[Hardware] Choice of server hardware

Pop your questions regarding Home automation Domotica hardware here.....
raymonvdm

[Hardware] Choice of server hardware

Post by raymonvdm »

There are a lot of options regarding the choice of hardware to use with domotica and i`m looking for a new hardware setup. I`m currently running HomeSeerPro(2) on a Asus EEE Box B202 machine with 2GB ram and 128GB SSD it is working but the machine is slow sometimes which can result in slow response and when a sensor is activated it can take some time for the lights to go on.

When i startup HomeSeer on my laptop (Core I5) it is started within seconds and much faster then the EEE Box, but i need this laptop for work :twisted: I don`t want to buy a complete controller like Vera Edge, Fibaro HC2, Fibaro HCL because they are too closed for my needs. I would like to buy a "cheap" hardware pc platform with "full" power cpu resources to run my Domotica software on

In my quest for the new box i found the following solution and would like to know if it is fast enough for HomeSeer (or OpenHAB since i`m using both)

GIGABYTE BRIX GB-BXBT-2807 as i also found (dutch) out that is seems to be as slow as a Intel Atom CPU (which the B202 has)

Note:
  • I already tested DomotiGa on a RaspberryPI (B) but it has too few ports for all my interfaces, even using multiple USB Hubs.
  • I`m also running OpenHAB / Domotiga on another B202 using Ubuntu Server 14.04
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
mhn

Re: [Hardware] Choice of server hardware

Post by mhn »

Hi.

I run Homeseer on Intel NUCs. HS2 runs on an "old" Celeron.

For HS3 I bourght one with Core 13-4010U. HS3 isn't daily use yet.

I am very satisfied with the NUCs for HS.

Regards
Morten
abl

Post by abl »

I'm also looking to refresh my hardware, so am very interested in this topic.
For my domotica to work I would need a serial port (don't like as much the usb->serial converters as I understood these are not that stable; I couldn't find one of these on the Intel NUC's or am I wrong?
mhn

Post by mhn »

You are right NUCs are USB only.

I use them with a powered USB hub. I have no serial devices.

Regards
Morten
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

I`m also using a Powered USB Hub on my B202 because RS232 ports are rare on systems these days
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s

Return to “Questions & Discussions Forum”