Forum about the home automation suites by ELV etc

Moderator: jrkalf

domocone
Starting Member
Starting Member

ELV MAX! : Wall thermostat and Cube

Post by domocone »

Dear ELV MAX! users,

I am planning to buy this sistem and I have one simple question.

Is it possible to set the room temperature using the wall thermostat when the system is integrated with the Cube?

The reason I am asking this is because I found the following in the FAQ section on eq-3 website:
Warum kann ich in Verbindung mit dem MAX! Cube keine Konfiguration mehr am MAX! Wandthermostat vornehmen?
In Verbindung mit einem MAX! Cube im System werden alle Konfigurationsfunktionen an diesen übergeben. Eine Einstellung an den Geräten über den MAX! Wandthermostat wird unterbunden, um im System einheitliche Daten sicherzustellen. In der Software können Sie aber wie gewohnt die Einstellungen der Geräte vornehmen.

Google translate:
Why can not I in conjunction with the MAX! Cube no configuration at the MAX! Make wall thermostat?
In conjunction with a MAX? Cube in the system passed all configuration functions at those. An adjustment to the equipment above the MAX! Wall thermostat is prevented to ensure consistent data in the system. In the software you can but as usual make the settings of the devices.

I hope that this is only valid for configuration and not setting the temperature?

Thank you very much for your answer.

Kind Regards,
Massi

Re: ELV MAX! : Wall thermostat and Cube

Post by Massi »

You can set the temperatur on the wall thermostat even in a cube environment.
More than this, you can set the temperature even on the radiator thermostat when under a wall thermostat in a cube environment
So basically you can click where you want :)
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rene »

I can confirm this!
Rene.
claus
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by claus »

I have radiator thermostats, wall thermostats and the cube. You can set the temperature in a room through the wall thermostat no problem. I have a guest room which I don't usually heat at night, but when I get guests I can up the temp from the wall thermostat.

However... there seems to be a bug/function that is very annoying: Lets say the weekly program is that from 9 pm the room goes to 18 degrees and from 7 am to 22. At 9:30 pm lets say I go in the room and up the temp from the wall thermostat to 23 degrees. The radiator starts to heat, everything is working smooth but at 12:00 pm it switches back to the weekly program to 18 degrees and the people sleeping in there get very cold... I guess it is because the way the weekly program is set up in the max! interface.. 12:00 pm being a set point where auto takes over ?!

Did anybody experienced this ? It is frustrating and I'd like very much to find a way to get around this...

Regards,

Claudiu
pbrand

Post by pbrand »

The FAQ is correct in that it states that you can't configure devices which are linked to the Cube. So you can't change the weekly program etc.

You can however, operate a device. So you can adjust the temperature, switch from auto to manual etc.
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rene »

@claus: This is because you set a temporary override of the temperature and 0:00 is indeed a default schedule switch. You can overcome this by setting a permanent override by selecting the vacaction mode, set the desired temperature and date and time to fallback to the automatic schedule again.
Rene.
claus
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by claus »

Hmm that's a lot of buttons to press .. and for a guest that doesn't know how it works it will be a pain. I don't like the 0:00 default schedule switch. I'd wish it kept the keyed in temp until you press the auto mode again. Would make more sense that way.

Regards

Claudiu
Massi

Post by Massi »

Rene wrote:@claus: This is because you set a temporary override of the temperature and 0:00 is indeed a default schedule switch. You can overcome this by setting a permanent override by selecting the vacaction mode, set the desired temperature and date and time to fallback to the automatic schedule again.
+1
and i have to say that the way the system works is fine, it's not a "bug/function that is very annoying"
I'd miss this function..
pbrand

Post by pbrand »

claus wrote:Hmm that's a lot of buttons to press .. and for a guest that doesn't know how it works it will be a pain. I don't like the 0:00 default schedule switch. I'd wish it kept the keyed in temp until you press the auto mode again. Would make more sense that way.

Regards

Claudiu
If you want a permanent change, then why don't you select manual mode on the thermostat? The thermostat will then remain at the selected temperature setting, until you change the mode back to auto again.

That's not too many button presses I guess :mrgreen:
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rene »

@pbrand: You are absolutely right. Why did I make it so difficult? Overriding while in auto mode is temporary until the next schedule switch, overriding in manual mode is permanent.
Rene.
claus
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by claus »

Gaaah I have completely forgot about the manual mode :) Going all out on automation I just missed the easy solution:)

Thank you for pointing that out. That does the trick.

Regards,

Claudiu

Ps: off topic- is there any better IOS app for the Max! then the manufacturer one? I could not find anything out there on the web.
Massi

Post by Massi »

Hello,
i'm using this thread just because the title is quite right also for my problem :)
My system is cube + wall thermostat in every room + radiator thermostats. At the end of the winter, i've removed batteries from radiator thermostats, but i wanted to keep the wall thermostats active (to have room temperature even in summer).
It seems to me that this is impossible. Wall thermostats loose connections to the cube and stop reporting temperature.
Can you confirm this? as far as you know, is there a way to get them working even without radiator thermostats?
Thanks
bye
pbrand

Post by pbrand »

I think you have to remove the device in the Max software itself, because they no longer exist which will result in communication errors.

But I would advise against removing the batteries from the radiator thermostats since they have a built in mechanism to shortly open and close again once a week. Which prevents the pin in your physical radiator to get stuck (caused by the calcium in the water).
Massi

Post by Massi »

you are right, but i read (i think in the max documentation) that they advise to leave radiator thermostat all open in summer, for calcium itself!
So what's the right way? :)

What i do not understand is why the comunication error in radiator thermostat should lock out the wall thermostat comunication, while (for example) comunication error in eco button does not lock anything..
pbrand

Post by pbrand »

Massi wrote:you are right, but i read (i think in the max documentation) that they advise to leave radiator thermostat all open in summer, for calcium itself!
So what's the right way? :)
What you read in the documentation is not the same as what I meant :)

In the documentation they advise to open the valve completely during the summer. But not to disconnect it altogether. And while the valve is completely opened, it will automatically 'decalcify' once a week, normally at saterday 12:00 or so.

So you do both: open the valve (to 100% or set the temperature to the max) and leave the valve operational so it can decalcify every week.

Return to “Homematic, FS20, FHT, ESA and ELV”