Hoster with external dns setup

Forum about all other NON Home automation stuff can be placed here....
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Hoster with external dns setup

Post by Snelvuur »

Hi,

Does anybody know a good domain hoster, i purely want to have domains registered. I have my own dns servers so i need to be able to point them to it. But the important part is cheap, nice and needs to be able to automatic extend domains (renewal of payment that is) problem is that i have some co.uk domains, some .com some .nl and some .eu even an .io problem is that most of these domain hosters support a lot of domains but not all of them. Thats my primairy objective, finding a domain hoster that has those all (since having multiple ones is just silly)

Thanks,

Erik
// Erik (binkey.nl)
vanisher

Re: Hoster with external dns setup

Post by vanisher »

Noel

Post by Noel »

+1 on transip.nl
--
Maak nu je eigen video bericht online.
Anyone interested in time travel meet me here last Thursday!!
ıɟ ʇ,uɐɔ noʎ buıɥʇʎuɐ ʇɹɐʇs ɹǝʌǝu
redleg
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by redleg »

+1 on transip.nl
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

While transip might have a good service, a good price would be one too. I compared them with places where i have domains now:

7,49 euro per year for .nl i have it now for 5,95 euro a year.
12,50 euro per year for .co.uk, i have that now for 6,32 euro a year (can get almost 3 years for 12,50)
9,99 euro per .com domain, i pay 6,64 euro for that.

As you can see if you have several domains, this adds up. Hence why its pretty hard to find a good one for also a good price, i don't mind if its a euro more but not multiple.
// Erik (binkey.nl)
Phaeton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Phaeton »

Versio might do

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5 met Tapatalk
groeten,
Harry
Noel

Post by Noel »

Transip has a lot of discount actions on the .nl. sometimes as low as 50cnt for a year. .com I normally register at GoDaddy.

.je are cheap when you go directly to Jersey and not through any registrar.

I do not think that you will find one place where everything (domains / hosting) is cheap. You will need to shop around.

Transip you just need to set the ip(s) of where it needs to go to. They have there own DNS.
--
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

Discount only is for the first year, so i don't see that as the real price.

As comparisa, 123-reg in the uk does cheap uk. I am with hetzner, who offers .com via their panel cheap .com .eu and .org. I use namecheap for .io adresses and for everything else (this is an example of a domain hoster that does almost all) is www.domainnameshop.com , problem is that it aint the cheapest with some, but you do get discounts on regular domains if you exceed the number of domains (so you get 1 euro discount on most domains if you have more then 5 domains running there)

On top of that i usually add "cloudflare" the free service, does dns in the panel and does fast resolving from any location (http://blog.cloudflare.com/cloudflare-f ... stest-dns/) and you get free ssl certificate for your site + many more. Also helps against ddos attacks and stuff like that since it acts as a reverse proxy which hides your real ip from the internet (only need use MX record to be not proxied)
// Erik (binkey.nl)
jeroen_

Post by jeroen_ »

I typically use http://www.joker.com, cheap and ease of use, even supports DNSSEC and IPv6 properly.

You can use their DNS servers or your own or just do not delegate the entries at all...
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

Joker is indeed also something like what i mean. Problem is that i dont see .io in their list.
// Erik (binkey.nl)
jeroen_

Post by jeroen_ »

Snelvuur wrote:Joker is indeed also something like what i mean. Problem is that i dont see .io in their list.
Gandi (https://www.gandi.net/) has .io for 29EUR/year (and thousands of others because of the nonsense gtld stuff)

I only use Gandi for SSL though; do know some folks using Gandi for their domains and it seems to work fine for them.

And actually speaking of TLDs, I stick to .ch/li as I know the law for those is proper unlike most other TLDs, next to stability etc...
jeroen_

Post by jeroen_ »

you get free ssl certificate for your site + many more. Also helps against ddos attacks and stuff like that since it acts as a reverse proxy which hides your real ip from the internet (only need use MX record to be not proxied)
Ask yourself what the point of a 'free SSL' certificate is when the company that gives it to you can read along as they have full capability to MITM the connection and provide another 'free SSL' certificate... Just think about it, there is a reason why they are providing 'free' service to so many shady outfits....

Not that SSL in general is not broken because of the CA model and likely the code or even just the crypto behind it.

At minimum use https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Certifi ... ey_Pinning using the "Public-Key-Pins" HTTP header.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

Only use this on my "pet" projects, on my real customers i get a real certiticate. Ghandi does seems to have them all though, but .com is double the price of what i have now. I think i should just live with the fact that if you need different ones that you need to use different providers...
// Erik (binkey.nl)
Noel

Post by Noel »

For the more exotic tld's I sometimes use eurodns.com
--
vanisher

Post by vanisher »

You want ease of use and preferably one registar.... and for the lowest price possible.. quality and low price are not friends.

Return to “Off Topic”