Trouble adding my Fibaro FGD211 to Vera 3

Forum and Topics about Z-Wave devices.
Cappinator
Starting Member
Starting Member

Trouble adding my Fibaro FGD211 to Vera 3

Post by Cappinator »

Hi, I'm very new to the forum and home automation. I ordered a Vera 3 and a few Fibaro FGD211 dimmer modules and tried to get started.
Without much success, sadly. Please, if someone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Please take a look at how I connected the Fibaro FGD 211. I'm pretty sure I did it right. (See attachment, sorry for the poor quality) I'm using a traditional flick switch (not sure what the technical term is).

L: Connected to power
N: Connected to light bulb
O: looped to N
SX: connected to one end of the switch
S1: connected to the other end of the switch

I tried connecting my Vera 3 by powering it on near the Fibaro, waiting for the Z-Wave led to turn solid green. I then pressed the Z-Wave button and the Z-Wave led started to blink slowly. I then pressed the B hidden switch on the Fibaro, but nothing happened. I tried several things: pressing it for more than 3 seconds (to reset it), pressing it again, pressing it a few times, waiting a long time...

I'm completely lost :)
Attachments
FGD211.JPG
FGD211.JPG (201.31 KiB) Viewed 9790 times
Akatar

Re: Trouble adding my Fibaro FGD211 to Vera 3

Post by Akatar »

Cappinator
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Cappinator »

No, I didn't try that. Would it make a difference?
Cappinator
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Cappinator »

How would I go about that?

I remove the loop between O and N, and add one between L and O?
Cappinator
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Cappinator »

Figured out for myself (looking at the schematic) that this wouldn't be correct.
I don't have a neutral wire to try the three wire connection, so that's not an option.
slarti
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by slarti »

It shouldn't need a 3-wire connection (Neutral wire instead of the loop from O). I have a vera3 and FGD-211 working nicely with a 2-wire setup. It's been a while since I set this up but IIRC inclusion is done by pressing the little button three times or pressing the switch three times.

Does the switch work locally? In other words, does the switch turn the connected load on/off?
Cappinator
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Cappinator »

Not sure. I can tell you that before I installed the dimmer, the switch sat between the wire coming from the fusebox (Load) and the wire going to the lamp (Neutral).
It's a traditional switch that interrupts the connection or re-establishes it. If you look at the attached photo, you can just see the label that's on the back of the switch.
slarti
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by slarti »

I mean does it work now as it is in the picture? There has to be a functioning load attached to the system for anything to work. Otherwise the module doesn't get power.

It's safer to stuff everything in the wall as it is in your picture, and use the switch to include the node to your vera 3 (S1 has the same functionality as the small button, you need to flick your light on/off three times). That way you don't go poking around the live wires. Once you get it included, remember to change parameter 14 on the FGD-211 to bi-stable if you don't plan on adding an impulse spring to your switch (making it a mono-stable switch).
Cappinator
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Cappinator »

Do you mean that, once the module is wired up and the circuit breaker is turned back on, the switch on S1 should work manually? Even if the module is not added to Vera?
If so, then no, the Switch does not work manually; it doesn't turn the light on.

I tried the include procedure by using the switch S1 as you described, by flicking it on off three times, but it didn't work.

I'm starting to think I got L and N mixed up. If so, could it have broken the module?
(The wire I assumed was N goes up in the wall toward the light fixture, while the wire I assumed was L goes down. However, in old houses, perhaps they did some fancy weird wiring...)
slarti
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by slarti »

Yes, it should work without vera. It's simply a dimmer you control locally with the switch or remotely via zwave.

I'm not quite sure how your wiring is done. Basically when you have two wires in the box those should be the live wire loop coming from the load and should both be going in the same direction. So no neutral wire should be present in the wall.

I'm not at all sure what's going on in your case. Maybe a better picture of both the wall and light boxes might help.
Cappinator
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Cappinator »

I'll try to take a better one tomorrow and post it. Thanks for all the help so far!
Cappinator
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Cappinator »

I finally got it to work.

Before taking a new picture I decided to reattach all wires and go over the whole set-up once more.
I must have connected something wrong, because now it's working.

Thanks a lot for your help so far, Slarti! :)

Now, to change parameter 14... I'm not sure how to do that.

Return to “Z-Wave Forum”