Rolling shutters (Somfy RTS or LT)?

Forum and Topics about Z-Wave devices.
EAC
Starting Member
Starting Member

Rolling shutters (Somfy RTS or LT)?

Post by EAC »

Hi all,

I’m getting rolling shutters installed, due to 4 breakings in about 3 months. Because of this it needs to be done as soon as possible.
I’m still looking into what controller to get (Homeseer or Fibaro HC2) and don’t want to rush that decision. So I’m looking for a way to control the shutters with a remote control for now. But in a way that it can be integrated into my set up later on. In both situations the remote should be able to work standalone.

I see 3 options:
- Get Somfy RTS
- Get Somfy LT (without wired switches) and for example a Fibaro Rollershutter 2 in combination with a Z-Wave Remote Controller
(like remotec zrc-100)
- Get Somfy LT (with wired switches) and figure it out later.

My preference is to have no wired switches installed. So I would only consider the wired switches as an option when the shutters can’t be controlled standalone in all situations.

As far as I can tell, the Somfy RTS needs a Somfy TaHomA or homewziard to be able to communicate with Z-Wave. This makes it an expensive and more complex set up.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Some questions I have are:
- Is RTS the only way to have standalone remote?
- Are there other ways to make the RTS communicate with Z-wave?
- Is the Somfy LT and Z-wave combination possible?
- Is the Somfy LT without switch possible?
- If so, what would be good hardware?

Thanks!
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Rolling shutters (Somfy RTS or LT)?

Post by Rene »

I use a 4 channel rts remote to control each shutter individually and the group channel to control them all together. I bought a second hand single channel remote, configured the group channel, and connected it to an IP Power. This way I can close and open all shutters at once from within my software.
Rene.
bartbakels
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by bartbakels »

Just keep in mind the roller shutter v1 fibaro module needs physical stop switches in the motor. And v2 does not support positioning in homeseer 2 or 3 yet

Bart
Software: HS3, HStouch, Plugwise , BLBackup, BLLatestImage, Zwave, JowiHUE, PHlocation, Netcam, Harmony Plugin, ThinkingCleaner, HSPhone, Eneco Toon Script, Pushover, Visonic Powermax LV Interface

(ON ESXI )on NUC
EAC
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by EAC »

Thx for your replies!

@Rene:
Correct me if I’m wrong but the set up you describe is kind of similar to the set up with the Somfy RTS. An interface is needed to make that work. Which leads to a more expensive and complex set up.

@Bart:
I know that the roller shutter v1 needs a physical stop. This shouldn’t be a problem if I go for the Somfy LT. What I understand from the dealer, is that the remote controlled version is electrical and the version with switch(LT) is physical. I have also seen that the roller shutter v1 doesn’t work standalone. I couldn’t figure this out for the roller shutter v2. Do you happen to know this?

You say that v2 does not support positioning in homeseer 2 or 3 yet. Is there any indication if / when this will be supported?
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

I think you can use the RTS box

http://link.marktplaats.nl/777412830
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
bartbakels
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by bartbakels »

Hi i dont understand your question what do you mean by standalone? Both roller shutter modules operate as a roller shutter switch. The difference is the way how they detect that the roller shutter reach its limits.

Regarding the v2 module. I have an open bug entry regarding this issue. Now it comes.... It seems that not all fibaro modules are zwave certified and some modules have some bugs in the firmware such as the association group 3 issue with fibaro devices. It seems for example that on a request how many nodes can join group 3 the fibaro units reply with 0.

That said. Homeseer 3 will be able to update firmware of zwave modules in the future and this will probably also enable the positioning function in hs3 for the v2 module.

Regards bart
Software: HS3, HStouch, Plugwise , BLBackup, BLLatestImage, Zwave, JowiHUE, PHlocation, Netcam, Harmony Plugin, ThinkingCleaner, HSPhone, Eneco Toon Script, Pushover, Visonic Powermax LV Interface

(ON ESXI )on NUC
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

I see my own pictures pop up everywhere.. how lazy can you get :wink:
http://blog.hekkers.net/2012/03/01/cont ... -shutters/
EAC
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by EAC »

Bart, what I mean with standalone is that it’s possible to use a Z-Wave Remote Controller (remotec zrc-100 for example) to control the shutters until I get a controller (like Homeseer or Fibaro HC2) or in the future when the controller is down for example. The remote itself should be enough to control the shutters.

On this site (http://www.smartronix.nl/Webwinkel-Prod ... utter.html) they state that a controller like Fibaro Home Center 2 or Vera2 for example is always needed to control the V1 module. The same site doesn’t state that for the V2 module.

Today I ordered the shutters with LT motor (going on holiday didn’t want to delay installation any longer). This means that the RTS option is of the table. And because the LT has physical stop switches both modules (V1 and 2) are still possible.
roel_v
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by roel_v »

What many people have done (but it's too late for you now) is to open up the remote, solder a regular zwave switch to the contacts, then send 'close' commands to activate the buttons. I don't know if you can associate two remotes with one RTS receiver (although I don't see why not), that way you can have a remote *and* control through zwave.

Return to “Z-Wave Forum”