Visonic shutdown PowerMax email notification service

Forum about Visonic products like Powermax Plus and Powermax Pro

Moderators: Rene, Willem4ever

junav
Starting Member
Starting Member

Visonic shutdown PowerMax email notification service

Post by junav »

I own a PowerMax Pro panel with a PowerLink2 module.
Few days ago, I received an email from Tyco-Visonic informing about the imminent shutdown of its email event notification service. This service has been active free of charge for years and it was an essential element of the PM “autonomous” alarm reporting system.
With the effective shutdown of this service powerlink module will not be able to address email messages to the powermax owners’ mailbox.
Has anyone else received such bad News form Visonic?
Do you see any alternatives?
bartbakels
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Visonic shutdown PowerMax email notification service

Post by bartbakels »

Maybe , My application provides a solution, however you need a PC connected to the powermax then. Its fairly simple for me to add Email functionalities upon panel changes. More info @ domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=68&amp ... 018#p79018

Bart
Software: HS3, HStouch, Plugwise , BLBackup, BLLatestImage, Zwave, JowiHUE, PHlocation, Netcam, Harmony Plugin, ThinkingCleaner, HSPhone, Eneco Toon Script, Pushover, Visonic Powermax LV Interface

(ON ESXI )on NUC
Phaeton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Phaeton »

And it works really stable! I use it Without issues for weeks now
groeten,
Harry
junav
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by junav »

Thank you, Bart & Phaeton, for your replays.
I saw your solution but, if I’m not wrong, it means stop using powerlink2 module. So, for a Powerlink owner, I think that it would the second best solution.
I am trying another way: emulate the Visonic server. I am “wiresharking” IP traffic between PL2 and Visonic server (212.179.58.186).
I have sawn that PL2 send every 50s an http (GET) call through 8080 port to a php script in the Visonic server (http://212.179.58.186:8080/scritpts/update.php). Visonic server respond with a string of data. It must be a keep-alive (or heartbeat) mechanism.
When an event occur, PL2 send an http (POST) call through 8080 port to an another php script in the Visonic server (http://212.179.58.186:8080/scritpts/notify.php) carrying a XML data stream. This call must be responded with another XML data stream.
So maybe that emulating the answers of these PHP scripts will be possible to stablish the proper connection between PL2 and another notification server under PowerMax owner control.
Saludos.
bartbakels
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by bartbakels »

Junav,

I updated my application with email support now, freely configurable.

domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=68&amp ... 018#p79018

just for your info ;)
Software: HS3, HStouch, Plugwise , BLBackup, BLLatestImage, Zwave, JowiHUE, PHlocation, Netcam, Harmony Plugin, ThinkingCleaner, HSPhone, Eneco Toon Script, Pushover, Visonic Powermax LV Interface

(ON ESXI )on NUC
junav
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by junav »

Thank you bartbakels.
It would have been nice if I would have known of your system before i bought the PL2.
Great effort making your software!
junav
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by junav »

Finally I managed to receive email events without the intervention of Visonic’s server.

After observing the traffic between Visonic server and my PL2 I have successfully build a new server in my house, which emulates the Visonic´s and send notifications e-mail.
The new server (for example a Raspberry) requires Apache with PHP where two scripts emulate Visonic IPMP protocol. I've installed an e-mail client (sSMTP). The Apache server must be configured to listen (also) on port 8080. The mail client connects to a mail server MTA (I have used gmail) where you must create an account (for example alarmamidomicilio@gmail.com). The script notify.php send mails appointed for the mailboxes specified in the Powerlink2 web interface. These mailboxes will receive mail from alarmamidomicilio@gmail.com instead of @visonic.com. Receipt of the notification is even faster than it was from Visonic.
I made an attempt to use a local mail server (MTA) own domain, properly configuring the server and the DNS of my domain, but the problem is that the main mail services (hotmail, gmail) prevent receiving emails from dynamic IPs (eg mine). So I decided to use gmail as MTA.

If there is anybody interested I will post further details.

Saludos cordiales.
Edwin2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Edwin2008 »

Sharing details always good idea
** edwin **
junav
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by junav »

I will write down a small document with my solution, Edwin2008.
But, anyone has received the Visonic annoucement?

Saludos.
Edwin2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Edwin2008 »

Thanks in advance for contributing to this great forum.
** edwin **
junav
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by junav »

People that will be interested can download a firts version of a document where I try to describe my solution for mail notifications.

dropbox.com/s/s2zkjko0ihhfvcm/Configuri ... 2.pdf?dl=0

Saludos.
cjcharles
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by cjcharles »

Im not sure where my last post went, but wanted to say thank you for doing this. It is a great progress towards replacing the Visonic server (which I never trusted anyway)!

Look forwards to seeing it evolve and become way better than the original Visonic service!

Thanks again!
dam
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by dam »

Hi junav,

Where Can I download the update.php and notify.php scripts ?

Thanks !
dam
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by dam »

Hi junav,

I've followed your instructions and it working great !!!

But... when configured with the Visonic event notification service the emails have attached a short video recorded by the Visonic cameras (a 15 seconds Pictures.avi file), when configured with your “autonomous” alarm reporting system it doesn't send the video attached.
Do you think could be possible to do it work too ?

I could send you one of the emails with the video and/or a packet capture of the info send by the panel to Visonic.
Please, let me know.

Regards, and thanks a lot for your contribution !!!
junav
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by junav »

I am happy for your success, Dam
The scripts must be created using an editor and using copy-paste from the document. Probably you want to rebuilt notify.php in your language, adapting it to your preferences or needs.
Unfortunately, I don´t have cameras attached to the Visonic PLink-2. So, I didn’t know anything about the video attached to the email notification. When I was sniffing traffic between my Plink-2 and Visonic notification server, I didn’t see any frame about the .avi video that you point out.
If you want, post the info about the mail with video and I will try to help you.

Saludos.

Return to “Visonic Alarm systems”