Can the key-input of a device i.e. dimmer be "forwarded"

Forum and Topics about Z-Wave devices.
CarstenDK
Starting Member
Starting Member

Can the key-input of a device i.e. dimmer be "forwarded"

Post by CarstenDK »

Ladies and Gentlemen.

Do you know of a device that can both act as a receiver with switching on/off or dimming AND a transmitter for a local key-input ?

Scenario

- I want to switch on/off a local light by pressing the local switch as well as a remote light.

Looking forward to your input :)

Carsten
jwspuij
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Can the key-input of a device i.e. dimmer be "forwarded"

Post by jwspuij »

This is called association and is supported by just about any Z-Wave dimmer or switch, either on the primary button that also switches the local load, or a secondary dedicated input button that supports it...
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

However you wil always be switching local load as wel. If you only want a button without load you can look in to this one(Dutch)
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
CarstenDK
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by CarstenDK »

Thank you for replying :)

I want to avoid having a battery powered device in a location where I have power available.

It looks like I will have to have a dimmer/switch i.e. Merten or Fibaro module in both local location as well as in the remote location and then put a Transmitter in the local location as well, i.e. the "Merten MEG5016-0002 Funk-Sender UP CONNECT 230V 2fach" is not battery powered. I believe this will do the job.
- I can then use the local switch to control the remote location only (and a remote switch to control the local dimmer only if I so desire)
- I will have no batterypowered devices

It just seems strange to me that no one else has a need for the above scenario i.e. local switch to remote device and remote switch to local device without the two interacting

Carsten
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

You can also use a fibaro module as sender so you don`t need the Funk

- One fibaro switch module with actual load (2 x 1kw) load1=used load2=free and both switches attached)
- One fibaro switch module without load but associated to the first module

The dimmer module is not available in dual load mode (2 x 500w) so in that case you will need to use a powered sender like the funk. When using a (2x 1kw) u can use the first button for the load and if i`m right you can use the second button to control the far away module (did not tested this yet)

This will be my setup when i have the fundings for an aditional Fibaro module (Duwi Switch module is also possible, the dimmer module not because it needs a load to power itself)

I have one setup in my bathroom which uses my Domotica Controller (HomeSeer). When i switch on my first load on the (2x 1kw) by hand HomeSeer will see this and switches on the second load on that module (this load does not have a local switch) and when i switch off vice versa. When i open the door of the bathroom the door sensor will notify HomeSeer and HomeSeer switches on the load2 of the module, when the door is closed again HomeSeer will switch of load2 after several seconds. We use this as a night light.
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
CarstenDK
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by CarstenDK »

Thank you. Now we are moving :D

I see my initial post was not actually expressing what I wanted to achieve.

Investigating further, it also looks like the "TBK TZ66D Z-Wave Switch" can do the job. From the website "The left paddle controls the local load while the right paddle remotely controls Z-Wave associated devices only" www.tkbhome.com/?cn-p-d-111.html

Using two of these would then mean that the right key of "A" can be associated with device "B" and vice versa - Just like the Fibaro scenario you describe.

Return to “Z-Wave Forum”