Raspbian Gparted partition size not getting bigger

All about Arduino, Jeenode and other Clones (hardware & Software)

Moderator: Mdamen

witteherder
Starting Member
Starting Member

Raspbian Gparted partition size not getting bigger

Post by witteherder »

According to this manual makerspace-uk.co.uk/setting-diy-pi-desk ... sktop-kit/

I came to the following step:
From this it can be seen that the copied file system only uses a fraction of the SSD, leaving the major proportion of the device unallocated. In order to use this space, all we needed to do was to resize the ext4 partition to make use of this unallocated space on the SSD. This is done using gparted, by selecting the ext4 partition, selecting ‘Partition’, ‘Resize/Move Partition’, then resizing the ext4 partition to use all the unallocated space on the SSD.
Gparted 1
Gparted 1
Gparted1.JPG (66.19 KiB) Viewed 15805 times
Then I got this
Gparted 2
Gparted 2
Gparted2.JPG (78.29 KiB) Viewed 15805 times
I can't resize in bigger with the 436.04 extra gb which is free

What do I wrong?
I m doing it directly from Raspbian itself
Toon 2 Rooted User
Firmware version: 5.94.7
Raspberry Pi 3B+
Domoticz 2022.1
10 Neo Coolcam PowerPlus
Domotica Beginner (need little help in beginning)
hvxl

Re: Raspbian Gparted partition size not getting bigger

Post by hvxl »

The /dev/sda7 partition is inside extended partition /dev/sda2. The unused 436.04 GB is outside the extended partition. So you first have to resize /dev/sda2, thus effectively moving free space into the extended partition. Then you should be able to resize /dev/sda7.
Schelte
witteherder
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by witteherder »

hvxl wrote:The /dev/sda7 partition is inside extended partition /dev/sda2. The unused 436.04 GB is outside the extended partition. So you first have to resize /dev/sda2, thus effectively moving free space into the extended partition. Then you should be able to resize /dev/sda7.
Only how to do because at the right tab I dont have the options for resize /dev/sda2
Gparted 3
Gparted 3
Gparted3.JPG (44.72 KiB) Viewed 15759 times
Toon 2 Rooted User
Firmware version: 5.94.7
Raspberry Pi 3B+
Domoticz 2022.1
10 Neo Coolcam PowerPlus
Domotica Beginner (need little help in beginning)
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

I can just about make out a key icon on /dev/sda2 in your latest screen shot. That wasn't there on your initial screen shot. It means that some partition inside the extended partition is mounted now. I can't say which one because you hid that under the popup menu. It will also have a key symbol next to it. You will have to unmount all mounted partitions inside /dev/sda2. Then you can resize /dev/sda2 and subsequently /dev/sda7.

If you have already continued the procedure and rebooted the system, you may now be running with your root partition on the SSD. Then you won't be able to unmount /dev/sda7 anymore. If you are using a Raspberry Pi 3A+ or 3B+ you can just start over.

On a Raspberry Pi 3A or 3B, getting to this situation required a change to the OTP, which cannot be undone. As the name implies, it is only one-time programmable. In that case you will have to use a system rescue USB drive. Depending on which USB device the Pi decides to boot from, you may even have to plug both devices into another system (laptop, desktop) to be able to resize the SSD. Once that's done, you can plug the SSD back into your Pi.

So hopefully you are doing this on a 3B+.
Schelte
erem
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by erem »

you can still boot the rpi from an sd card, as that is always checked forst, even after the change to boot from usb.

once booted from sd, connect the drive and gparted to your hearts content.

Return to “Raspberry, Arduino, Cubietruck and other clones Forum”