Small internal PSU for Arduino / PI projects etc

Pop your questions regarding Home automation Domotica hardware here.....
hydrogenetic
Starting Member
Starting Member

Small internal PSU for Arduino / PI projects etc

Post by hydrogenetic »

I'm after a small PSU to power an Arduino internally within the project case direct from 240v mains. This will be used to create a PDU type device i.e. for mains switching so I'd like to avoid the unnecessary clutter of an external PSU when the mains already has to run to the case anyway. It will also be useful for future reference whenever a small internal PSU is required as part of a project.

My knowledge of electronics is pretty basic so I'm really after an off the shelf component rather than building my own circuit. I have located a small self contained PCB mount SMPS which seems to be available at a reasonable price. It actually seems a bit too straightforward given the normal size and components of a PSU. There is a choice of wattage and voltage to meet requirements.

sample device synopsis...

Code: Select all

over power, over current and short circuit protection
17g PCB mounted
3600Vrms primary to secondary isolation
-25°C to +70°C operating temperature (full load)
low ripple and noise and >74% efficiency
Output 5V DC
Input 90 to 264V AC, 47 to 63Hz
Ultra-compact size
Single 3W regulated output (5-pin)
Low standby power <0.3W
Encapsulated design
Materials UL94-V0
Safety rated EN61558, EN60950, CE, UL
Dimensions 24 x 23 x 19mm
http://www.rapidonline.com/electrical-p ... ut-84-2724

There was no reference circuit and it basically looks ready to use (connect mains to input and use dc direct from output) but as I don't design circuits I'm wondering if there should be any additional circuitry to make it work reliably / safely / properly etc?
I did spot an IEC with a built in EMI filter but I assume that is an optional part of the circuit anyway?

Return to “Questions & Discussions Forum”