Height wall mounted touch screen

Pop your questions regarding Home automation Domotica hardware here.....
Woeka
Starting Member
Starting Member

Height wall mounted touch screen

Post by Woeka »

I'm planning to use a 3.5" touch screen with a raspberry pi to control stuff like lights, heating, audio, ventilation in each room and maybe show some stats on them also.

I'd like to place them in the wall using an in-wall junction box (inbouwdoos [Dutch]). Because I have to make a hole in the wall for the junction box I need to know the high of the screen. Is there a standard high for stuff like this, like light switches which normally are at a high of 105cm above the floor.

Because I don't own a system like this a have no hands on experience. I am thinking of a height of 140cm above the floor. Because you have to be able to look at it to know which button to push a high of 105cm is to low. At eye level is a bit to much in my opinion. Any other thoughts on the matter.
giz_zmo
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Height wall mounted touch screen

Post by giz_zmo »

Hi Woeka,

Look at this guys project ... that looks really cool. But don't forget, this is a very time consuming project!
It fits in a normal (inbouwdoos) so maybe you could integrate it with you normal push buttons ... no need for extra junction boxes.
If you really want to make this sort of controls you need read up on as much info as you can found and go from there.
make sure you look at viewing angles for your displays ... this can make a big difference! not only vertically but also horizontal, sins you will look at the display from above.

When i build my house I made a hole in the living room wall to integrate a touchscreen, but at that time I did not know how or what that exactly would be.
So after making the hole I cut a peace of Styrofoam (harde isolatie plaat) en filled the hole with it, and we even covered it with gypsum (bezetting).

Now 8 years later the hole is still covered, and my glad i did initially .... maybe some day :-)

GreetZ,
David
Woeka
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Woeka »

I think you forgot to put in the link.
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

I placed an android 7" touchscreen on a height of arround 160cm so the kids cannot touch it :D and you`re facing it on eye height
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s

Return to “Questions & Discussions Forum”