Using Unipi to switch lights

Pop your questions regarding Home automation Domotica hardware here.....
giz_zmo
Starting Member
Starting Member

Using Unipi to switch lights

Post by giz_zmo »

Hi everyone, I looked in to the UniPi http://unipi.technology to use it as a home automation controller for my lights in the house.
Now I’m not sure if it can do what I’m looking for, so if anyone can help me on my way that would be great!
UniPi.jpg
UniPi.jpg (7.38 KiB) Viewed 5868 times
At the moment my lights are switched by Hager EPN513 DIN Bistable or Latching relays (we call them Teleruptors).
teleruptor.jpg
teleruptor.jpg (12.44 KiB) Viewed 5868 times
The relays switches 240 Volts to my lamps by connecting 24 Volts buttons to it. So when I press a button on the wall it sends 24 Volts to the relay and the relays switches the 240 Volt.
schema.JPG
schema.JPG (16.35 KiB) Viewed 5868 times
Now my question is, how can I use the unipi to switch my relays and still keep the 24 volt buttons, AND I need to know the state of the relays. Say I switch the lamp on with the UniPi and back out with the button. My software needs to know what happened there …

I was thinking to connect my buttons to the digital inputs of the Unipi (not sure if 24 Volts is going to work) and connect my DIN relays to the relays on the UniPi. So than I can digitally turn my lights on/off with the UniPi and still use my buttons, sins they also switch the UniPi.
Will this setup work?

If this works there is only 1 problem … The UniPi becomes the single point of failure. Not that I don’t trust the quality of the UniPi, but things just happen. UniPi dead … no more lights.
So is there another, better solution for my idea?

As a side note, I’m looking in to http://www.openhab.org for controlling the UniPi, so if anyone knows if there is already a binding for it, that would be great !!!

Many Thx!
David
raymonvdm

Re: Using Unipi to switch lights

Post by raymonvdm »

U can connect the button and the relay of the UniPi and switch them parallel of each other

When one the two switches is closed the light is on. Another option is to use the inputs on the UniPi (are there any inputs on it?)to switch the outputs but if the UniPi fails ..... :(

OpenHAB has a binding for EXEC which possibly works for the UniPi. This is an example for a cheap 433Mhz (ebay) module which uses a binary programs to send the commands

Code: Select all

Switch Light_GF_Woonkamer_Raam                  "Raam"                  (GF_Woonkamer, Lights) {exec=">[OFF:sudo /home/pi/wiringPi/examples/lights/kaku M 12 OFF] >[ON:sudo /home/pi/wiringPi/examples/lights/kaku M 12 ON]"}

Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s

Return to “Questions & Discussions Forum”