Forum about the home automation suites by ELV etc

Moderator: jrkalf

claus
Starting Member
Starting Member

ELV Max! record Actual room temps in a graph

Post by claus »

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum so please don't jump on me :)
I recently bought some eQ-3 TRV's, room thermostats and a cube.

What I'm looking for is some way to record Actual room temps in a graph form or other easy manageable form. Max buddy is in German and I have zero german knowledge - apart from frau and some other stuff :p, fhem seems very complicated for a noob like me, but I see many of you guys are actually using some sort of programs that do what I want. I searched the forums but could not find anything...

So please if it is possible point me in the right direction to a download link or something :)

Best Regards,

Claudiu
Vullf
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: ELV Max! record Actual room temps in a graph

Post by Vullf »

Could use some help here too.
I need to record the actual temp and the set temp with a php(preferable) script.
I got the database in place, just can't seem to figure how to make the script.
Massi

Post by Massi »

read L entry
look for the wall thermostat data
find set temp and actual temp values
you have all :)

for specific byte, look to the 3d regarding the max protocol reverse engineering..
claus
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by claus »

Hi Massi,

By the looks of it you already have some program that does that. Is it possible to share it please ?

Regards,
Claudiu
Vullf
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Vullf »

Massi wrote:
Vullf wrote:Could use some help here too.
I need to record the actual temp and the set temp with a php(preferable) script.
I got the database in place, just can't seem to figure how to make the script.
read L entry
look for the wall thermostat data
find set temp and actual temp values
you have all :)

for specific byte, look to the 3d regarding the max protocol reverse engineering..
Hi thanks for the response.
As far as i can read on the web, it's only possible to read the actual temp if you have a wall thermostat.
Is that corret?
Massi

Post by Massi »

Vullf wrote:As far as i can read on the web, it's only possible to read the actual temp if you have a wall thermostat.
Is that corret?
i can confirm you the possibility to fetch real current temp from wall thermostat
this is how i'm using my wall thermostats..
and as you said, it seems that actual temp in radiator thermostat is not "real", meaning that it's not updated very often.
But i have to admin that i did not look inside the radiator thermostat data..
claus
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by claus »

I'm at a total loss here :(

Is there no easy way for non-gifted ones to get the data ?
I mean I read tens of posts on how to get data from the cube, tried telnet to port 62910 but my cube doesn't give any response...it just replies with "Could not open connection to the host"..

Can someone please explain the whole process in 1,2,3, points please? Starting form how to connect to the cube and so forth. I found my cube's IP address, bind it to the mac address in the router's setting so that it always gets the same ip , but from there on I have no clue on what to do.

I know it is a lot to ask due to that fact that it will take some time/patience for someone to explain the whole process in detail but I think it will be a great benefit for a lot of people.

On a side note, I have a question about the max! iphone app and the max! portal. Does one needs to open some ports in the router to be able to use the phone app? As it does seem to work very very slowly... I see the data from hours ago, no real time data

Regards,
Claudiu
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Do you have some other ELV MAX-related software running somewhere while you're trying to connect?
Cause that would be one of the most common things that can result in what you're describing.

Explaining in 3 points is not doable, especially the 'and so forth' part. Cause the minute you have a working connection to the Cube, you'll need software.
And since you're telnetting to the Cube, I assume you want to develop your own software - cause I don't see any reason why you would do that for another reason.
Is developing software also part of the 'and so forth'? Oh my... yes, that's a lot to ask. Too much, if you ask me.

This forum has protocol documentation (although not totally up-to-date anymore but enough to get you going)
There's a Homeseer script for the ELV MAX here
There's OS software that support ELV MAX
I recently posted my own ELV MAX! code here

You can learn a lot from those sources. And if that ain't enough for you to get started, my advice would be to drop the whole issue.
But maybe I misunderstood what you were trying to say..?
claus
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by claus »

Thank you for the answer Digit.

Yes it was some other application running. After stopping that, telnet-ing to the cube gives back a ton of information. Not that I know what to do with it..

I did specify I have no skills in developing software, so I have no idea how to build my own application.
My final goal is to record Actual vs Set Temperatures in each room.

I thought that someone would have some application that can automatically decode the telnet data and plot it.

Good News is that I found the first part, the decoding part :) I installed Max!Buddy latest beta and it can decode and export all the data to a file every 5 mins which is great. From there I can manually import the file into excel and make some graphs. So more then half of what I was looking for is done. All that remains is to find some application that will import that file and plot the data automatically.

Best Regards,
Claudiu
claus
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by claus »

I made some progress on the second part also. I made an Excel file with VB scripts that automatically upon opening reads the data from the MaxBuddy export file and plots some graphs :) No user imput required:)
Here is a pic of the result.
Massi

Post by Massi »

claus wrote:I made some progress on the second part also. I made an Excel file with VB scripts that automatically upon opening reads the data from the MaxBuddy export file and plots some graphs :) No user imput required:)
Here is a pic of the result.
you did 30, maybe you can do 31 :)
i think that adding to the graph the valve aperture info can give you a lot of informations regarding how the system manages your temperature.
Something like this..

claus
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by claus »

Good suggestion Massi :)

Done.

I know the excel way is not the nicest way to do this but that's all I know.. At least it's fully automatic :)

Return to “Homematic, FS20, FHT, ESA and ELV”