Visonic RIP?

Forum about Visonic products like Powermax Plus and Powermax Pro

Moderators: Rene, Willem4ever

Jeffrey

Visonic RIP?

Post by Jeffrey »

Lately it noticed me, that a lot of Visonic Powermax alarm systems are being offered for sale on this forum. I'm wondering what the reason for this is. So here are some questions for you to determine the state:

1. Is there a better/cheaper alternative?
2. What are the problems/annoyances you experience with Visonic?
3. What's great about it?
4. Why have you switched? (and to what and why?)
5. Are you planning to switch? (to what and why?)
6. If you had to pick a new alarm solution what would you choose? (Visonic, or ?)

Let's settle this one :-)
Jeffrey

Re: Visonic RIP?

Post by Jeffrey »

It's only fair if I go first, so here goes:

People ask me about the Eminent solution, but I don't have any experience with it.
- My rfxcom does not receive all buttonpresses from the keyfobs, but that has more to do with the rfxcom.
- The PIR's/window contacts are sort of useless for other uses, as they won't send new information when a alarm is triggered for several minutes (~15 I thought).

- It's 868mhz which means less interference.
- It's integratable in Homeseer and other domotica solutions.
- It's widely used by fellow domotic enthousiasts, so a lot of knowledge is available.

- I haven't
- I'm considering jeenodes as alternatives, but didn't found the time to execute this.
6. If you had to pick a new alarm solution what would you choose? (Visonic, or ?)
- I guess I'd still go the Visonic route, unless new insights arise from this thread :)
uAlex73

Post by uAlex73 »

Depends on your needs ;) There are cheaper ones, but less reliable or less features
Communication protocol is closed. PowerMaster system don't work properly anymore when connected serial (e.g. PIRs are unuseable).
Reliable
Not yet, but i won't buy another Visonic
Not yet, but thinking about a custom build e.g. with Fibaro
Custom build :-)
DomotiGa / Z-Wave / RFXCom / Visonic PowerMaster / Home Assistant / Zigbee2MQTT / DSMR Reader / Toon1 (rooted)
Aliraza1166
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Aliraza1166 »

Configureer de plugin. Je komt in het configuratie menu of via het interface setup menu of door de Powermax button aan the klikken die in het status scherm verschijnt (afhankelijk van je Homeseer instellingen wordt deze button wel of niet zichtbaar).????
jonbanjo
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by jonbanjo »

A bit late in the day but:

I don't know.

I had hoped to be able to use alarm motion sensors as more general motion sensors but they go into a sort of sleep mode fora few minutes after being triggered a couple of times.

(I've no problem with the door sensors but I'm using the serial interface rather than an rfxcom. I'm using one as a "hold" for or bathroom light when the door is closed. It proved to be far more reliable than the homeasy and lightwaverf door sensors I tried previously - I think the only times it has failed to work have been occasions when the serial program crashed - so not the fault of the sensor/alarm system)

Reliable,
Easily and cheaply set up for serial communication.
I'm a bit torn on this as it would be nice if the protocol was open but I'll say the good thing is that the protocol is understood well enough for HA (eg via a plugin) support.

I've no plans to switch

I'd do my research when the time comes. I would be looking for another stand alone system that can interface with HA at least for status reporting. I'd not want an alarm system dependent on the HA software running.

One thing that might put me off another Powermax were some comments I read on a UK security site a couple of years ago when I was looking for some initial setup detail. Some installers over there didn't seem to like this series. As far as I can remember, it had something to do with it not being a full 2 way system. I'm really unsure but rightly or wrongly, while I've not considered it a big issue so far. It is something I would look into if/when the time for replacement comes.

Return to “Visonic Alarm systems”