amazon echo

Pop your questions regarding Home automation Domotica hardware here.....
Akatar

amazon echo

Post by Akatar »

i own a couple of amazon echo's and i like to know if there is a way to make her say something,
like:
when the back door is open: backdoor is open
better then my wife shouting: THERE IS SOMEONE AT THE DOOR

is there a skill that can manage this?
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Re: amazon echo

Post by Bwired »

I have an echo too now :)
i don't think this is possible, for now everything needs to be activated by the word "Alexa"
Would be great if amazon added this feature
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rene »

I own a Google Home which also acts as a chromecast renderer. This means you can cast an audio message to it.
Rene.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

thats better and very nice option :), can you fully control your devices also now.
please tell what is possible:)
Akatar

Post by Akatar »

maybe it's time to switch to google home :)
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rene »

I have created a hue bridge using node.js and integrated my lights this way. I also created an IFTTT endpoint for the maker applet to control the heating. Via IFTTT you can control everything but there is no feedback. For instance, you cannot ask wether the lights are on. Via the hue bridge you can ask wether the lights are on. Currently I'm experimenting notifications using chromecast. First findings are that it has a significant delay.
Rene.
Akatar

Post by Akatar »

i am using a dot, when i ask her to do the lights on, she responds with okay
with the google home there is no feedback at all?
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

amazon echo

Post by Rene »

Yes the Google Home responds with OK turning the lights in the living room off (for instance). But when you trigger actions via IFTTT you can only respond with a predefined message. If the action cannot be performed for whatever reason, the response will still be the predefined one.
Rene.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

@Rene you use the ha-bridge for this, I also do and can re-use the Hue interface for own things, this way i can turn lights on and off and open close curtains etc. works all perfectly
for alexa you can add also skills, its a bit complexer.
you than can ask alexa like this: Alexa ask bwired what is the temperature..... you can give a value back and alexa will say this.
Its not only the skill you need own server software as well.
Im busy doing this but takes a while to accomplish :-)
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rene »

I am not using ha-bridge anymore, I created my own bridge using node.js to integrate it fully in my setup. Google has something called activities. You can code your own activities but they need to be hosted in the google cloud.
Rene.
richard naninck

Post by richard naninck »

Trying to get myself an Echo as well. I use HouseBot and it has native support for Echo using the HouseBot portal and the Alexa App HouseBot skill. I can't wait to start trying and watched many video's on how to create skills. Would be nice to Ask for stuff with my HA setup return the answers.
One thing I don't get is why I only see deviceType: Switch. A Switch can be turn on and off and it is kind of strange to turn on the curtains or the garagedoor. Siri HomeBridge holds many different deviceTypes with each device having its own way to address by voice. Hopefully Alexa will get that at some point. First I would like it to speak Dutch though;)
If you guys have more intell on deviceTypes or if I missed something, please let me know.
If any of you have an extra Echo or Dot willing to sell, please also let me know :D

Return to “Questions & Discussions Forum”