Where is your Aeon Z-stick?

Forum and Topics about Z-Wave devices.
mrqnapper

Where is your Aeon Z-stick?

Post by mrqnapper »

Hi as you can see on the picture my Aeon-Z-stick is hanging out in the office not so nicely:).
It's connected through a 3 mtr long USB cable with a "Mac Mini" which is placed at the attic (along with a NAS, rfxcom LanTransceiver, Gigabit Shwich, Gigabit Wlan router).

Having the Z-stick like this is not really nice looking (for WAF reasons ) and is also not preferred for safety reasons as well (don't want to help burglars to much).
So I tried to get working with the stick straight into the MacMini placed at the attic. That's not working (might be because the RFXCOM and Wlan are to near?). Then I tried to move it a bit further away form the RFX and Wlan (also on the attic) did not help. Next I tried it with placing a spare z-wave Switch somewhere on the attic to improve the mesh network. Did not help a bit! Having it working with Homeseer I tried to optimise the network several times on a row but that did not help.
So, I ended up with a usb cable an dongle hanging out in the office (moving it closer to the wall or more against the roof, also meshes up the working).

So what did you do to have the Z-wave dongle working properly, without having it in a not so nice place like this?
Any ideas how to improve my set-up (preferably having it placed at the attic)?

Thanks.
Wiechert

My set-up: MacMini (Parallels VM, windows 7) HomeseerPro, RFXCOM Lan Transceiver, Aeon-labs Z Stick2
Phaeton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Phaeton »

I use a usb-network server. This way i could place the stick in the middle of my house in a nice looking way.

Not perfect, 98% stable (usb server needs restart when network goes down), but an improvement compared to my first solution. Which was simmilair to your solution ;-)
structor

Re: Where is your Aeon Z-stick?

Post by structor »

i have got it in the cabinet around the fusebox (aka de meterkast). It's near the wlan and the plugwise usb stick and working without a glitch.
@Phaeton: why do you have it in the middle of the house, z-wave is supposed to build up its own mesh...
Phaeton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Phaeton »

Bases on trial and error (homeseer has a nice tool to measure responce times) i decided to place it there.

Even though mesh works fine i noticed that the time to respons is better if i place it in the middle of my house. Especially for the 2nd floor.
mrqnapper

Post by mrqnapper »

Hi, Thanks for sharing your set-up. I still have the stick hanging out on the first floor as on the picture. Ideal would be having it on the attic which is just above this place. I have several z-wave devices nearby (one on the attic and few on the first floor, only 1 till 3 mtrs from the attic) so one might think the controller must be able to find the neighbours without any problem. But somehow it won't. Also as mentioned, at the place I have it hanging now (see picture), as I move it a bit up or more towards the wall, its also giving problems not reaching the devices.
On the other hand, I have a few devices downstairs and even further away outside in the garden, which are working very well (only from the place I use right now). Any other ideas or samples of solutions that helped improving the reach (from a similar spot?).

Thanks.
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

Try rotating the device in the X/Y and/or Z plane.
The used antenne is etched on the circuitboard and due to that not omnidirectional.
Bram
mrqnapper

Post by mrqnapper »

So which side is the best, the side with the blue light on it? I will give it a try after the Christmas. See if it helps.

Wiechert
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

My stick is hanging in the same way (sounds strange :twisted: ) on the attic, this way my server is not interfering with the signals. I have used a usb network server in the past but it has died on me. I needed to restart the application at least one time a day . But after some time stopped working completely. Now i`m connecting all transceivers directly

I only have on usb to com port converter which is having issues. This one is connected to my OpenTherm gateway and once in a while i need to restart HomeSeer. (made an event for that :D ) In the past i borrowed a converter from which did not seem to have this issue. So i think it is prolific chipset related (old converter is use now) and need to find another one. Or make the gateway ethernet based
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

mrqnapper wrote:So which side is the best, the side with the blue light on it? I will give it a try after the Christmas. See if it helps.

Wiechert
Can't say that. It depends on the configuration of the walls in your house, location od iron in the walls/floor, the angle at wish the signal will travel trough the wall as that will make the wal 3-6 timies thicker, location of the receivers, reflection materials around and inside the house. To say it creudly so you have some idea here. The antenna is almost certain etched on the pcb and the pcb is flat in the casing. The radiation patron looks like a flower with short leaves and only 2 long leaves. These long leaves are mostly positioned above and below the pcb going at a 90 degree angle outward. Please google at [ antenna 868 mhz usb radiation patterns } to see some examples.
(Sry, i got motion sickness at the moment so i only have a few minutes screen time before througing up again.) :?
Bram
mhn

Post by mhn »

I am a nerd, hence i had to see, how it looked inside a couple of years ago. :-)
stick1.jpg
stick1.jpg (30.01 KiB) Viewed 11726 times
stick2.jpg
stick2.jpg (24.93 KiB) Viewed 11726 times
Regards
Morten
mrqnapper

Post by mrqnapper »

@morten Great, what's the yellow thing. Did you attach it or is it also inside the stick? :)
wwolkers

Post by wwolkers »

mrqnapper wrote:@morten Great, what's the yellow thing. Did you attach it or is it also inside the stick? :)
Battery. The stick is also usable when it's not plugged into the USB port.
mhn

Post by mhn »

Yes a battery, and it is right at the opposite side of the Z-Wave module. Hence I don't think the led/button side of the stick is the good side. :-|
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

stick1.jpg
stick1.jpg (56.42 KiB) Viewed 11690 times
According to me and as far as i can see it on your image the red line is the antenna
Bram
mhn

Post by mhn »

You are right, I think.

Over exposed image. :-)
lille.jpg
lille.jpg (43.22 KiB) Viewed 11684 times

Return to “Z-Wave Forum”