Where is your Aeon Z-stick?

Forum and Topics about Z-Wave devices.
AshaiRey

Re: Where is your Aeon Z-stick?

Post by AshaiRey »

I understand if you don't want to do this but you can cut the pcb trace of the antenna close to the capacitor and instead solder at that place a connecttor (50 Ohms cable connector) and buy or make yourself a cheap ground plane antenne which you hang at a location you like. It will probaly add to your TX/RD signal strenght too.

Example here @ conrad: google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=grou ... 4169,d.d2k
Btw, this is an omnidirectional antenna
Bram
Phaeton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Phaeton »

My external USB network hub died. I therefore attached my USB Aeon labs stick directly to the server (groundlevel). Did optimalisation by zseer for a couple of hours. Old problems are back! Bad connections with the top floors.

I'm thinking how to fix this... My options are:
1) Buy a new USB server, which i'm not really fond of. Not very reliable and another 'consumer' in my house.
2) Hack my stick and try to improve reach.

Since a homemade groundplane antenna did 'miracles' for my rfxcom, I really want to do option 2 and see of this improves range.

Ashiarey, thanks for the inspiration. Any extra tips? F.e. What size antenna to build?
groeten,
Harry
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

Phaeton wrote:Ashiarey, thanks for the inspiration. Any extra tips? F.e. What size antenna to build?
Antenna's for 868MHz are small in dimensions. The antenna mentioned in the link above is just 11x22 cm due to the high frequency. Making them larger isn't a option because they are tuned by lenght to this particular frequency. You can do a search on [Ground Plane Antenna calculator] for more information.
If you want to build one yourself with just a few pieces of (220V) copperwire then have a look here http://www.csgnetwork.com/antennagpcalc.html for the dimensions.
Bram

Return to “Z-Wave Forum”