Suggestion for connecting a USB-to-RS232 cable to a PIC

Forum about all other NON Home automation stuff can be placed here....
Ashleee
Starting Member
Starting Member

Suggestion for connecting a USB-to-RS232 cable to a PIC

Post by Ashleee »

Hi everyone.

I am looking to get a 9 Pin D-Sub female that will plug into a USB to RS232(Male) cable. The USB end is connected to a PC. I will be looking to connect individual pins from the RS232 to circuit board that has a microcontroller (PIC). It will most likely be bare wires on the other end of the D-Sub. The idea will be to send a signal from a PC, via a USB to RS232, which then splits on the D-Sub onto various pins on the circuit board.

I have previously had a D-Sub which allows you to solder wires into the back of the D-Sub, and also has a casing to close the D-Sub up once you have finished soldering the wires. I can't find this now, can anyone recommend one? I have been looking through RS and Farnell and there is all sorts of different options such as filtering etc. I don't know which one will be best for the purpose I am using it for

Also i am looking for pins and sockets that can fit over a D-Sub male and female connector pin, the ones that you crimp onto wires, and also the crimping tool. Can anyone recommend anything?

Return to “Off Topic”