Visonic Powermax Powerlink protocol description

Forum about Visonic products like Powermax Plus and Powermax Pro

Moderators: Rene, Willem4ever

nlrb

Re: Powerlink protocol description

Post by nlrb »

Unfortunately this topic seems to have died a bit :(. How can I get people motivated to dive into the protocol a bit more? The easiest way to find more details is with different setups. Maybe a few new messages help to raise the curiosity?

Code: Select all

Msg Snd Rcv  Len  Resp Description
A3	X	X	15	A3	Zone names (locations)
A6	X	X	15	A6	Zone types
AC	X	X	15	AC	X10 names (locations)
rolk
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by rolk »

Hi,

I'm entering this discussion with a keen interest in this protocol. I'd like to get a PowerMax+ interfaced with my 'MeterkastPC' that is in close proximity. Two things prevent me from actively taking part in the discussion:

1) no RS232 interface (yet).

The Visonic RS232 adapter for the PowerMax+ is hard to come by these days. Some webshops have them on sale, but ultimately can't deliver them. It also seems rather expensive for a line driver and some plastic bits. Does someone here have a pinout of the *board* connector (I believe it is 12 pins) on the PowerMax+ PCB? Or perhaps someone that can take some decent hi-res photos of the original RS232 adapter from Visonic?

2) I seem to have an old PowerMax+. It has old firmware (a.o. it cannot connect to the newer battery-operated wireless outdoor siren). It doesn't have an option in its menu for PowerLink enrollment/features. So I'm not sure that it supports this protocol at all. I'm willing to upgrade to a new PowerMax+ panel if need be. But I do have to figure out how to connect to the serial interface first.

Can someone help me along with connecting?
rolk
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by rolk »

Some success! Last night my new Powermax+ panel arrived. My old panel has old firmware and I was told by Visonic that it could not be updated. It has no powerlink features. So I bought a new Quickfit kit as the additional sensors were welcome and I really would like to get the alarm connected to our 'meterkast pc'.

I've traced the 2x7 pin header's pins, and have found that indeed two pins on this header are TXD and RXD. If you are interested, have a look at the attached picture (scroll down). There is a 2x7 pin header on the Powermax+ labeled J7. If you look at this pin header such that the label is normally readable, the 3 rightmost pins of the top row are GND, RXD and TXD. (The attached picture has this header shown 'upside down'.)

J7

XXX XXX XXX XXX GND RXD TXD

XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX

I attached a Sparkfun Basic 3V3 to these pins, selected proper serial communication and was able to communicate with the panel using a Windows XP pc running the Visonic Remote Programmer application, and also using a tiny test program on my meterkast pc that runs Ubuntu 12.04.

I'm a bit puzzled because I think that the Powermax+ panel's CPU is powered with 5V, and the IO voltage for a logic high on its UART pins must be at least 4V, while the FTDI board only does 3V3. I've got to measure the actual power supply of the CPU to make sure the right IO voltages are used, but I'm quite pleased so far.
Attachments
Serial pin assignment Powermax+
Serial pin assignment Powermax+
pins.jpg (73.11 KiB) Viewed 1142507 times
rolk
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by rolk »

The Powermax+ CPU (M3062LFGPFP) is supplied with 5V. Verified that on my older panel that is retired now. I have no reason to believe that the electrical characteristics have changed, so I have to assume that the CPU is actually out-of-spec tolerant of the 3V3 TX level from my FTDI board, or that board has been patched previously to work at 5V (as this part has been rescued from a pile of electronics, that might be the case). So to be sure, use proper level shifters to work with TTL TX/RX levels or a 5V IO USB-RS232 converter.
uAlex73

Post by uAlex73 »

Just want to let everybody know the PowerMaster 30 also uses the Powerlink protocol and works fine via the dual RS-232 option and direct connection (connected to the PL 10 pin connector as described on the forum).

I saw already some difference (e.g. status update isn't 9/14 but 16 lines) with the other Visonic devices and will report these back soon in this thread for other users to use (or abuse :-)) .
DomotiGa / Z-Wave / RFXCom / Visonic PowerMaster / Home Assistant / Zigbee2MQTT / DSMR Reader / Toon1 (rooted)
tek
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by tek »

uAlex73 wrote:Just want to let everybody know the PowerMaster 30 also uses the Powerlink protocol and works fine via the dual RS-232 option and direct connection (connected to the PL 10 pin connector as described on the forum).

I saw already some difference (e.g. status update isn't 9/14 but 16 lines) with the other Visonic devices and will report these back soon in this thread for other users to use (or abuse :-)) .
Interesting. I got my powermaster 30 some weeks ago, and hope to start tampering with this unit soon.
Orderered the 30 to get both Dual rs232 AND IP port.

Where you able to get status updates for devices? as soon as i connect to my CP i get "Control panel locked"
Status is not shown - but i am able to log in with hex and send arm / disarm - but that does not trigger anything before i disconnects the cable from rs232 again.
uAlex73

Post by uAlex73 »

@tek:

I didn't have much time to play with my PowerMaster, but i don't have the behavior as your describing with my setup. I connected my DomotiGa to the RS-232 (left port), using a FTDL USB-to-Serial converter. Which software you using to connect to the PM?

When i am connected, i get 60 seconds updates about the status of the panel (ready, armed, etc). I don't get status updates from the sensors automatically, but i can do some polling. That is what i still need to figure out, i want/need updates from the sensors - then i can use them in DomotiGa events :-)
DomotiGa / Z-Wave / RFXCom / Visonic PowerMaster / Home Assistant / Zigbee2MQTT / DSMR Reader / Toon1 (rooted)
uAlex73

Post by uAlex73 »

@nlrb:

I am trying to get my PowerMaster 30 work as as i want. I manage to get the status update from the PM30 (after i send a message). How can i get "near" real-time sensor updates from the PM30 as you have build into the Vera package?

None of those messages are send out on the serial on this moment?
wwolkers

Post by wwolkers »

@uAlex:
Try the PowerLink port instead of the serial port. Works for me.
tek
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by tek »

@uAlex73, after som more fiddeling With my pm30 Connected to my vera, i have the same behaviour as you describe.
I am not able to automatically detect zones ( Devices) but if i manualy enable each zones that i know is enabled i am able to poll out information of the sensors. (but that is more a micasaverde thing)

@wwolkers, what port is the powerlink port instead? i have the PM30, With a dual rs232 Interface Connected. I am using the Left port of the dual-rs232
wwolkers

Post by wwolkers »

uAlex73

Post by uAlex73 »

I tested with the dual RS232 (left port too) and the PowerLink port and i didn't detect a different in usage.
wwolkers

Post by wwolkers »

weird. that would mean that you could register your powerlink on the normal RS232 ports?

Most probably all the serial ports are then configured the same, only the power options might differ.
uAlex73

Post by uAlex73 »

Yes, when i finally fired out how the powerlink communication is started, i got it working on the RS232 too :D

Just send an invalid download request, and the PM30 will ask you to enroll :-)
tek
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by tek »

I`m finally ready to continiue where i had to stop when work took all my time some weeks back alex,
HAve anyone done some more progress with the PIR`s on the PM30 ?

Return to “Visonic Alarm systems”