Moderator: jrkalf

claus
Starting Member
Starting Member

Cube Reset

Post by claus »

Hello again All,

I don't know if anyone is still using Max! system but it is worth asking:

How can I reboot the cube from telnet or some other software? Reset I know how to do but I don't want it to loose the settings so I need a reboot.

The reason I need this is that the cube is installed in a place that makes switching the power on/off a bit complicated and my cube is losing connection to a wall thermostat or a radiator valve every day almost.

I have on the cube now 8 wall thermostats and 17 radiator valves.

Also o a side note, does anyone use the Cube with OpenHab? If yes could you please make a sort of tutorial for noobs? I tried for some days but in vain..

Thank you
pbrand

Re: Cube Reset

Post by pbrand »

Are you running the 1.4.1 firmware on the Cube? Because it should not lose the connection that frequently.

These problems are well known in older firmwares but the latest firmware seems to be much more stable (although it still happens occasionally but more like every few months than every day).

I don't know if there is a tellnet interface for the cube. The cube itself can be accessed through TCP but I have not found a reset message which can be send to the cube using the TCP interface'.

Concerning OpenHAB and the Cube I can´t help you there. I do run OpenHAB successfully but I don´t use the Cube binding for it. Instead I use the MQTT protocol for communication (so I´m not dependent on any software like OpenHAB to have my Cube operating).

Regards,
Peter
claus
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by claus »

Hi,

I run the 1.4.1 yes. It might have to do with the way the house is build - reinforced concrete and thick brick walls even if sometimes it loses connection to a wall thermostat in the same room where the cube is installed. Weird.

There is telnet for the cube I'm sure. For example if you telnet on the default port and give the command a: \ r \ n and then q: \ r \ n it will reset the cube to factory settings. I tried it and it works. Too bad I was hoping it would do a reboot :(

Regards,
Claus
pbrand

Post by pbrand »

Okay, your telnet session seems the same as what I mean by tcp access.

I have not yet found a command to reboot the Cube using this interface.

My problems are very limited here, but when they increase I will perhaps try to put the 230v power connector in a ZWave device which I can then switch off and on again every night. It will effectively be the same as a reboot I think :)
claus
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by claus »

That is a good ideea. I should start looking for a device to do that.

One other weird thing that my system is doing is applying wrong temperature settings. For example living is set at 22 C between 10pm and 0:00 but it goes to 22.5 C. I press the auto button and it goes on 22. 1-2 minutes later it switches back to 22.5 :shock:

Regards,

Claudiu
pbrand

Post by pbrand »

I have this quirck in my system too, Claudiu.

But in my case it's not a big deal because I run a service which uses google calendar as my heating schedule. So when occasionally a thermostat sets itself to the wrong temperature it is automatically corrected by my service which forces the temperature in the google calendar upon the thermostat :)

Regards,
Peter
claus
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by claus »

Hi Peter

Happy New Year !

What you said sounds very interesting to me. Can you please elaborate on that google calendar stuff please (like for a noob who still uses max! software) ? I'd like to find a way to force those thermostats into the right setting.. Last night i woke up on 14.5 Celsius in my room :(

Regards,

Claudiu
pbrand

Post by pbrand »

Hi Claudiu,

I'm sorry but I don't think this is for noobs :mrgreen:

What I have done is written a (windows) service that reads a google calendar in which I have set a heating schedule for my house. So I have appointments in my calendar where location is the name of the room and the title is the wanted temperature. That way I have the means to set the thermostat temperature in a room based on a schedule.

Since the service periodically checks if the thermostat has the correct setting, it will correct it when it deviates from it. So when a max thermostat thinks it want to change the temperature all by itself, my service will correct it after a minute or so :D
claus
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by claus »

Well the explanation was spot on :)

What are you using to send commands to the thermostats?

Regards,

Claudiu
pbrand

Post by pbrand »

I have written another windows service which interfaces with the Cube using the TCP (telnet) interface as described in the topic ELV MAX! protocol description on this forum and also in my own blog.

This service uses an MQTT broker (mosquito in my case) to communicate with other software.

In practice this means that I can 'talk' to the MAX! cube using MQTT messages on my LAN
claus
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by claus »

Damn it must be so good to know how to write code. I don't :(

So i guess I'm stuck with the default Max! software or can you think of another way i can control the cube ? Something more elaborate which can also do an interval check on all the settings and resend the corrected ones if something gets out of line ?

thank you

Claudiu
pbrand

Post by pbrand »

You can use my software if you want to. It's not something which I intend to keep secret. But installing and setup is not entirely for NOOBS I think :lol:

Another direction you could try is OpenHAB. It's open source, free and has a binding for MAX! I found it fairly simple to configure OpenHAB (and there's a google mail list/site for some support) but don't know how NOOB OpenHAB is :D

And as you can see in this forum, there are also people who have written MAX! support scripts for Homeseer. But since I'm using OpenHAB I don't know how elaborate that support is.
claus
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by claus »

Yes Peter :)

I'd love to use your stuff:) guess i'll have the best support possible :)

Regards,

Claudiu
pbrand

Post by pbrand »

To be sure: I use a couple of windows services which run continuously. So you have to have a windows server (or desktop) which is on 24/7. So make sure you have that available :)

Also I don't think my software is monkey or entirely NOOB proof and I have limited time to guide you (should not be a problem if you have a fair knowledge of windows etc) :D

If you still want to continue :lol: send me a PM with your email address or contact me through my site (see my blog and signature).

P.S. It could also be that you have already mailed me through my site about a year ago. I see a mail from (a) Claudiu in my archive :o
claus
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by claus »

I do have a surveillance Win7 PC that runs 24/7 and i would say i'm an above average Windows user. Hope i'm up for the task :)

And yes, that email is mine :)

Regards,

Claudiu

Return to “Homematic, FS20, FHT, ESA and ELV”