Danfoss Living Connect

Forum and Topics about Z-Wave devices.
raymonvdm

Danfoss Living Connect

Post by raymonvdm »

I bought a Danfoss living connect to test this with HS3, but did not succeed yet, the box is telling me that it i a "Danfoss Living Connect 014G0002"

But google tells me the following https://community.zipato.com/responses/ ... compatible

It is possible to associate the unit with my Z-Wave stick and HS2/HS3 are seeing a Z-Wave thermostat. Should it work or do i still need to replace it with a 014G00012 :?
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
martynwendon
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Danfoss Living Connect

Post by martynwendon »

Hello,

Unfortunately Danfoss made a mess in 2012 by removing the Z-Wave functionality from the current range and making that range then support *only* their own controller.

They then added a new model 014G0012 that has Z-Wave functionality.

So for the previous model number, it depends on the firmware > 3.02 doesn't work with Z-Wave.

New Z-Wave model number is 014G0012.

Hope that helps!
Martyn Wendon
Vesternet
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

It only acknowledge my suspicions of having the wrong unit, it is indeed version 3.02
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

I`m still in the process of changing my "Radiator Knobs" Is there anyone who actual uses the Danfoss vendor. Do you only use the Knobs or also wall sensor or anything else?
martynwendon
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by martynwendon »

raymonvdm wrote:I`m still in the process of changing my "Radiator Knobs" Is there anyone who actual uses the Danfoss vendor. Do you only use the Knobs or also wall sensor or anything else?
There's really only two choices for Z-Wave TRVs at the moment:

Danfoss - nice looking, local display and control. You can change the set-point via Z-Wave. It doesn't report the local temperature back to the Z-Wave network. It has it's own internal logic / smarts - so e.g. you change the set-point and it will slooooooowly adjust itself using it's own logic until the temperature measured locally meets the set-point.

StellaZ - ugly, no local display or control. Can operate in a variety of modes, including "normal" where you can adjust the set-point via Z-Wave and "direct" where you can actually manually adjust the valve opening percentage via Z-Wave. It reports the local temperature back to the Z-Wave network. It reacts quickly (depending on the wake-up time) to changes to the set-point.

Both of them suffer from the fact that they only measure the temperature locally - right next to the radiator, which might not reflect the current temperature in the room.

I currently have an FS20 based system, but will be upgrading it to Z-Wave this year. I'm probably going to go the route of the StellaZ in direct mode and carry out all my own logic to control the water flow. And I'll probably look at using the Z-Wave Secure Thermostats for local room temperature reporting and set-point control.

Hope that helps!
Martyn Wendon
Vesternet
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

olof

Post by olof »

I have been wanting to get Z-wave TRV's for our house, but I'm still confused about 1 particular issue.

Do I understand correctly that the success of any such wireless TRV's (z-wave or otherwise) are still dependent on the boiler ('ketel') being turned on?

So, for example, if I decide that my bedroom needs more heat I can instruct the bedroom TRV to open the valve and let warm water into that radiator. But, that the temperature in that room will only go up if at that particular time the boiler is also turned on/fired up?

Or is each individual TRV able to communicate instructions to the boiler to fire up? If not, how do you guys solve this?

Thanks in advance for any tip, I'm really confused on this matter

Regards,
Olof
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

I think you should use software / a event for this.

When you use the complete Danfoss (closed) system the controller wil fireup the boiler when one of the knobs has a heating demand. If you use z-wave you should create this yourself as far as i can tell. I will use my OpenThermGateway for that.
martynwendon
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by martynwendon »

Yes, you'd use something like a Z-Wave Secure Boiler Receiver to control / interlock the boiler.

So your controller (Vera, HomeSeer, Zipato, etc) would handle all the logic - if the set-point for a room hasn't been reached, then fire up the boiler until the set-point has been reached. With the StellaZ in direct mode, you'd have feedback of how much the valve is open, what the local temperature is, etc. So you could get creative with the logic, for example if the current temperature is 17degC and you want it to be 22degC, open the valve fullly 100%, as the temperature reaches 20degC, back the valve off to 45%, as it approaches 21degC, close the valve to 10%, etc.

It should be possible to create a pretty comprehensive control system in this way.
Martyn Wendon
Vesternet
SteveMSJ
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by SteveMSJ »

Has anyone tried the Stella with HS2 or HS3?
Steve
olof

Post by olof »

Raymond & Marty,

Thanks for the insightful information.

I guess I now have to dig into all the Opentherm discussions on the forum to figure out to control my old Nefit boiler (using Easy Connect or whatever) from Homeseer 2. I have stayed away from those dicussions because it involves to much techie programming stuff. Not my thing...

Sigh, I wish I could just buy some type of box/gadget that would just simply work with Homeseer + boiler without all the techie hassle.....

Thanks again!
Olof
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

olof

Post by olof »

Hi Raymond,
Interesting device! Just that I understand this thing's functioning correctly; it does the same as the Easy Connect from Nefit?
Meaning:
input = Opentherm protocol.. Input = from thermostat and/or Homeseer and/or mobile apps
Output = Nefit prototocol? Output = to boiler ('ketel')

thanks!
Olof
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

Yep
roel_v
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by roel_v »

olof wrote:Interesting device! Just that I understand this thing's functioning correctly; it does the same as the Easy Connect from Nefit?
Meaning:
input = Opentherm protocol.. Input = from thermostat and/or Homeseer and/or mobile apps
Output = Nefit prototocol? Output = to boiler ('ketel')
Careful though - the Easy Connect will only work on newer heaters. More specifically, the Ecomline (which I have, and which is a very popular model) won't be supported.

Personally I will try to solve this by using an EMS tool developed on a German forum and hook it up to a PC, which will modulate the heat depending on heat demand. I'm not sure it's going to work, though. Then again, the Nefit heaters have an on/off contact which can easily be controlled from the outside, it's just that the efficiency will go down. From what I understand, modulation doesn't increase efficiency all that much anyway (at least not compared to the savings from actually turning it off).

Also, new Stella thermostats will come out at the end of the year (2014). This one will have an LCD display and buttons on the unit itself, a big plus for me. Obviously since it isn't released yet and I expect they don't even have final prototypes yet, nobody knows how compatible they will be, what their battery use will be etc.

Return to “Z-Wave Forum”