Visonic PIR and Homeseer. Nice information

Forum about Visonic products like Powermax Plus and Powermax Pro

Moderators: Rene, Willem4ever

olof

Visonic PIR and Homeseer. Nice information

Post by olof »

While discussing with Paul ('Sooty') the possibilities of Homeseer and Gate control in a different forum discussion, he mentioned some very interesting information on Visonic PIR's and Homeseer. That bit of info was off-topic for that discussion, but quite relevant topic here.

So, I've taken the liberty of re-posting that bit here as it could be beneficial info for others.

Author: Sooty
Original thread on Homeseer and Gate control: domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=13& ... amp;t=6856
I have used Visonic devices extensively over the last few years for a number of reasons. Firstly, they have been 100% reliable for me. They seem to have a very good battery life, range is very good and they are so easy to interface into Homeseer via RFXCOM.

There are a couple of downsides, one of which is that the PIR sensors are not really any good for anything other than security. The reason is that they have about a 3 minute reset time after being triggered. This means that they are not really good for triggering lighting events etc.

I have tried numerous external PIR sensors over the years with variable levels of success, but about a year ago I installed 3 Visonic Tower MCW external PIR's and I must say that I am very impressed with them. I can't remember having any false triggers on these sensors.
When integrating an existing collection of Visonic devices into Homeseer via RFXCOM , it can be a bit more hassle because you have a bunch of devices showing in the list but you don't know which devices they actually are. I managed this by adding all the devices with no name, activating the tamper on each device in turn and then re naming them. I have an ultra-reliable solid state Homeseer setup that can stay up for many months, but I still don't trust it 100% to look after the alarm functions hence the Visonic panel.

Many motion sensors have the ability to configure the elapsed time with no motion before the no motion signal is sent. This works well with lighting because whilst there is constant motion, the off signal is never sent. The Visonic sensors have a fixed reset time of about 3 minutes and this is not extended if motion continues, so the no motion signal is always sent after the 3 minutes. You can do the logic in Homeseer as I do to control some outside lights on triggering of a TOWER PIR, but its a lot more hassle than having the sensor do it. I get around this by setting an off time of 4 minutes after a trigger. This way every new trigger will cancel any existing off event and add another 4 minutes of on time. Not perfect but it works in a fashion.

I have 4 of the Tower MCW's and I can say that they have been 100% reliable for me. Honestly, I can't remember getting any false triggers from them.
Cheers,
Olof
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Visonic PIR and Homeseer. Nice information

Post by Rene »

This information is not correct. The Visonic PIR do not send a no motion signal. After sending a motion signal they go to sleep for 2 minutes. When there is still motion after these 2 minutes nothing happens. If there is no motion after these 2 minutes the next time motion is detected the motion signal is send again.
Rene.
Sooty

Re: Visonic PIR and Homeseer. Nice information

Post by Sooty »

This information is not correct. The Visonic PIR do not send a no motion signal. After sending a motion signal they go to sleep for 2 minutes. When there is still motion after these 2 minutes nothing happens. If there is no motion after these 2 minutes the next time motion is detected the motion signal is send again
Sorry, my mistake. Its a few years since I set my Visonic sensors up with Homeseer. I failed to remember that the RFXCOM plug-in resets the sensor state in Homeseer to normal after some time. It thought that this time was 3 minutes, but I have just tested some sensors on my system and it seems to be just under 3 minutes.

I have just done some testing with RFReceiver and I notice that some of my motion sensors can actually re-trigger in much less than 2 minutes. See below: Sensor address 3ADFCB has transmitted the alert signal 3 times in under 1 minute. This is strange because it does not happen all the time. Sometimes a sensor will not re-trigger and other times the same sensor will re-trigger many times. Nevertheless the Visonic sensors have been very reliable for me and average battery life for my PIR's is about 2 years.

10/11/2011 18:20:47= MOTION[3ADFCB]S / 15071 Visonic motion sensor Alert addr:3ADFCB CB ID:64348 from SLAVE
10/11/2011 18:20:52= MOTION[3ADFCB]S / 15071 Visonic motion sensor Alert addr:3ADFCB CB ID:64348 from SLAVE
10/11/2011 18:21:03= MOTION[6207CB]S / 25095 Visonic motion sensor Alert addr:6207CB CB ID:57414 from SLAVE
10/11/2011 18:21:08= MOTION[3ADFCB]S / 15071 Visonic motion sensor Alert addr:3ADFCB CB ID:64348 from SLAVE

Return to “Visonic Alarm systems”