Anyone here into 3D printing?

Forum about all other NON Home automation stuff can be placed here....
vincenttor

Re: Anyone here into 3D printing?

Post by vincenttor »

Where do you live Noel?
Noel

Post by Noel »

Almere
--
Maak nu je eigen video bericht online.
Anyone interested in time travel meet me here last Thursday!!
ıɟ ʇ,uɐɔ noʎ buıɥʇʎuɐ ʇɹɐʇs ɹǝʌǝu
Noel

Post by Noel »

Is this a good option for a SLA printer?

http://www.solid3d.nl/about/
--
r_255
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by r_255 »

Sounds good/looks ( large formats ), but i am not sure about the flex resin container. I would want to see a demo 1st.
And make sure you realise you need a dlp beamer to.

The used slicer is from the mentioned forum, buildyourownsla.. the admin pacmanfan ( Steve ) wrote that piece of free software.
they also have a commercial machine section, so i guess you will find more info over there..

There arent many large brand names into this, and many commercial printer are launched at the forum ( see commercial section )
I would contact the maker in enschede and ask for a demo of your object ! could also save you a lot of errors starting up with your model.

but it looks a bit like this model : only that one doesnt use a flexible vat ( you rather would have a solid one like in this link )
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/solu ... -printer#/
vincenttor

Post by vincenttor »

Haha, got me interested as well, trying to see what program i can use and draw some stuff in 3d
Also looking into a Fiber laser and galvo laser scanning head to rebuild 1 of the lasers i have here already to galvo scanning.
So the fablab is coming closer haha.
Very interesting things on the forum link you shared.

r_255
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by r_255 »

Well software to draw in is like what do you prefer for dinner.....

To be honnest there isnt one program i use, but its more like a bunch....
I have learned myself a bit of 3d ages ago when 3dsmax was still running on a intel i386 and needed 64MB internal memory to run.

I have tried many programs, commercial and opensource... but some how i always draw my stuff in max and export it to other programs for further processing.
I guess if you need to learn things from scratch, programs like autodesk inventor, or solidworks, creo stuff is the way to go. Its just another way of drawing 3d.
Or have a look at programs like rhino, blender or sketchup.

for post processing on 3d prints i can recommend autodesk meshmixer ( is free )
easy adjustments on faces, wall thickness and supports. Smooth 3d models with brushes and much more stuff you would like as 3d printer.
but beware, it needs kind of a fast processor or a person with patience.

Kewl, the fiber laser..... i have been looking into lasers recently and also had a look at laser diodes in a matrix bundeled thru a fiber ( 60w coherent matrix ).
I almost bought a redsail ( chinese laser cutter ) 60w co2, but somehow the quality issues in combination with laser is what kept me.
vincenttor

Post by vincenttor »

I see daily drawings made in inventor, its also a great program to test stuff you draw.
Company's that i work for make tanks and test everything in the software so see if all goes ok.
Haven't tried drawing yet in this program , but not sure if i will get it.

What i plan to make with the 3d printer aren't statue or chess pieces etc, more productive stuff that i actually really can and do use.
So it will not be very difficult compared to a statues or detailed stuff like a Eiffel tower, stll i understand that it doesn't draw itself and i need to learn for it.

About the laser, yes, quality is a problem most of the times.
My experience has been well , 70/30 as 70% in good and 30% not great.
You do need to get the bugs out , faulty wiring,not shielded.
Machine i bought a few years ago 60Watt laser works ok.
But when it is in my bigger garage at home i will take it apart and do some modifications and set everything straight.

It more a problem of time that i do not have to build a machine myself, since it is not that hard to do in the end if you look into some drawings.
A router is not so difficult but if it needs a bit more attention because of all the tension that can come on the frame resulting in strange things.
A flying optics laser is fun but its very very slow i must add to the story.
Ah well, will see what happens next year, the plans are not to leave my house that much anymore and i can make the stuff from there and sell it.
Not doing it that much as i like to do, coming days im in a hotel again in Eindhoven and Venlo ;(
r_255
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by r_255 »

Well i have to say that inventor is difficult for me to use, as i am used to a different way of drawing.
But from what i have seen it so easy to adjust your things. Also love the way you build things in parts and out of these parts you make a assembly
so you can see your stuff fits right, and even simulate if it works. But i do agree that it has a very steep learning curve.

I have tried some simple things in sketchup and that fun and easy to use.. simply wacht a few how to's and your up and running for simple 3d shapes and stuff.

Sofar i am still looking for a good 3d scanner as it would be so easy to make a 3d picture of the enviroment, so you can make your printed object fit perfect.

I think my cnc frame is pretty stiff for a table of 110 x 60 in weights about 120kg. Base frame is welded steel, and straightened afterwards. portal is 10mm aluminum. But if i should do it again, i would cast some concrete to make a stable frame, including vacuum table and drainage if cooling is needed. The option to add a laser ( thats where the laser diode matrix comes in ), or use the z-axis for sla dlp printing.

Well thats the whole problem with all these maker things, you can all diy it... but then time becomes a issue !

take care down south !
Noel

Post by Noel »

@ r_255

Sorry to bump this old thread.

I'm still with my XYZ Davinci Pro, and having a lot of fun with it!
Most projects look great (even better after a vapor smoothing).

Unfortunately I'm not able to make the "dome" that I need rainproof!

Any change that you make a SLA version for me (will pay for it).
Max high is: 190mm.
Will email you the needed files if okay.

You can reach me at Image
--
r_255
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by r_255 »

Hey Noel,

Always willing to help but, to be honest i think sla is not going to work as you want a closed construction.....
Dome will deform due to the resin that stays inside the dome while the lift is going up and down and the effect gets stronger while the dome tries to closeup those last layers.

I have tried many times, but failed even more...
If you send me the files i will have a look and see what i can come up with.

i will drop you a line for the files.

Return to “Off Topic”