oregon Sensors)
2) Buy Powermeter (Probably zwave based since i don't have any plugwise at all yet)
3) Buy some Oregon Sensors
4) Buy a "Simple" ventilation unit for the washroom with just on/off (i switch it on/off through homeseer and event based for "timer" function)

Thanks again
Michiel
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

@ OWK
Since the hot water pipe to the shower in our house is accessible at the boiler, seperated from the rest of the warm water pipes in the house, I'm now planning on attaching a temperature sensor to the hot water pipe that messures the water running to the shower. Still not sure what kind onf sensor that will be...
I have the same situation here and i've used an old CV therrmostat like you put on the valve to automatic regulate the temperature. I disambled one of those and glued a micro switch to it that the tip of the thermostat will press the switch if it is pressd outwards by the themostat. The microswitch is connected to a DS90 which send the signal to HomeSeer. The thermostat itself is attach to the hot waterpipe with some ti-raps.
Bram
OWK

Post by OWK »

Thanks AshaiRey,

This tip from you makes this a great forum

OWK
Domotiga
Cubietruck, Ubuntu server 1.0.2
RFXcom LAN, home brew ground plane antenna
KaKu

Return to “Z-Wave Forum”