PowerLink2 not backed by battery

Forum about Visonic products like Powermax Plus and Powermax Pro

Moderators: Rene, Willem4ever

junav
Starting Member
Starting Member

PowerLink2 not backed by battery

Post by junav »

Recently I have purchased a PowerLink2 module for my PowerMax Pro.
Reading the user guide available on the website of Visonic, on page 10 you can read a note that says:
"PowerLink2 operation is not backed up by the control panel's battery and it is shut down during failure."
Personally I find this behaviour a very serious limitation. First because it is not advised in any pre-sale document/info and distributors do not know about this. Secondly, and more important, it obviously produces a huge security hole. I have a UPS providing coverage to the ADSL router for Internet access and other network elements. I have not covered the PowerMax because the UPS has their own battery system (in my case reinforced by a second battery) and secondly because I found very interesting that PowerMax report when an AC power failure.

I guess the v3.75 pins of the PC/IP connector supply power to the module PLink2. Someone believe that it would be possible to derive battery power (3 cells = 3,6v) to these pins and have some time to notify the IP PLink2?

I would appreciate your comments.

Saludos.
Juan
mc_alistair
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: PowerLink2 not backed by battery

Post by mc_alistair »

Hi,

The same behaviour is also on the PowerLink 1, I hoped they would have fixed it with the PowerLink 2 but it seems not to be the case :(
What you can do is put your Powermax (and thus also your powerlink) behind a small/tiny UPS as well.
When a power outage occurs then both Powermax and powelink stay online.
Only when your UPS is depleted then the Powerlink will go off-line and your powermax will stay on-line on his internal battery.

Cheers,

Benjamin
junav
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by junav »

Hola,

Using a UPS it is a possible solution (the most factible). The small problem in that case is that you miss the PowerMax report (e-mail) when an AC power failure occurs.

Saludos.
mc_alistair
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by mc_alistair »

You could overcome that issue again to create a solution with a Solenoid in combination with a generic all purpose Visonic device. Configure it as 24hour silent alarm and Voila you have your custom build Power Fail alarm... but it will not trigger the build-in Power Fail alarm, thats a pitty a do agree.

Return to “Visonic Alarm systems”